PDA

View Full Version : ******* Post game comment

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for smitty to showing me this, but THIS http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mullen-makes-interesting-comments/

I cant prove that he actually said this, even if the article says its according to CBS sports. But if he did say this, it is beyond the words that i know in the english language to describe how unfathomable it is to have that train of thought. No wonder it was the worst performance i have ever seen him and his staff have since they have been here. I want to know your guys thoughts, if I am Scott Stricklin, he would have been in my office THIS morning. After the result of yesterday, you have to believe he had this attitude prior to the game. And that is exactly why the game turned out the way it did. How can anyone expect the players to play hard if the coach is not coaching hard. Wow. Beyond words. If I am overreacting tell me i wont take offense to any of it. to me it makes me as mad at this staff as i have ever been.

Lloyd Christmas
11-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks for smitty to showing me this, but THIS http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mullen-makes-interesting-comments/

I cant prove that he actually said this, even if the article says its according to CBS sports. But if he did say this, it is beyond the words that i know in the english language to describe how unfathomable it is to have that train of thought. No wonder it was the worst performance i have ever seen him and his staff have since they have been here. I want to know your guys thoughts, if I am Scott Stricklin, he would have been in my office THIS morning. After the result of yesterday, you have to believe he had this attitude prior to the game. And that is exactly why the game turned out the way it did. How can anyone expect the players to play hard if the coach is not coaching hard. Wow. Beyond words. If I am overreacting tell me i wont take offense to any of it. to me it makes me as mad at this staff as i have ever been.

Yea it kind of pisses me off...but he was also frustrated and venting. I caught myself throwing a tantrum as well. I think he just couldn't immediately admit he got out coached.

SDDawg
11-30-2014, 10:24 PM
It wasn't his attitude prior to the game, he's just pissed off and making excuses. He tried to leave during the post-game press conference and his attitude was total shit, which I can appreciate (mine was too). He should not have said it (doesn't sound like he did state it publicly) and Stricklin should probably talk to him, but I don't think he mailed it in. I think it's the opposite: he completely underestimated his opponent and then we game up 4 or 5 big plays that broke our backs. Had we executed what we do and limited those big plays to just a couple, it would have been the opposite result. We played too tight and conservative, that's totally on Dan. He thought Hugh would roll over (shit, I did too). WRONG.

SDDawg
11-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Yea it kind of pisses me off...but he was also frustrated and venting. I caught myself throwing a tantrum as well. I think he just couldn't immediately admit he got out coached.

You sir nailed it. He knows he got outcoached and he's pissed off. I would be too, because honestly I think Hugh is a pretty shitty coach. But not yesterday.

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 10:27 PM

There is no way he did not have this attitude going into the game, players and other coaches can pick up on it. Even if he didnt say that to them, you can still pick up on it by his actions. No excuse.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2014, 10:29 PM
He probably was right. One point of order though: he said that after the game, not before it. There was plenty to bitch about, but this is just nit picking.

SDDawg
11-30-2014, 10:32 PM
There is no way he did not have this attitude going into the game, players and other coaches can pick up on it. Even if he didnt say that to them, you can still pick up on it by his actions. No excuse.

You can't know what is in his mind, I just think you're way off base here. He's venting and making excuses, there is ZERO evidence that he carried a negative attitude into the game or didn't project the attitude to win. A lack of preparation, inadequate game plan and bad luck and then poor adjustments are what killed us yesterday. Not Dan's attitude.

Smitty
11-30-2014, 10:36 PM
After LSU's near comeback I thought the leaving anything for chance lesson was learned... all of these "lessons" that I keep hearing about having to be learned are starting to repeat themselves......

You don't make that statement if it's not already in your mind. It's shows a defeatest attitude which is the attitude we played with. Some of you still don't get what yesterday meant... It is 100% unacceptable. I'll straight up call for Collins head. You don't lose a shot at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP to THAT TEAM in THAT WAY!!!

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 10:36 PM
He probably was right. One point of order though: he said that after the game, not before it. There was plenty to bitch about, but this is just nit picking.

There is no way that the players and other coaches cannot pick up on this kind of attitude. You dont just start thinking that after the game because duh no shit we had no chance with 2 losses. I dont want to believe that he had that attitude going in, but if it did, it sure as hell explains a lot.

Liverpooldawg
11-30-2014, 10:37 PM

You need to give it a rest dude. I ain't happy either, see last night, but you need to can this BS. You are way out of line. If anything we were all to confident. Can it.

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 10:37 PM
You can't know what is in his mind, I just think you're way off base here. He's venting and making excuses, there is ZERO evidence that he carried a negative attitude into the game or didn't project the attitude to win. A lack of preparation, inadequate game plan and bad luck and then poor adjustments are what killed us yesterday. Not Dan's attitude.

But a shitty attitude from dan would lead to an inadequate game plan and poor adjustments?? If im wrong im wrong. But this pissed me off worse than the game did when i saw it.

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 10:38 PM
You need to give it a rest dude. I ain't happy either, see last night, but you need to can this BS. You are way out of line. If anything we were all to confident. Can it.

i appreciate your thoughts i just wanted to know what others thought of it. dont see how im out of line for questioning a statement like that from our head coach after the biggest game of the year the he and the team flopped in....but thats all. not trying to start anything.

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 10:41 PM
After LSU's near comeback I thought the leaving anything for chance lesson was learned... all of these "lessons" that I keep hearing about having to be learned are starting to repeat themselves......

You don't make that statement if it's not already in your mind. It's shows a defeatest attitude which is the attitude we played with. Some of you still don't get what yesterday meant... It is 100% unacceptable. I'll straight up call for Collins head. You don't lose a shot at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP to THAT TEAM in THAT WAY!!!

my thoughts exactly

DLGDawg
11-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Without hearing him say it, there's no way for me to to form an opinion.

What I did hear and see was the presser after the game. Mullen telling the media guys, paraphrasing here - Ive said I want to build a championship program here and win a championship here. Now I don't hear you guys laughing about that like you have been the past 2-3 years -

That was awesome to me.

drunkernhelldawg
11-30-2014, 10:51 PM
He's a good coach, but he did a horrible job on this game. The taking Thursday off with a game Saturday is dumb for the ages. Neither he nor anybody else knows whether we could have made the playoff. Never will.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-30-2014, 10:54 PM
We practiced Thursday.

drunkernhelldawg
11-30-2014, 11:02 PM
We practiced Thursday.

Okay. Must've practiced in the morning if the players were allowed to go home that day. I just read (here and elsewhere) that the players and coaches were allowed Thanksgiving at their homes. Maybe that's not the way that it sounds. Just knowing how geographically spread the players are, I didn't think it was possible to also work. Maybe the many who had far to travel were excused, or maybe it didn't even happen, for all I know.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-30-2014, 11:13 PM
We got of practice that afternoon. Very few guys actually left & went home.

LC Dawg
11-30-2014, 11:39 PM
There was only one Egg Bowl team that knew they weren't going to the playoffs going into the game. Our offensive and defensive gameplans made it unanimous.

GTHOM
11-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Maybe im reading too much into it, but he clearly said he thought the committee would find a way to put us out, i didnt see any committee member give any evidence that that would happen. I saw a bunch of asshats on tv say what they thought should or would happen. And it obviously got to Dan. That is a negative any way you spin it. I am a Mullen guy. I was a Mullen guy when we were 4-6 last year. But to see these comments after a game that we looked so unprepared and uninspired from the head coach on down, it makes you question whether or not he was fully committed to this game. Now he did say other things in his presser and showed some fire and some emotion, hopefully he just said this out of anger and realizing he and the staff screwed up. Maybe it will drive him to prepare his ass off like never before for these bowl practices and get every player on that roster better out of it and beat the hell out of whoever we play in the bowl game. I hope so.

cheewgumm
11-30-2014, 11:53 PM
I chalk it up to frustration. He's just pissed about the game. Mullen is a sore loser. Should
Make everyone happy, he hates it.

Smitty
11-30-2014, 11:58 PM
I chalk it up to frustration. He's just pissed about the game. Mullen is a sore loser. Should

If he hates it so much he should do everything to prevent it from happening.

GTHOM
12-01-2014, 12:07 AM

He did show some fire in the presser but that should have never been said....i think it affected him pre game and it affected our game plan and preparation. im not gonna say he didnt care, but it obviously bothered him. It bothered him enough to say something like that after the worst performance of his career in the biggest Egg Bowl ever. I hope it pisses him off and drives him

Dawg61
12-01-2014, 12:52 AM
It's called a coping mechanism guys. We all have them. You and I and Mullen all used them after the loss. His way of reducing the stress of the loss was to say he wouldn't of made it anyway. That's a fear of rejection. Maybe the whole team had this fear. That needs to be learned from. Everyone from player to coach was subconsciously afraid of rejection they pressed. It doesn't take much to press in the most crucial of games. We pressed.

GTHOM
12-01-2014, 12:59 AM
It's called a coping mechanism guys. We all have them. You and I and Mullen all used them after the loss. His way of reducing the stress of the loss was to say he wouldn't of made it anyway. That's a fear of rejection. Maybe the whole team had this fear. That needs to be learned from. Everyone from player to coach was subconsciously afraid of rejection they pressed. It doesn't take much to press in the most crucial of games. We pressed.

We looked far from pressing, we looked uninspired and lethargic outside of a few players. I really think Mullen realized he and the staff screwed up in preparation, gameplanning, and play calling... in epic fashion. And he let his anger get to him. I hope it drives him to be better and kick whoevers ass in the bowl game. I'd hate to think he had thrown in before the game. Im not saying that at all, but it did make me question it after seeing the result on the field. I think he got mad and realized he screwed up

drunkernhelldawg
12-01-2014, 01:05 AM
We got of practice that afternoon. Very few guys actually left & went home.

I'm glad to hear that. And certain guys, it may be better to give them the break, which apparently is how they did it.

Dawg61
12-01-2014, 01:13 AM
We looked far from pressing, we looked uninspired and lethargic outside of a few players. I really think Mullen realized he and the staff screwed up in preparation, gameplanning, and play calling... in epic fashion. And he let his anger get to him. I hope it drives him to be better and kick whoevers ass in the bowl game. I'd hate to think he had thrown in before the game. Im not saying that at all, but it did make me question it after seeing the result on the field. I think he got mad and realized he screwed up

I take Mullen's actions as he is mad at himself and he's trying to deal with that. Give him a couple days before you read anything into what he says.

GTHOM
12-01-2014, 01:20 AM
You cannot be afraid to fail or you will play it safe and conservative. Mullen did that yesterday and it bit us in the ass. Did it vs LSU up by 24 points and it almost bit us, did it vs Bama and it bit us, yesterday was the worst performance i have seen from him and our staff. Seeing this did not help anything. It infuriated me. Im a mullen guy, always have been. Hopefully him realizing he screwed up will drive him to kick whoevers ass in the bowl game. I will be behind him the whole way

Dawg61
12-01-2014, 01:27 AM
You cannot be afraid to fail or you will play it safe and conservative. Mullen did that yesterday and it bit us in the ass. Did it vs LSU up by 24 points and it almost bit us, did it vs Bama and it bit us, yesterday was the worst performance i have seen from him and our staff. Seeing this did not help anything. It infuriated me. Im a mullen guy, always have been. Hopefully him realizing he screwed up will drive him to kick whoevers ass in the bowl game. I will be behind him the whole way

There's no doubt when the heat is on Mullen folds like a cheap tent and reverts back to the old-school stupid way of winning games Croom believed in so much. Slow the game down. Run it. Win turnovers. Mullen plays not to lose in the big games. Always has. Never learns. It's something he's got to realize about himself. Guess it's year 6 and he still hasn't learned. He's been doing this shit in every big game since he got here. Remember before he had a Heisman QB he was 1-22 or something horribly awful against favored opponents. Difference this year was Dak was so damn good he was able to overcome Mullenoom games by single effort. Dak wasn't that Dak vs Bama and Ole Miss. He wasnt. He had average games for him not Heisman type games. Mullen is still horrible game managing Mullen.

Charlie_Sheen420
12-01-2014, 01:51 AM
If the comment was made, it was made after the game. You have to realize post game Dan probably already knew Ohio State had won and Florida State had won as well as TCU on Thursday night. You can believe all you want if we had won out we were in, but if you take your maroon glasses off, it's obvious TCU has a better resume due to the cannibalization of the SEC West, and when they won convincingly Thursday night it was pretty clear State was going to need some help to stay in the top 4, and there hasn't been any help the past 2-3 weeks. TCU (Maybe Baylor) was going to leap frog State had everyone won out, the only thing State could do to make a case would be to blow out Ole Miss which we all know didn't happen. Arkansas beating down Ole Miss the week before really hurt State's playoff chances, a win over a top ten Ole Miss team would have been a sexy win, and hell maybe the team would have played lights out and won against them if they were top ten instead of thinking they could just show up and win, but we will never know.... The silver lining I take from the loss is we all now know we won't be screwed out of the playoffs by the committee (which was very likely to happen) because we lost and don't deserve to be in them. I would probably go crazy had we been #5 and left out and had to wonder "what if..." for years to come....

Dawg61
12-01-2014, 02:15 AM
If the comment was made, it was made after the game. You have to realize post game Dan probably already knew Ohio State had won and Florida State had won as well as TCU on Thursday night. You can believe all you want if we had won out we were in, but if you take your maroon glasses off, it's obvious TCU has a better resume due to the cannibalization of the SEC West, and when they won convincingly Thursday night it was pretty clear State was going to need some help to stay in the top 4, and there hasn't been any help the past 2-3 weeks. TCU (Maybe Baylor) was going to leap frog State had everyone won out, the only thing State could do to make a case would be to blow out Ole Miss which we all know didn't happen. Arkansas beating down Ole Miss the week before really hurt State's playoff chances, a win over a top ten Ole Miss team would have been a sexy win, and hell maybe the team would have played lights out and won against them if they were top ten instead of thinking they could just show up and win, but we will never know.... The silver lining I take from the loss is we all now know we won't be screwed out of the playoffs by the committee (which was very likely to happen) because we lost and don't deserve to be in them. I would probably go crazy had we been #5 and left out and had to wonder "what if..." for years to come....

The East going 0-4 vs the ACC Saturday really damaged the SEC's potential for 2 teams. It would now take a GTech win or Arizona win for us to get in over TCU or Baylor had we won. Ohio State looks like they'll lose wouldn't matter. Bama losing to Mizzou wouldn't of helped us either. SEC getting only one is the realty after the SEC West ate itself up and the East didn't help.

Maroonthirteen
12-01-2014, 07:01 AM
You know it is bad enough the bitch bears over analyzing Coach Mullen every word all over social media but his own fans???? Y'all really think he didn't prepare for this game? You really think he mailed it in? He works far longer hours than any of us. He has a personal relationship with these players. I'm sure he was hurting extremely bad inside post game. Also regardless of what he said post game, He handled it much better than the fans. Maben spelled it out in the other thread what he was really saying or why..... Get a clue.

Sienfield
12-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Dan made that same statement before. I don't recall the interview but he said he didn't think we would get in the playoffs. He said the committee would put in a team from another conference before they would put in State. I was shocked to read it because that would get in the players mind.