PDA

View Full Version : Change of Subject: Let's Talk Bowl Game

BeastMan
12-01-2014, 12:43 PM
http://3rdand57.com/who-is-ready-for-bowl-selection-madness/

The bowl selection process is not the same this year. I cover everything you need to know about the process and then project what I think for MSU as well as the rest of the SEC. A confusing situation simplified.

Aces High
12-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Per my sources today, if it plays out like everyone thinks, it is Peach, Cotton or Fiesta. Orange will go to a big 10 school probably.

starkvegasdawg
12-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I was thinking the orange and fiesta were higher than the peach and cotton in the new format. Guess I was wrong.
I thought it went:
CFB
Orange / Fiesta
Cotton / Peach
The rest.

Aces High
12-01-2014, 12:59 PM
All 6 are the same this year. Same payout. 24 million I think.

BeastMan
12-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Per my sources today, if it plays out like everyone thinks, it is Peach, Cotton or Fiesta. Orange will go to a big 10 school probably.

I've been thinking Michigan State

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 01:06 PM
great break down, although I'd disagree about OM having a shot at the Peach. For one, they won't be eligible. It's "top 15" eligible, but Boise has one of those spots without being top 15... so it's really the top 14 teams. Also, they kicked off the season there. Can't see them going back.

I think the orange is out for us. I suspect it's Peach or Cotton, and that's about it. I fully expect us to be in Atlanta, possibly against a Big12 school (unless Michigan State beats Ohio State...).

To me, everything points to State vs Ohio State if the Orange takes Michigan State.

BeastMan
12-01-2014, 01:14 PM
OM was at 19 and just beat #4. Two teams directly in front of them lost. They're moving to 17 if they leapfrog no one. I think they could move as high as 13th. If they get that high, they'll be in the Cotton/CFA conversation at a minimum. If you made me put money right now on where they go, I'm saying Outback. It would be best for the SEC for MSU and OM to get in those games so USC and/or Florida getting left out.

SDDawg
12-01-2014, 01:25 PM
All 6 are the same this year. Same payout. 24 million I think.

Are you sure? That's great news if true, but I thought Orange was a substantially higher payout (like $18M vs. $4M). I'd love to be wrong, and I'll go to any of those bowls mentioned but would prefer Orange or Fiesta.

Aces High
12-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Are you sure? That's great news if true, but I thought Orange was a substantially higher payout (like $18M vs. $4M). I'd love to be wrong, and I'll go to any of those bowls mentioned but would prefer Orange or Fiesta.

Pretty sure. Peach, cotton, fiesta, rose, sugar and orange are all equal. They will rotate playoff spots each year between the 6. If I heard right....

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 01:29 PM
OM was at 19 and just beat #4. Two teams directly in front of them lost. They're moving to 17 if they leapfrog no one. I think they could move as high as 13th. If they get that high, they'll be in the Cotton/CFA conversation at a minimum. If you made me put money right now on where they go, I'm saying Outback. It would be best for the SEC for MSU and OM to get in those games so USC and/or Florida getting left out.

top 15 is just the eligible teams though... It's top 11 plus Boise that will be in the Big 6. So, only one power five conference will get a 3rd team in the big 6.

The 3rd ranked team in each conference:
SEC - Mizzu/OM
Big 12 - KState
Big Ten - Wisconsin/Mich St
ACC - Clemson
Pac12 - UCLA/Arizona State

Big Ten or Big12 is the most likely to get a 3rd team IMO, unless Mizzu beats Bama then the SEC will get 3.

1bigdawg
12-01-2014, 01:31 PM
It is the same payout for all of the "Access Bowls," and I believe $24MM is correct.

SDDawg
12-01-2014, 01:35 PM
That's great news, thanks for clarifying on the payout. If that's the case, I'd be happy with Dallas because I think more of our fans will go and it's a place we haven't been recently. I think it would be great for the program to get outside of the Southeast for our game as long as it doesn't compromise fan support.

HSVDawg
12-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I've been thinking Michigan State

Michigan State doesn't have a single Top 25 win. Zero. If the playoff committee has them ranked higher than us it would be an abomination of epic proportions.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 01:52 PM
That's great news, thanks for clarifying on the payout. If that's the case, I'd be happy with Dallas because I think more of our fans will go and it's a place we haven't been recently. I think it would be great for the program to get outside of the Southeast for our game as long as it doesn't compromise fan support.

I think more would go to the Peach, plus I think we have more GA kids than we do TX kids. Sorry Fred...

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Michigan State doesn't have a single Top 25 win. Zero. If the playoff committee has them ranked higher than us it would be an abomination of epic proportions.

they don't have to be ranked higher than us to get the Orange. the big 6 are now all equal. they're just placing teams.

1bigdawg
12-01-2014, 01:59 PM
The highest ranked of the SEC or B1G that is not in the playoff is contractually obligated to play Ga Tech in the Orange Bowl. That is the rule.

HSVDawg
12-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Thats not my understanding. The press releases that was tweeted out by Bob Carskadon stated the Orange pitted the ACC against the highest ranked non-champ of the Big 10 and SEC. That should be us if OSU beats Wisconsin, unless the playoff committee inexplicably decides that Michigan State's win over Nebraska is more impressive than our wins over Auburn and LSU and thus ranks them ahead of us.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 02:01 PM
The highest ranked of the SEC or B1G that is not in the playoff is contractually obligated to play Ga Tech in the Orange Bowl. That is the rule.

I believe it alternates depending on year, and this year the SEC is not obligated to the Orange. I think...

What I can't find out is if the orange had to take GaTech as the 1st available ACC team if they're not top 15.

Saltydog
12-01-2014, 02:04 PM
nt

HSVDawg
12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I believe it alternates depending on year, and this year the SEC is not obligated to the Orange. I think...

What I can't find out is if the orange had to take GaTech as the 1st available ACC team if they're not top 15.

You are correct about it alternating by year, but this year the Orange has priority for the SEC / Big 10. When the Sugar comes out of the playoff rotation, it gets the highest ranked non-playoff team from the SEC (similar to the ACC's current tie-in with the Orange), and the Orange Bowl tie-in with the SEC goes away.

1bigdawg
12-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Thats not my understanding. The press releases that was tweeted out by Bob Carskadon stated the Orange pitted the ACC against the highest ranked non-champ of the Big 10 and SEC. That should be us if OSU beats Wisconsin, unless the playoff committee inexplicably decides that Michigan State's win over Nebraska is more impressive than our wins over Auburn and LSU and thus ranks them ahead of us.

The "non-champ" only applies in years where the champ is obligated to another bowl. The SEC champ/highest ranked is obligated to the Sugar Bowl in year's where the playoff is not there. The same is true for the B1G and the Rose. This year, the committee is obligated by contract to place the highest ranked of the two conferences + ND in the Orange. That could be us if OSU beats Wisconsin and gets placed in the playoff and if we are still ranked higher by the committee than Michigan State who may not have great wins but has two "good losses."

Jack Lambert
12-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Until FSU beat GA tech, OSU beats Wisconsin, TCU and Baylor don't lose another game and Oregon beats Arizona than I am not convince on any bowl game. We could easily get put back even further.

About the only game I am sure of this week end is Bama over Mizzu.

1bigdawg
12-01-2014, 02:31 PM
The B1g, ACC, Big 12 and the SEC are pretty much guaranteed at least two teams in the 6 games no matter how it shakes out. If Az beats OR then they will be in as well, if not they will be battling other 3 loss teams for a spot. If KSU beats Baylor, the Big 12 likely gets 3 tams in: same with Wisconsin and OSU.

There are currently 13 power five teams with 2 or less losses. Ga Tech gets the Orange no matter what and 1 non-power five team, presumably BSU gets one of the 12 slots. That leaves 10 slots for the 12 remaining teams. Four of the non Ga Tech 2 loss teams have games this weekend, all against 1 or no loss teams. If two or more lose and three of them are heavy underdogs, then all of the 2 loss teams will get spots. If more than 2 lose then we go to three loss teams.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2014, 03:20 PM
The B1g, ACC, Big 12 and the SEC are pretty much guaranteed at least two teams in the 6 games no matter how it shakes out. If Az beats OR then they will be in as well, if not they will be battling other 3 loss teams for a spot. If KSU beats Baylor, the Big 12 likely gets 3 tams in: same with Wisconsin and OSU.

There are currently 13 power five teams with 2 or less losses. Ga Tech gets the Orange no matter what and 1 non-power five team, presumably BSU gets one of the 12 slots. That leaves 10 slots for the 12 remaining teams. Four of the non Ga Tech 2 loss teams have games this weekend, all against 1 or no loss teams. If two or more lose and three of them are heavy underdogs, then all of the 2 loss teams will get spots. If more than 2 lose then we go to three loss teams.

Man that's 117 if you add up all the numbers.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Man that's 117 if you add up all the numbers.

ole miss math?

Smitty
12-01-2014, 04:58 PM

After our performance, I disagree

Dallas_Dawg
12-01-2014, 05:02 PM
For obvious reasons, I would do just about anything if we could get the cotton. My first two years to live here, TSUN played in it and I have been dying for us to be in it ever since

BoomBoom
12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Until FSU beat GA tech, OSU beats Wisconsin, TCU and Baylor don't lose another game and Oregon beats Arizona than I am not convince on any bowl game. We could easily get put back even further.

About the only game I am sure of this week end is Bama over Mizzu.

exactly. GAT, Wisky, or MIZ would jump us with a win. OSU would fall behind us, but FSU, Bama or Oregon wouldn't. If all 3 win it would be us or OM for 13th, and OM should get it based on head to head. That would make us 14th and the 4th SEC school.

ETA: whoops, if OSU falls behind us, then us and OM would be fighting for 12th, not 13th.

I seen it dawg
12-01-2014, 06:55 PM
exactly. GAT, Wisky, or MIZ would jump us with a win. OSU would fall behind us, but FSU, Bama or Oregon wouldn't. If all 3 win it would be us or OM for 13th, and OM should get it based on head to head. That would make us 14th and the 4th SEC school.

ETA: whoops, if OSU falls behind us, then us and OM would be fighting for 12th, not 13th.

OM shouldn't get it at all. They lost 3 conference games. We lost 2 conference games. Period.