PDA

View Full Version : If I were a coach in the west not named Saban....

Thick
12-01-2014, 11:10 AM
and I was offered a HC job to the SEC east or a power 5 conference university (has good football history), I think I would take it. Number 1, to get out of the SEC west, and #2, with the playoff system the way it is now. You have to win the west period to even be in the conversation/SEC championship. It will be very difficult for every team in the west to get there with a clean record. When you have the media always barking for the Big 10 champion to be included without really taking into consideration the weakness of their conference, it's a complete uphill battle for the SEC division runner ups with 1 loss.

Jacksondevildog
12-01-2014, 11:18 AM
If you were implying that Freeze is stupid to not take the Florida job, I think you may be wrong. First of all, I don't think he was actually offered. Second, he has the network in place with boosters to keep signing a small number of highly recruited players that will keep the fan base happy, regardless if they are winning at a high level. I swear to God they have a fairly large number of fans that are equally as excited about recruiting as they are actually winning football games. He knows this. Yancy Porter knows this. Chuck Rousaville knows this. Sean Touhy knows this. Archie knew this when he hired him. That's why Cutcliffe was let go. He didn't want to play the game with boosters and they didn't like that. Freeze likes the game of recruiting and talking shit after he signs a guy or flips one. Our fans don't take enough pride in recruiting or playing the game. We still have to many fans that "want to do it the right way" and have an "awe shucks" mentality. It's gradually dying off, but it's still there. Mullen is a very good coach and he has developed talent as well as anyone in the SEC. He does need to recruit higher end talent on the offensive line. He isn't smarter than the system and any other coach in America. I don't believe that he has some formula that hasn't been cracked, except by him, in the last 120 years of college football player evaluation an development. Sometimes, I feel that he believes that he is smarter than the system and wants to show everyone that.

DudyDawg
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
and I was offered a HC job to the SEC east or a power 5 conference university (has good football history), I think I would take it. Number 1, to get out of the SEC west, and #2, with the playoff system the way it is now. You have to win the west period to even be in the conversation/SEC championship. It will be very difficult for every team in the west to get there with a clean record. When you have the media always barking for the Big 10 champion to be included without really taking into consideration the weakness of their conference, it's a complete uphill battle for the SEC division runner ups with 1 loss.

I think the committee proved we were at the very least in the conversation without winning the west.

Thick
12-01-2014, 11:24 AM
No, not implying anything regarding Freeze. I never mentioned him either. I said if "I" were offered the opportunity, I think I would take it because it could possibly be the easier route to the NC. I really never cared about Freeze potentially leaving OM. The thread was simply my opinion, that's all.

Jacksondevildog
12-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Understood. The SEC East is really wide open and any hot new coach has to be salivating with the Florida job open and possibly South Carolina job in a few years opening up.

Thick
12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Exactly, the East is primed for the taking, and a good, not great coach could win big at UF. Now, that being said, I do think Freeze would do well there.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2014, 02:18 PM
thing change too often. just a few years ago GA and Fl were powerhouse teams. Ten years ago Tenn was a powerhouse team. The power could switch.

Political Hack
12-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Freeze is stupid if he was really offered the job and said no, but I don't think he was.

Thick
12-01-2014, 02:37 PM
thing change too often. just a few years ago GA and Fl were powerhouse teams. Ten years ago Tenn was a powerhouse team. The power could switch.

What has changed in the East? Georgia would be 11-1 if Gurley would not have been suspended/hurt. USCe will soon be losing the old Ball Coach to retirement. UT has not been relevant in 10 years. Mizzou has won the East 2 straight years. They would have lost at least 3-4 if they played in the West the last 2 years. The West just gets stronger year in and year out.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2014, 03:15 PM
What has changed in the East? Georgia would be 11-1 if Gurley would not have been suspended/hurt. USCe will soon be losing the old Ball Coach to retirement. UT has not been relevant in 10 years. Mizzou has won the East 2 straight years. They would have lost at least 3-4 if they played in the West the last 2 years. The West just gets stronger year in and year out.

Things never stay the same in the SEC. In the late 90's the West was considered weak. A few years ago both sides were about equal. Now the East is considered weak. It could all changed with a blink of a eye. Tenn is going to be better. KY might be better, florida with a new coach might get better and Georigia will stay the same.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Sexton was just trolling UM for more money. Those rumors had his fingerprints all over them. It looks like it worked too.

Smitty
12-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Would you want MSU to go to the ACC, keeping the Egg Bowl game though... I'm not opposed. Easier shot at the playoffs.