PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Hazelwood out as Volleyball HC....

War Machine Dawg
12-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Don't know if anyone here cares, but didn't see it mentioned. No real surprise, for anyone paying even slight attention. The program was Croom level bad her first 5 seasons. Still sucks to fire one of our own.

TheRef
12-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah it sucks to fire her, but it needed to happen. Former players were unhappy with the staff. It was a bad situation that needed to be taken out. I'm anxious to see who Scott hires as her replacement.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I vote we make Vic Shaefer pull double duty...***

spudd21
12-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I'll coach volleyball. That's not weird is it?

TheRef
12-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I'll coach volleyball. That's not weird is it?

I mean.....

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/114/423/kayla_upload5_crop_340x234.jpg?1292542247

Dan Dority
12-01-2014, 08:16 PM
The high school's in state need to start playing. not just a few schools every school

TheRef
12-01-2014, 08:18 PM
The high school's in state need to start playing. not just a few schools every school

That would be great...but the equipment is expensive to have a good volleyball setup and I'm not sure if every school has the funds to support a volleyball program.

starkvegasdawg
12-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Mullen to women's volleyball.

DawgPoundRock
12-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Muschamp to womens volleyball

Fred Garvin
12-01-2014, 08:44 PM
That would be great...but the equipment is expensive to have a good volleyball setup and I'm not sure if every school has the funds to support a volleyball program.

Huh? Equipment is not the issue; no more than it would be for basketball. It's gym time and finding someone who knows anything about volleyball to coach. To create competitive volleyball players, they need to be near club programs. That's where the skills are developed and honed. College coaches don't recruit from high schools. They recruit from clubs.

TheRef
12-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Huh? Equipment is not the issue; no more than it would be for basketball. It's gym time and finding someone who knows anything about volleyball to coach. To create competitive volleyball players, they need to be near club programs. That's where the skills are developed and honed. College coaches don't recruit from high schools. They recruit from clubs.

For some districts, it is an issue.

Dawg61
12-01-2014, 08:59 PM

It's a ball and a net. Every school that has basketball should have volleyball. No excuses. If they can pay their water bill they can afford volleyball.

TheRef
12-01-2014, 09:07 PM
It's a ball and a net. Every school that has basketball should have volleyball. No excuses. If they can pay their water bill they can afford volleyball.

Along with up-official stands, padding for everything. But hey...what do I know, right?

MabenMaroon
12-01-2014, 09:09 PM
I hate it for Jenny, but the that move had to be made. Hope we can pull in of those West Coast asst. coaches with some strong recruiting ties. Hell Coach Vanntastic is bringing in top notch talent from Cali and all over the place, there should be no reason we can't do the same. The row to hoe in the SEC is not near as hellacious as it is in softball or women's basketball and we are now solid top 20/25 in both and heading higher, could be banner type years for both of those programs.

Dawg61
12-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Along with up-official stands, padding for everything. But hey...what do I know, right?

I was exaggerating. I would like for us to have a competitive team.

TheRef
12-01-2014, 09:22 PM
I was exaggerating. I would like for us to have a competitive team.

As would I...it's sad going to games and seeing maybe 30 people in the stands....

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Freeze has been offered the job, but OM countered.***

Harrydawg
12-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Somebody had to go...........loose to UM, sacrifice someone.

DanDority
12-01-2014, 10:35 PM
As someone who coached volleyball in TN for a high school and knew nothing about the sport other than playing it in P.E. during high school and trips to the beach. It doesn't take much as far as expenses to a school or a district. Sure, the stanchions cost a little bit but not much compared to the over all athletic budget. Plus, how many scholarships are given out to girls to every college in our state that have to come from out of state. By the way I took the first team our school to the state championship. This really is an issue that is holding us back more than any particular coach.

godlluB
12-01-2014, 10:36 PM
As would I...it's sad going to games and seeing maybe 30 people in the stands....

I'm thrilled to hear this. Supposedly she hasn't been fired, but reassigned to administrative duties within the athletic program. I used to attend MSU volleyball pretty regularly, but quit going early last season out of disgust and vowed that I wouldn't go back until we had a new coach. I'm now looking forward to next season

TheRef
12-01-2014, 10:37 PM
As someone who coached volleyball in TN for a high school and knew nothing about the sport other than playing it in P.E. during high school and trips to the beach. It doesn't take much as far as expenses to a school or a district. Sure, the stanchions cost a little bit but not much compared to the over all athletic budget. Plus, how many scholarships are given out to girls to every college in our state that have to come from out of state. By the way I took the first team our school to the state championship. This really is an issue that is holding us back more than any particular coach.

Oh wow...well that's some good insight there.

thedawg
12-02-2014, 09:15 AM
alot of schools in Mississippi there are only enough girl athletes to go around for one sport at a time... Where I am at softball is huge so all the girls play slow pitch softball in the fall... Volleyball is kind of left with the left overs

DanDority
12-02-2014, 09:54 AM
alot of schools in Mississippi there are only enough girl athletes to go around for one sport at a time... Where I am at softball is huge so all the girls play slow pitch softball in the fall... Volleyball is kind of left with the left overs

How many scholarships are given out for slow pitch softball? It is a shame that we still play that sport. In fact I think MS and NM are the only states that still offer it in high school.

DawgHouseUnited
12-02-2014, 10:04 AM

My old HS has slow and fast pitch softball, it's so popular. Next on the list is basketball or soccer, then some ordering of tennis/golf/volleyball/track. A good selection of sports, but yeah the numbers are hard to fill.

Regarding the college game, I actually watched a FL/USCe volleyball game the Wednesday before Thanksgiving- waiting for the ESPNU road trip show that had filmed at State. That FL coach is crazy successful.

spudd21
12-02-2014, 10:16 AM
I mean.....

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/114/423/kayla_upload5_crop_340x234.jpg?1292542247

Where can I apply?

DawgInMemphis
12-02-2014, 10:20 AM

This is spot on. Club level ball in a 200 mile radius from Starkville isn't that great. Memphis, Huntsville, Nashville, Little Rock, and Atlanta have decent clubs (Atlanta is by far the best). Texas and Florida are the closest states that have big time volleyball.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2014, 10:57 AM
My old HS has slow and fast pitch softball, it's so popular. Next on the list is basketball or soccer, then some ordering of tennis/golf/volleyball/track. A good selection of sports, but yeah the numbers are hard to fill.

Regarding the college game, I actually watched a FL/USCe volleyball game the Wednesday before Thanksgiving- waiting for the ESPNU road trip show that had filmed at State. That FL coach is crazy successful.

He's also got probably the most fertile VB recruiting ground in the nation. Every one of those girls are freaking Amazons that are 6'+.

DawgHouseUnited
12-02-2014, 11:04 AM
SHe's also got probably the most fertile VB recruiting ground in the nation. Every one of those girls are freaking Amazons that are 6'+.

She does, I'm sure. Plus the fan support- there was a great crowd there for that game even considering the circumstances.