PDA

View Full Version : Well, we had everything to win yesterday and a lot to lose. Unfortunatley, we lost.

Saltydog
11-30-2014, 10:27 AM
We had a chance to get in the first CFB playoff. Chances like that come along once in a lifetime. I won't hold my breath for it to happen again. You've got to have some things line up just right for you and we did but lost it all at the hands of our most bitter rival. They simply kicked our ass. We had Freeze on the ropes. You had to think had we won yesterday and with the Egg bowl being in Starkville next year the seat would've been warming considerably. You also have to think this gives them the momentum back in recruiting, so yeah it's a bitter pill to swallow. But so goes this series.

Jacksondevildog
11-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Recruiting or team domination in this state will never happen. We had chances to bury them when Nutt was at the end and they had a chance to bury us when Jackie was at the end, but it didn't happen. One team can be 2-10 one year and be 7-5 the next and kick the other teams ass in the Egg Bowl. Recruiting will always be basically split in Mississippi. There are too many in roads with recruits for both schools and too many people behind the scenes in these little towns. Tons of lawyers in small town Mississippi with a lot of frivolous cash to use. We will have a nice recruiting class and so will the Rebels. Neither team will ever have the momentum for more than a year or two.

Saltydog
11-30-2014, 10:36 AM
essential to our success to recruit better in State. Yeah, I know it's split but when you have these kinda years (10-2) you have to capitalize. U nfortunately for us, they go 9-3 and beat us in the process. Nonetheless a historic and good year for our program. It's just tough to finish it this way.

DownwardDawg
11-30-2014, 10:41 AM
You talking recruiting OR recruiting rankings? They will always beat us in recruiting rankings. Looks to me like we actually get the better players.

State82
11-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Recruiting or team domination in this state will never happen. We had chances to bury them when Nutt was at the end and they had a chance to bury us when Jackie was at the end, but it didn't happen. One team can be 2-10 one year and be 7-5 the next and kick the other teams ass in the Egg Bowl. Recruiting will always be basically split in Mississippi. There are too many in roads with recruits for both schools and too many people behind the scenes in these little towns. Tons of lawyers in small town Mississippi with a lot of frivolous cash to use. We will have a nice recruiting class and so will the Rebels. Neither team will ever have the momentum for more than a year or two.

This is pretty much spot on. It's been that way since Johnny Vaught finished up and will always be that way now. Even though Freeze has made Mullen look like a rank amateur twice it won't be a consistent pattern for either program. The two camps will not allow it.

Saltydog
11-30-2014, 10:48 AM
denying we must do a better job recruiting on the OL. There's a difference between depth and quality depth and we don't have the latter consistently across our OL. So, not sure if that's attributable to development or quality of the players we're signing but it needs to be addressed.

bluelightstar
11-30-2014, 10:48 AM
This is pretty much spot on. It's been that way since Johnny Vaught finished up and will always be that way now. Even though Freeze has made Mullen look like a rank amateur twice it won't be a consistent pattern for either program. The two camps will not allow it.

That's my thing. Freeze has absolutely abused Mullen twice in three years. Call it home field if you want to but since he has been there, we have been blown out in trips to Oxford. Dan's win was a squeaker.

Incredible that we get that performance yesterday with EVERYTHING to play for.

Jacksondevildog
11-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't think anyone will argue with you that we must recruit OL better. We have done a good job of finding the underdeveloped high school projects and made them better through redshirting and years of experience through our program. I would love for us to sign a couple of freshmen OT's that "could" play as freshmen because they are good enough.

hells bells
11-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Two ways to approach this. 1. Beat the hell out of TSUN, which we did not. If State had won recruitment would not have changed dramatically. One player might have flipped but I really would not want that player anyway due to one game. 2. We lose and we did. The recruits so far seem to be solid but we know flipmas is around the corner. OL is the need and I expect Mullen and staff to turn the country upside down looking for them. With all the new exposure, facilities, and Vegas Baby bring those big ham hocks in.