PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier vs Mullen after 6 years

Statefan
12-01-2014, 05:26 PM
I thought it would interesting to compare Mullen to another coach who inherited a normally below-average program, with similar recruiting rankings, and built a program. (And to change the subject around here a bit)

Spurrier
7-5
8-5
6-6
7-6
7-6
9-5

(Here is where it gets interesting: after building the program, Spurrier's next 3 years)
11-2
11-2
11-2

Mullen
5-7
9-4
7-6
8-5
7-6
10-2

Are there any parallels between the two? Any reason to think we are near that level where we can take "the next step" and consistently win 10 games?

EAVdog
12-01-2014, 05:34 PM
I think we're actually a year ahead of South Carolina.

mjh94
12-01-2014, 05:35 PM
through the first 6 years Spurrier went 44-33, while Dan went 46-30 in an arguably more hostile western division. interesting.

Smitty
12-01-2014, 05:52 PM
SEC East vs SEC West to think about too.

msstate7
12-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Spurrier had to deal with urban at Florida. Who would've thought they would fall off so bad? Hopefully lsu continues to trend down and saban gets old soon

Churchill
12-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I`ve always thought Spurrier flat under achieved at SoCar those first six years for a coach of his ability and experience.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I`ve always thought Spurrier flat under achieved at SoCar those first six years for a coach of his ability and experience.

I don't think Holtz did him very many favors in terms of what he left there.

dawgs
12-01-2014, 08:32 PM

Up until the last 2-3 seasons, the divisions were pretty comparabl.

Harrydawg
12-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Great point and post....no question that Mullen has us right where we want to be! NEVER have we played and lost more in ONE game but we are where we've never been.....the part that hurts the worse is the thought of when we may get there again.

We will - we have to build from this....very possible we'll be right back next year. Right now, this shit hurts.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Great point and post....no question that Mullen has us right where we want to be! NEVER have we played and lost more in ONE game but we are where we've never been.....the part that hurts the worst is the thought of when we may get there again.
We will - we have to build from this....very possible we'll be right back next year. Right now, this shit hurts.

Our fans have to stop this line of thinking. That would be like us saying because we went to Omaha once in 1979 we will never get back there again.

Historically, we are not a good program. But that's simply because we didn't manage our program like we should. We're managing it better now. We have the resources, we are in the right conference, we have the money and facilities. We CAN be this good in football every year.

I know it's hard to believe, but we are a nationally relevant football program.

Harrydawg
12-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Very true Todd! Time to move forward.....

GTHOM
12-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I thought it would interesting to compare Mullen to another coach who inherited a normally below-average program, with similar recruiting rankings, and built a program. (And to change the subject around here a bit)

Spurrier
7-5
8-5
6-6
7-6
7-6
9-5

(Here is where it gets interesting: after building the program, Spurrier's next 3 years)
11-2
11-2
11-2

Mullen
5-7
9-4
7-6
8-5
7-6
10-2

Are there any parallels between the two? Any reason to think we are near that level where we can take "the next step" and consistently win 10 games?

we absolutey are in position to do that, Dak is the biggest reason why

jimbo352
12-02-2014, 09:04 AM
We can win 9+ games consistently if we keep finding great QB's... Isn't that really what we've been missing for years? It's amazing how good a team can be with a Heisman quality QB. Hopefully, QB's see Dak and believe they can accomplish the same things here. We've always had pretty stout defenses. We always have a pretty damn good RB... Now that we have a great QB, we're magically a great team!!!! We're getting better skill position guys now because of the QB play as well.

It's simple. Dan needs to keep finding great QB's...

I know Spurrier's team has a crap defense this year, but this is really the first time he's had a bad QB over the last 4 years... Connor Shaw was a beast that didn't get a lot of respect.