PDA

View Full Version : If everyone progresses as you hope they will...what's your starting lineup in 2015?

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Not what you think Mullen will do, but what you would do if players progressed as hoped and if you set the lineups. Here's what I came up with as my two deep if things go the way I hope they do....

Offense:

QB - Dak/Fitz

RB - JRob/Shump

WR - Wilson/Morrow
Ross/Brown
Myles/Gray

TE - Hutcherson/Dixon

OL - I have no clue, but I'd love to see Malone, Senior, Clayborne, and Rankin in the starting group.

Defense:

DE - Brown/Coleman
DE - Jefferson/Dale
DT - Jones/James
DT - N Adams/C Thomas

MLB - Richie/Gerri
OLB - Benny/Dez
OLB - Jung/JT Gray

CB - Redmond/Cleveland
CB - Calhoun/Jiles
S - Bryant/Evans
S - Peters/Coman

Special Teams:

K - Sobes
Holder - Fitz

P - Cooke
PR - Ross

KR - Redmond and Ross

ST Coach - New guy

JDog13
12-01-2014, 10:10 PM
You did pretty good to me.

Thompson92
12-01-2014, 10:17 PM
PR-Myles
I think guys like Graham and Hutch have a lot of potential as receivers, and we have a lot of talent coming in.
CBs will be even better, OL will be fine, LBs will be outstanding (again).
As long as the safeties improve, we get a couple more OL recruits, and the D-Line doesn't decline, we should have a pretty good team.

GTHOM
12-01-2014, 10:21 PM
I agree with your starting group, my OL would be Clayborne at C, Desper at LG, Malone RG, Robinson/Rankin/Flowers RT or LT. Id like to see Jesse Jackson, Shelby Christy and BJ Hammond rotating in at WR and TE. Everything else we are exact same.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 10:22 PM
PR-Myles
I think guys like Graham and Hutch have a lot of potential as receivers, and we have a lot of talent coming in.
CBs will be even better, OL will be fine, LBs will be outstanding (again).
As long as the safeties improve, we get a couple more OL recruits, and the D-Line doesn't decline, we should have a pretty good team.

It wouldn't bother me to see Myles at KR. I want a guy that can take a hit and hold on to the ball....that guy is not Holloway. As for PR, I love having Ross there because he's a big physical guy compared to Graham. Honestly, the reason I say Redmond and Ross on KR, is because I feel like those 2 guys are probably the most naturally gifted athletes we have on our team. They both have instincts and play making ability that give them the chance at breaking a big one at any time. That's what I want in a KR and PR. I like Gabe Myles a lot....but I don't think he has quite the big play ability of Ross and Redmond. He's close though.

Thompson92
12-01-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm with you. All good options.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
If things go the way I WANT them to go (which realistically won't happen...but since you asked).

OFFENSE

QB- Dak
RB- 1A Robinson 1B Shumpert with Aeries Williams mixed in.
WR- Bear
WR- Morrow
WR- Ross
WR- Brown
Slot- Gray
H-back- Dixon
LT- Senior
LG- Desper
C- Clayborn
RG- Malone
RT- Robinson- OK, let's face it. IF he steps up and is healthy it would be huge for us even though it's not likely.

DEFENSE

DE- Chris Jones but in better shape.
DT- James
DT- Quay- Again we're talking about what we hope happens.
DE- Brown
SAM- Gray
MIKE- McKinney- I hope he comes back, but that won't happen. Would be nice though.
WILL- Beniquez
S- Calhoun
S- Peters
CB- Redmond
CB- Giles

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Sobiesk
P- Bell
KR/PR- Gray

This above lineup would be the absolute best case scenario IF everything fell into place. Which it won't. But that's OK.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 10:31 PM
It wouldn't bother me to see Myles at KR. I want a guy that can take a hit and hold on to the ball....that guy is not Holloway. As for PR, I love having Ross there because he's a big physical guy compared to Graham. Honestly, the reason I say Redmond and Ross on KR, is because I feel like those 2 guys are probably the most naturally gifted athletes we have on our team. They both have instincts and play making ability that give them the chance at breaking a big one at any time. That's what I want in a KR and PR. I like Gabe Myles a lot....but I don't think he has quite the big play ability of Ross and Redmond. He's close though.

I don't remember Holloway fumbling, but I have noticed him going down pretty quickly when he is hit. I do think that any of those choices you mentioned are probably better options.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Starting two freshmen at safety scares the crap out of me. Not saying they aren't talented, but that is scary

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Starting two freshmen at safety scares the crap out of me. Not saying they aren't talented, but that is scary

Not as scary as starting Coman and Evans with a coaching staff that would start them and not bat an eye.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 10:35 PM
I don't remember Holloway fumbling, but I have noticed him going down pretty quickly when he is hit. I do think that any of those choices you mentioned are probably better options.

Yea, Holloway hasn't fumbled, but he is so tiny that I feel like it would be easy to rip it away. Mainly, he is not SEC caliber IMO. If you are that small, you better be able to use your speed, but instead he tip toes on kickoffs and never reaches full speed. He's a waste on KR. The combo of him and RoJo was about as useful as having Clausell and Devon Bell back there returning kicks.

klong-dog
12-01-2014, 10:35 PM
I like all of it but do think I'd swap Redmond for Myles on KR. Mainly because Redmond is much more valuable at DB for us than Myles is in the slot. We have depth there.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Not as scary as starting Coman and Evans with a coaching staff that would start them and not bat an eye.

This^

Starting Coman and Evans scares me shitless. I wouldn't be opposed to moving a Calhoun or Cleveland back there though...but I truly feel like Redmond and Calhoun can be good enough at CB next year that we won't have to put a ton of pressure on our safeties. Maybe they will be able to roam more freely and blitz more often....especially if it's guys like Bryant and Peters that people say are ball hawks. And of course, that will only happen if Collins and Mullen quit being sissies and start being aggressive defensively.

klong-dog
12-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Yea, Holloway hasn't fumbled, but he is so tiny that I feel like it would be easy to rip it away. Mainly, he is not SEC caliber IMO. If you are that small, you better be able to use your speed, but instead he tip toes on kickoffs and never reaches full speed. He's a waste on KR. The combo of him and RoJo was about as useful as having Clausell and Devon Bell back there returning kicks.

Yep been seeing it and saying it all year.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 10:40 PM
I like all of it but do think I'd swap Redmond for Myles on KR. Mainly because Redmond is much more valuable at DB for us than Myles is in the slot. We have depth there.

Pretty good point. A more conservative return group would be Myles and Graham.

klong-dog
12-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Which would be a big time upgrade from what we saw this season. I still can't remember getting past the 25 all year. Myles showed another gear thru out the season, that I didn't know he had, coming in.

SDDawg
12-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Good lineups and frankly a lot to look forward to. The question marks next year look a lot like those we had for this year, but I think we'll have a better outlook at S with Peters and Bryant. I don't think both of them start, but if one of them can step up that's great news. A few things to add:

- We have to find a role for Gray in the return game, he's just too explosive. Graham is an option too if he can overcome his issues from this season, experience and some time may help. I love Ross, great player, but his skill set is better used elsewhere.
- Damian has to be our #2 at QB. He has experience in games that count, he can throw the ball very well and he's a solid in the option game. We have to put in right packages for him to be effective, but I'd like to see more of him next year and his continued development only helps us long term. Not keen on a RS freshman being our #2 unless he's the second coming of Dak. I like Damian for another year.
- I think Thomas will challenge for one of those Guard spots. Based on everything I've heard, Thomas and Flowers will be in the mix for that OL rotation based on their progress this year.

The biggest question mark for me is #3 QB and does Staley or Fitz emerge as a clear #3. Assuming we have all 4 coming back next year (not implying anything here, you just never know) I think the #4 guy has to change positions in the Spring. These guys are too good of athletes to waste away at #4 QB with another coming in. I know these thing "work themselves out", just curious to see how that process unfolds over the next few months.

LC Dawg
12-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I really like our receiver group. I think we can make teams pay next year if they sell out to stop the run. This is assuming our OL comes together, which I think it will, and Mullen gets a little less hard headed, which I really hope happens.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 10:53 PM

I guess the good news for us is that he usually goes down before the ball has a chance to come out. We do need to do something different on KO's for sure. I imagine part of the reason we set school records for total offense is the total yards from having to start every drive on the 20 or worse.

JDog13
This^

Starting Coman and Evans scares me shitless. I wouldn't be opposed to moving a Calhoun or Cleveland back there though...but I truly feel like Redmond and Calhoun can be good enough at CB next year that we won't have to put a ton of pressure on our safeties. Maybe they will be able to roam more freely and blitz more often....especially if it's guys like Bryant and Peters that people say are ball hawks. And of course, that will only happen if Collins and Mullen quit being sissies and start being aggressive defensively.

I was impressed with Cleveland.

klong-dog
Good lineups and frankly a lot to look forward to. The question marks next year look a lot like those we had for this year, but I think we'll have a better outlook at S with Peters and Bryant. I don't think both of them start, but if one of them can step up that's great news. A few things to add:

- We have to find a role for Gray in the return game, he's just too explosive. Graham is an option too if he can overcome his issues from this season, experience and some time may help. I love Ross, great player, but his skill set is better used elsewhere.
- Damian has to be our #2 at QB. He has experience in games that count, he can throw the ball very well and he's a solid in the option game. We have to put in right packages for him to be effective, but I'd like to see more of him next year and his continued development only helps us long term. Not keen on a RS freshman being our #2 unless he's the second coming of Dak. I like Damian for another year.
- I think Thomas will challenge for one of those Guard spots. Based on everything I've heard, Thomas and Flowers will be in the mix for that OL rotation based on their progress this year.

The biggest question mark for me is #3 QB and does Staley or Fitz emerge as a clear #3. Assuming we have all 4 coming back next year (not implying anything here, you just never know) I think the #4 guy has to change positions in the Spring. These guys are too good of athletes to waste away at #4 QB with another coming in. I know these thing "work themselves out", just curious to see how that process unfolds over the next few months.
If I had a guess at it right now... I would say Fitz will be 3rd string and possibly move up to 2nd. I'll say Staley would move to WR or TE.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 10:56 PM
I really like our receiver group. I think we can make teams pay next year if they sell out to stop the run. This is assuming our OL comes together, which I think it will, and Mullen gets a little less hard headed, which I really hope happens.

Dak does have to get better at passing and reading defenses a little bit. It's obvious Dan trusts him more as a runner at this point. Using Robinson and Shumpert as a duo would help. I think Jameon getting hurt took away a lot of our slot WR stuff that we do. Having Gray will help with that. Slot is such a critical position in our offense.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 11:01 PM
QB - Dak/Williams
RB - Josh/Williams
WR - Wilson/Brown
WR - Ross/Morrow
WR - Myles/Gray
TE - Walley/Hutcherson
LT - Senior/Jenkins
LG - Malone/Flowers
C - Clayborn/Calhoun
RG - Desper/Thomas
RT - Johnson (Rankin if we get him)/Warren

DE - Brown/Coleman
DT - Jones/Thomas
DT - Adams (Swain if we get him)/James
DE - Jefferson/Calvin
LB - Brown/Gray
LB - Brown/Green
LB - Jung/Jackson
DB - Calhoun/Cleveland
DB - Redmond/Jiles
S - Coman/Evans
S - Bryant/Peters

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 11:02 PM
I was impressed with Cleveland.

Yea, Cleveland got better and better as the year went on. He may end up being a good one. Was he a freshman this year? I believe he was

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Yea, Cleveland got better and better as the year went on. He may end up being a good one. Was he a freshman this year? I believe he was

True Soph

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 11:05 PM
True Soph

Oh ok.

LC Dawg
12-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Dak does have to get better at passing and reading defenses a little bit. It's obvious Dan trusts him more as a runner at this point. Using Robinson and Shumpert as a duo would help. I think Jameon getting hurt took away a lot of our slot WR stuff that we do. Having Gray will help with that. Slot is such a critical position in our offense.

Everything I've heard about Gray points to him being a stud but it always seems to take our JUCO guys a year to come around to who we need them to be. Should we expect immediate results from Gray? I'm really hoping we can because they say he's a highlight reel at Co-Lin.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Everything I've heard about Gray points to him being a stud but it always seems to take our JUCO guys a year to come around to who we need them to be. Should we expect immediate results from Gray? I'm really hoping we can because they say he's a highlight reel at Co-Lin.

I believe Gray will be considered a Sophomore next year, so he will have 3 years to play if I am not mistaken.

LC Dawg
12-01-2014, 11:39 PM
I believe Gray will be considered a Sophomore next year, so he will have 3 years to play if I am not mistaken.

That's right. He was hurt last year wasn't he? I'm looking forward to seeing him.

JDog13
12-01-2014, 11:40 PM

Was he a 2 or 3? I know for a last minute sign, he looks like he improves every game like you said. I think he'll be good.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Was he a 2 or 3? I know for a last minute sign, he looks like he improves every game like you said. I think he'll be good.

Think he was a 3 star that was about to sign with Georgia Tech but we stole at the last minute. Again, I may be mistaken...just going off memory.

whosyourdawgy
12-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Donald Gray should come in and have every opportunity to be the punt returner and one of the kick returners deep. Brandon Holloway has the speed to be a return man but until he decides to use that speed when he actually catches the ball, he has no business being back there. Gabe Myles needs to be looked at back there as others have stated. And not opposed to Jamoral Graham having a shot at kick returner. Maybe even Keith Mixon. But to me it's Donald Gray and whoever else is the next best option.

What do we do at rb next season. I was all about ready to move Shump to the defensive side of the ball but he changed that during the last 2 games. Is jrob ok? He wasn't himself the last few games But with jrob, Shump, Williams, Lee, and the outstanding freshman in Dear, Mixon, Gibson, and Thomas we have coming in, who is gonna get the carries? WOW!

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 11:57 PM
You're right. We offered in the summer but he committed to Ga Tech. Got him in for a late visit & the rest is history.

Irondawg
12-01-2014, 11:57 PM
I really think the coaches are going to do everything they can to sure up that safety spot since it was just such a glaring hole. Calhoun seems like a good fit there, the downside is he's our most physical corner and really plays the WR screens well.

I would not be surpised in the least if in bowl practices we see Jiles name thrown out there some at safety and maybe even J. Graham a bit to see if he likes it there. I see some potential in Coman but I'm not as high on Evans - he just looks more like a LB type to me.

I think Bryant is going to get as many reps as he can handle those bowl prep weeks to see how ready they can get him.

Irondawg
12-02-2014, 12:02 AM
And Todd, if you WANT Robinson to be our RT then you need to go back and rewatch every game he played. Sure he'd be a veteran but I honestly can't remember a game where he played that he was even decent there. He brings some experience but I don't think he factors into the rotation at all next year if he comes back. Senior locks down one and then hopefully Rankin will come and lock down the other with Warren maybe being the swing guy with Malone the emergency T until some of the younger guys prove ready.

msstate7
12-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Georgia's return guy (punts and kickoffs) is about the same size as holloway. Isaiah Mckenzie (Georgia return man) is 5'8" 164 lbs. and he may be the best return man in the sec. Holloways size in the return game doesn't bother me as much as his lack of talent

thf24
12-02-2014, 08:25 AM
I'll say Staley would move to WR or TE.

I think Staley would probably quit and focus on basketball before changing positions. He'd be a sick TE though.

maroonmania
12-02-2014, 03:01 PM
And Todd, if you WANT Robinson to be our RT then you need to go back and rewatch every game he played. Sure he'd be a veteran but I honestly can't remember a game where he played that he was even decent there. He brings some experience but I don't think he factors into the rotation at all next year if he comes back. Senior locks down one and then hopefully Rankin will come and lock down the other with Warren maybe being the swing guy with Malone the emergency T until some of the younger guys prove ready.

I keep seeing Rankin's name being thrown around like he is a definite possibility but I just don't get a good feel about getting him at all.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 03:21 PM

I want him to be out there IF he can perform. We're talking best case scenario here- and if the light switch goes on for Damien and he can perform that would be HUGE for us. If that happens we won't have to count on a JUCO or Warren nearly as much. Let's not act like a JUCO is the definite easy answer to RT without any risk here. We should be happy if we get another Siddoway if we're being realistic.

Todd4State
12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
I keep seeing Rankin's name being thrown around like he is a definite possibility but I just don't get a good feel about getting him at all.

Let him take his official visits. I think we've got at least a 50/50 shot at him- or better.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2014, 03:25 PM

He's a wanted Offensive Lineman so I feel like it's a long shot that we get him. As much as they all love Hevesy*...none of them want to play for him.

Barking 13
12-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Todd, I'm glad you mentioned Aeris Williams... after what he did in HS at WP, I'm salivating to see what he can do back there...