PDA

View Full Version : Position battles '15

msstate7
12-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Which one are you most interested in?

I know there are probably more important ones, but mine is the slot. Myles are graham are returning and both are dangerous. Gray, dear, and mixon are supposed to be early entries. In '15 I think we're gonna finally have that guy that can take a short pass to the house

GreenheadDawg
12-01-2014, 02:36 PM
If we can form a decent O-line, we will be pretty dangerous on offense. But that may be a big IF unless we can get Rankin

thf24
12-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Bryant and Peters beating Coman and Evans so badly that the coaches can't help but at least put them at 1A.

bulldawg28
12-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Safety and Rb. Josh refuses to block in these last games and Shumpert has come on. If Shump continues improving he'll take Robinson 's carries.

Bothrops
12-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I think Graham and Myles are two of the quickest and fastest receivers we've had in a long time. Fred Ross is up there as well. I think Gray coming in makes every thing very very interesting. The other guys will probably redshirt, if I had to guess.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 02:48 PM
DT will make or break us next year IMO. We've got at least 2-3, but we need 4-5.

backup QB will be interesting.

KR.

TE.

The entire OL.

I want to see how many snaps Gerri Green can earn.

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I want to see who replaces the big five in our front seven.

Preston Smith, PJ Jones, Eulls, McKinney and Wells probably had 150 starts between the 5 of them. They set the tone for us defensively. They were the heart and soul of the 1A defense. They were the reason teams couldn't score on us in the redzone.

I feel great about B. Brown and good about Richie Brown in the middle, but we have a lot of talent and experience to replace in the front seven.

Offensively, the most under-appreciated 4 year starter at LT in the history of MSU. Clausell simply didn't get enough appreciation at LT, I think people will start to appreciate him starting next year. He was great in this offense and was reliable. Sure, he didn't have a great egg bowl, but he played a solid LT for almost 50 games at MSU. That isn't easily replaced.

Leroy Jenkins
12-01-2014, 03:04 PM
DT will make or break us next year IMO. We've got at least 2-3, but we need 4-5.

KR.

TE.

The entire OL.

Dare I say it....? Quay coming back?

TrapGame
12-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Dare I say it....? Quay coming back?

It's up to him now. He can walk on next year and earn it. It won't be given to him.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 03:14 PM

I think Jones, James, Adams, Cory Thomas, Hoyett, and Harris will give us at least 4-5

Mullen loves him some upperclassmen, so I'm prepared for Williams to be #2 even if he isn't good enough.

KR.

Should be Ross, Graham, Myles, Redmond, Gray, or even Fred Brown...but it will be Holloway and Hutcherson (or some other slower guy that can block)

TE.

I am very interested in this one. Hopefully Hutch comes on strong and Walley is more of a pass catcher. Where will Hammond fit in? He seems like a guy that if used properly could cause some mismatches. Rashun Dixon could be the guy to step up...I'll be interested in seeing what he does.

The entire OL.

Every year this is our biggest question mark. Yet every year a certain Coach says "all is well". Should be interesting.

I hope Green is KJ Wright 2.0. Could he be our MLB on the 1B defense next season? If so, our 1B MLB may be better than 1A. I'm anxious to see where JT Gray fits in, and will Harris come back without losing anything? Our 1B group could potentially be Harris, Green, and Gray. Wow, that is a talented group.

I agree with your list. But most of all, I'll be interested to see if it actually matters who wins a competition, or will our coaches simply play the one with more experience. It's different with guys like Jones versus guys like Peters. You can mask poor technique with a DL, but a mistake by a Safety can cost you points immediately....so I just don't think Mullen/Collins will put a freshman back at safety, much less 2. Should be interesting.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
For the future of this program, we all need to really hope Fitzgerald or Staley beats out Williams this Spring. It would say a lot if they can't, and I'm all for the best man being the back up. It shouldn't be given to Staley or Fitz, but I hope one of them earns it.

GTHOM
12-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Safety and OL. the rest should be fine

Sacrifice
12-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Safety and OL. the rest should be fine

Same for me. I would love for a pass rushing DE to emerge also...Chris Jones needs to get down to 270 or move back inside.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I keep wondering if JT could maybe move to S. if so, it would be a huge help.

HoopsDawg
12-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Will we start and play our best players for the majority of the game or will we go with less talented players who have experience? That's the big question and unfortunately I already know the answer.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 04:11 PM
The MOST interesting to me is safety. Do we play the guys that will help us out immediately or do we play the guys that are older while being fed a line of coach speak while we watch Coman and Evans get burned over and over while being out of position and missing tackles?

How much can the former 4-5 star wild cards- Quay and Damien Robinson- contribute? If they can be even solid, that would be an upgrade.

I think you can call Rashun Dixon a wild card as well. Can he get up to football speed and become the H-back? If so, he could replace Malcolm.

The o-line is definitely something to watch. But we also have at least five guys that have started and/or played a lot in Senior, Malone, Clayborn, Desper, and Robinson.

We need our JUCO guys to come in and have an immediate impact- including Gray, Allen the TE prospect who I think we will offer and get a commitment from, Rankin who I also think we will get, Calvin, and Jung. I would not be surprised to see us go after a JUCO safety with Market out.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Will we start and play our best players for the majority of the game or will we go with less talented players who have experience? That's the big question and unfortunately I already know the answer.

It's depressing.

HoopsDawg
12-01-2014, 04:14 PM
The MOST interesting to me is safety. Do we play the guys that will help us out immediately or do we play the guys that are older while being fed a line of coach speak while we watch Coman and Evans get burned over and over while being out of position and missing tackles?

How much can the former 4-5 star wild cards- Quay and Damien Robinson- contribute? If they can be even solid, that would be an upgrade.

I think you can call Rashun Dixon a wild card as well. Can he get up to football speed and become the H-back? If so, he could replace Malcolm.

The o-line is definitely something to watch. But we also have at least five guys that have started and/or played a lot in Senior, Malone, Clayborn, Desper, and Robinson.

We need our JUCO guys to come in and have an immediate impact- including Gray, Allen the TE prospect who I think we will offer and get a commitment from, Rankin who I also think we will get, Calvin, and Jung. I would not be surprised to see us go after a JUCO safety with Market out.

There is another option and that would be to move either Calhoun, Redmond, or Cleveland to FS to get some coverage ability back there. I would actually go ahead and do it in bowl practice. I would not want to play any team in a bowl game other than GT with the guys we used against OM.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I really think we're 1 OT away from having a very solid OL. Senior, Malone, Clayborn, & Desper I'm comfortable with. If we can add Rankin or if Joq continues to build on how he's practice the past month or so we'll be fine. DL landing Swain or Carr, Swain preferably, would give us I think a solid 4 man rotation at DT. Jones, Adams, James, & Juco. Also allow Thomas & Hoyett to come along at a slower pace. We have 4 upper classmen at DE. Jefferson, Brown, Coleman, & Calvin. Harris will be the 5TH DE in the rotation. People are really sleeping on Jung in the LB rotation. If he gets here in January I could easily see Brown, Brown, & Jung starting with Jackson, Green, & Gray as 1B. Safety I'm not totally as down on Coman & Evans as others esp Coman. Saying that Bryant, Wells, Peters, & Mclaurin will have their opportunities to see the field & get as much playing time as they want if they're ready. Peters could start if he can pick up the mental aspect of the game bc the physical ability we haven't seen back there since Darren Williams.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I agree with your list. But most of all, I'll be interested to see if it actually matters who wins a competition, or will our coaches simply play the one with more experience. It's different with guys like Jones versus guys like Peters. You can mask poor technique with a DL, but a mistake by a Safety can cost you points immediately....so I just don't think Mullen/Collins will put a freshman back at safety, much less 2. Should be interesting.

If he doesn't start Peters, Bryant, and McLaurin or even Gray because they aren't as experienced as Evans and Coman, then Dan is an idiot. Peters and McLaurin are both at least as good as Coman and Evans right now without any college coaching. Bryant is better too- but we redshirted him.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 04:21 PM
There is another option and that would be to move either Calhoun, Redmond, or Cleveland to FS to get some coverage ability back there. I would actually go ahead and do it in bowl practice. I would not want to play any team in a bowl game other than GT with the guys we used against OM.

I like the Cleveland to FS idea. It sure as hell wouldn't be any worse. I think that may depend on how Cedric Giles comes back and how Irvin-Sills develops though.

Coach34
12-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Cadaver- all was well with our OL- they played very well this year as they led us to the best offense in school history and 9th in the country. When we started running N-S in the 2nd half Saturday- suddenly the holes were there. We ran for 100 yards in the 2nd half

Things like the sack by CJ- thatwas on Dakota not Beckwith. He pulling for right side to kick CJ out- and Dakota floated outside. He's got to step up inside that block and throw the ball. Beckwith cant pull from the backside and block CJ back to the inside- not gonna happen.

We did make a bunch of mistakes vs blitzes. That was confusion and not lack of talent. Terrible job getting prepared for all that. That's on Hev and Mullen

Coach34
12-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Back-up QB

Where does Chris Jones end up?

Who takes Cheetah's place? If I see Jackson there I'll be very concerned.

Center? That's big in our offense

HoopsDawg
Cadaver- all was well with our OL- they played very well this year as they led us to the best offense in school history and 9th in the country. When we started running N-S in the 2nd half Saturday- suddenly the holes were there. We ran for 100 yards in the 2nd half

Things like the sack by CJ- thatwas on Dakota not Beckwith. He pulling for right side to kick CJ out- and Dakota floated outside. He's got to step up inside that block and throw the ball. Beckwith cant pull from the backside and block CJ back to the inside- not gonna happen.

We did make a bunch of mistakes vs blitzes. That was confusion and not lack of talent. Terrible job getting prepared for all that. That's on Hev and Mullen

Might better watch the replay and take a look at RT.

Todd4State
I really think we're 1 OT away from having a very solid OL. Senior, Malone, Clayborn, & Desper I'm comfortable with. If we can add Rankin or if Joq continues to build on how he's practice the past month or so we'll be fine. DL landing Swain or Carr, Swain preferably, would give us I think a solid 4 man rotation at DT. Jones, Adams, James, & Juco. Also allow Thomas & Hoyett to come along at a slower pace. We have 4 upper classmen at DE. Jefferson, Brown, Coleman, & Calvin. Harris will be the 5TH DE in the rotation. People are really sleeping on Jung in the LB rotation. If he gets here in January I could easily see Brown, Brown, & Jung starting with Jackson, Green, & Gray as 1B. Safety I'm not totally as down on Coman & Evans as others esp Coman. Saying that Bryant, Wells, Peters, & Mclaurin will have their opportunities to see the field & get as much playing time as they want if they're ready. Peters could start if he can pick up the mental aspect of the game bc the physical ability we haven't seen back there since Darren Williams.

If Robinson is healthy he will be the other o-lineman.

Peters mental aspect of the game right now isn't any worse than Evans and Coman. And even if/when he screws up, he has the athletic ability to make it up for it a lot of the time.

HoopsDawg
12-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Back-up QB

CJ will be at DT for sure. JT Gray or Jung should take Cheetah's spot, but you know it will be Jackson. C will be Clayborn with an outside chance of Calhoun.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 04:27 PM
If Robinson is healthy I still don't think he starts. All that talk about him starting last year before he was injured was just talk for a Sr who had given a lot to the program. If Robinson is starting things have went terribly wrong.

I say mental aspect bc I'm pretty sure at Bassfield he's never ran more than 2 or 3 defenses & never had to really read offenses. Ask Justin Cox how much athletic ability makes up mental mistakes & screw ups.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
CJ will be at DT for sure. JT Gray or Jung should take Cheetah's spot, but you know it will be Jackson. C will be Clayborn with an outside chance of Calhoun.

Collins has a habit of putting our best LBs on the field even if he doesn't do it for other positions. I think we'll see our best 3, whoever that may be by then...

msstate7
12-01-2014, 04:40 PM
If Robinson is healthy I still don't think he starts. All that talk about him starting last year before he was injured was just talk for a Sr who had given a lot to the program. If Robinson is starting things have went terribly wrong.

I say mental aspect bc I'm pretty sure at Bassfield he's never ran more than 2 or 3 defenses & never had to really read offenses. Ask Justin Cox how much athletic ability makes up mental mistakes & screw ups.

If Robinson can't start, should we bring him back?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 04:41 PM
If Robinson can't start, should we bring him back?

I asked myself the same question.

Coach34
12-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Robinson will not be our stating OT- not gonna happen. Calhoun and Jenkins are going to play some next year for sure.

I'm not "worried" about the OL per say because we have some guys to plug in to do the job- especially if we get the juco OT. We'll have some depth. I just worry about them gelling and being ready for LSU by Game 2. Hev is gonna have to do some damn coaching

defiantdog
12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Back-up QB

CJ's a DT..... He just lacks the speed to be a SEC DE.

Gray and Harris will fight out for Cheetah's spot. I expect to see Green in that spot on some occasions as well. (All of those guys are 4.4 guys)

Looks like Clayborn is being groomed for the center spot

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 05:01 PM

I'll ask Cox if you ask Tony Conner the same question.

DudyDawg
12-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Safety and o line are the only glaring ? Marks to me as far as who will play.

As far as just next year in general, I'm crazy punped to see how much better bear will be. I also hope we feature ross as much as we should. He's a freak

GreenheadDawg
12-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Boom goes the dynamite

HancockCountyDog
12-01-2014, 05:42 PM
If Robinson coming off a major knee injury is in our starting rotation, we have a ****ing problem.

I agree with Coach, no way Robinson starts for us next year.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Collins has a habit of putting our best LBs on the field even if he doesn't do it for other positions. I think we'll see our best 3, whoever that may be by then...

If Collins DOES put our best linebackers on the field....I would have to lean towards JT Gray starting over ZJack, or at least getting tons of reps, because to burn that guy's redshirt showed me they think he will only be here 3 years anyway. Or maybe I'm reading too much into him.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Yea you can ask him why Tony picked up the mental aspect & he didn't. Ask OM coaches Tony is 1 of the smartest players on their defense.

Todd4State
12-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Yea you can ask him why Tony picked up the mental aspect & he didn't. Ask OM coaches Tony is 1 of the smartest players on their defense.

Peters is a LOT more comparable to Conner than he is to Cox. And he's already better than Evans and Coman- which really is what SHOULD be the point.

I've seen Peters play before, and the one thing that I noticed that stood out to me is he rarely takes bad angles and he is always in position in coverage. He may only know two or three defenses, coverages or whatever else, but what he does know, he plays very well fundamentally. I saw Conner plenty of times when he was in high school as well and to me he was more instinctive than anything- which is not a bad trait at all. But that has more to do with athleticism than football intelligence. Peters is already better in coverage than Conner was at this same point in their careers.

And if Collins keeps running the shit we saw Saturday, it won't take Peters long to pick that up. He'll know four coverages in addition to the three he already knows.

MabenMaroon
12-01-2014, 08:59 PM

You forgot Coleman on the d-line