PDA

View Full Version : Braves fans

Dawg61
11-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Rumors swirling that A's and Braves are talking Jeff Samardijza for JUp and Gattis.

cbrunt29
11-29-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm actually OK with this

msstate7
11-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Both?

smootness
11-29-2014, 12:44 PM
If the extent of what we get with our 3 biggest trade pieces is Shelby Miller, Jeff Samardzija, and the Cards' #14 prospect, I'm done. We would have far and away the worst offense in the league with nothing in the way of offensive talent in the farm system. Hart is starting to look like a complete joke.

cbrunt29
11-29-2014, 12:45 PM
I do hope if we give up both JUp and Gattis, we get more than just Samardijza. A bench player or something

smootness
11-29-2014, 12:48 PM
I do hope if we give up both JUp and Gattis, we get more than just Samardijza. A bench player or something

If we dealt both in the same deal, we better come away with a whole lot more than even that. We have enough pitching, we need young positional talent. Those 2 should command at least 3-4 really good prospects.

Todd4State
11-29-2014, 12:48 PM
The Braves must not like their chances of getting Lester.

MetEdDawg
11-29-2014, 12:49 PM
I hope this isn't true. No J Upton or Gattis and we lose virtually all power on the roster and we would only get a starter like Jeff Samardzjia in return? Who the hell plays OF next year?

That would be an awful trade in my opinion.. We already finished I believe 2nd worst in baseball in runs scored last year. How will we replace their power and production in the line up? I don't like this at all if true unless we are going to get a couple of ready or close to ready legit prospects.

Todd4State
11-29-2014, 12:50 PM
If the extent of what we get with our 3 biggest trade pieces is Shelby Miller, Jeff Samardzija, and the Cards' #14 prospect, I'm done. We would have far and away the worst offense in the league with nothing in the way of offensive talent in the farm system. Hart is starting to look like a complete joke.

This is going to be a rebuilding year for the Braves. And it's going to take at least a couple of years to rebuild the farm system. Short term is going to suck. Long term you will be better off.

smootness
11-29-2014, 12:57 PM
This is going to be a rebuilding year for the Braves. And it's going to take at least a couple of years to rebuild the farm system. Short term is going to suck. Long term you will be better off.

How are we better off long-term without adding any talent to the farm system. I want to trade these guys, I just don't want to keep adding pitching. If we give up Heyward, Upton, and Gattis without adding any positional talent in return, our short-term and long-term chances are shot.

We had no offense last year and a dearth of offensive talent in the system, so the remedy is to trade the offense we do have for more pitching? Completely stupid. We need to use this as a chance to rebuild the system. I'd trade Kimbrel, too. Paying him what we will to close for a team that won't be competitive is absurd when you could get a good return for him, too. If you're going to rebuild, do it right. Don't get more decent MLB pitching.

Todd4State
11-29-2014, 01:07 PM
How are we better off long-term without adding any talent to the farm system. I want to trade these guys, I just don't want to keep adding pitching. If we give up Heyward, Upton, and Gattis without adding any positional talent in return, our short-term and long-term chances are shot.

We had no offense last year and a dearth of offensive talent in the system, so the remedy is to trade the offense we do have for more pitching? Completely stupid. We need to use this as a chance to rebuild the system. I'd trade Kimbrel, too. Paying him what we will to close for a team that won't be competitive is absurd when you could get a good return for him, too. If you're going to rebuild, do it right. Don't get more decent MLB pitching.

Patience. It takes a couple of years to build a farm system and it's not going to happen in one off season. We haven't even gotten to the Winter Meetings yet.

Teams don't trade their top line prospects very often either. Especially for a guy like an Evan Gattis or a Justin Upton. It's really hard to build a farm system through trading. For the Braves it's going to have to happen in the MLB draft and maybe through International signings.

We'll see what happens down the road. You might be able to flip some of these pitchers that you are getting now for hitters later.

smootness
11-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Patience. It takes a couple of years to build a farm system and it's not going to happen in one off season. We haven't even gotten to the Winter Meetings yet.

Teams don't trade their top line prospects very often either. Especially for a guy like an Evan Gattis or a Justin Upton. It's really hard to build a farm system through trading. For the Braves it's going to have to happen in the MLB draft and maybe through International signings.

We'll see what happens down the road. You might be able to flip some of these pitchers that you are getting now for hitters later.

I'm not saying I expect to fill our system in one offseason, and a I understand it isn't always easy to trade for prospects. But you definitely can do it, so why wouldn't you build it as much as possible while giving up your biggest trade pieces? Giving away our top trade pieces while not addressing the farm system at all would be completely inexcusable. I'm not sure you realize just how bad the Braves' system is right now. We have literally no one in the system we could even field an outfield with if we had to do it.

You also can't build a farm system with 2 or 3 drafts. Samardzija barely strengthens what is already a strength, while making your weakness FAR worse. I don't need 2-3 years to see if that deal would be a good idea. It would be awful. The Braves currently seem to have no plan; they're just making random moves.

msstate7
11-29-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm assuming if we trade jup, we'll use some of the money for a FA outfielder

Dawg61
11-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Deal hasn't gone through so that tells me the Braves aren't saying yes till they get more. Possibly swapping CoCo Crisp for BJ too would make sense for the Braves. That's who they need to target. Get CoCo somehow. He's a beast leadoff hitter.

msstate7
11-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Deal hasn't gone through so that tells me the Braves aren't saying yes till they get more. Possibly swapping CoCo Crisp for BJ too would make sense for the Braves. That's who they need to target. Get CoCo somehow. He's a beast leadoff hitter.

If you add those 2 into the deal, Ill take it for sure. We can use money we free up losing uptons to get some of'ers

Todd4State
11-29-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm not saying I expect to fill our system in one offseason, and a I understand it isn't always easy to trade for prospects. But you definitely can do it, so why wouldn't you build it as much as possible while giving up your biggest trade pieces? Giving away our top trade pieces while not addressing the farm system at all would be completely inexcusable. I'm not sure you realize just how bad the Braves' system is right now. We have literally no one in the system we could even field an outfield with if we had to do it.

You also can't build a farm system with 2 or 3 drafts. Samardzija barely strengthens what is already a strength, while making your weakness FAR worse. I don't need 2-3 years to see if that deal would be a good idea. It would be awful. The Braves currently seem to have no plan; they're just making random moves.

Because of the value of your trade pieces. Gattis is a DH. Upton strikes out a ton. That's why you are not getting a ton of prospects offered to your team. If you are a Cubs fan, would you give up Kris Bryant for Gattis and Upton? No.

And you absolutely can build a good farm system with two or three drafts- IF you evaluate and develop correctly. The guys that you are getting like Jenkins from the Cardinals are going to give you some depth in the middle of the farm system of your top 20 prospects. And then you get a Cuban defector or two.

What you are doing is like when a couple of our fans questioned why Cohen wasn't getting every top 100 PG player after one year on the job.

And on top of that, you don't know what moves you are going to make the rest of the off season.

Todd4State
11-29-2014, 01:56 PM

The White Sox want Szmardija too. I bet this deal falls through with the Braves.

dawgs
11-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Lol at defending this deal as a rebuilding deal. Samardzija is 30. You don't trade for a 30 year old in the post-roid era as you build for 2-3 years down the road.

Political Hack
11-29-2014, 02:19 PM
only if BUp goes too, but then it's a no brainer. may do it either way because then you can cut BJ without the weirdness.

BoomBoom
11-29-2014, 02:26 PM

uh....Smardzjia has one year left on his contract. how is trading a clean-up hitter with 4 years of control left for a pitcher with 1 year count as "rebuilding"?

BoomBoom
11-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Because of the value of your trade pieces. Gattis is a DH. Upton strikes out a ton. That's why you are not getting a ton of prospects offered to your team. If you are a Cubs fan, would you give up Kris Bryant for Gattis and Upton? No.

And you absolutely can build a good farm system with two or three drafts- IF you evaluate and develop correctly. The guys that you are getting like Jenkins from the Cardinals are going to give you some depth in the middle of the farm system of your top 20 prospects. And then you get a Cuban defector or two.

What you are doing is like when a couple of our fans questioned why Cohen wasn't getting every top 100 PG player after one year on the job.

And on top of that, you don't know what moves you are going to make the rest of the off season.

Gattis is a C. he isn't the best defensive catcher, but he's still a catcher, he's not a DH attempting to catch. like any power-bat C, he has more value in the AL where he can DH some too. Upton historically does strike out a ton, but when he's hot he doesn't, and he's at the age where those streaks may become the norm. the Braves should be getting value based on that potential, not on his averages, or else they should keep him.

1 year of Smardzjia is worth what, $10M? (15M value - 5M contract). that's more than 1 year of Upton @ $13M is probably worth, but probably less than 4 years of Gattis.

BoomBoom
11-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Gattis is a C. he isn't the best defensive catcher, but he's still a catcher, he's not a DH attempting to catch. like any power-bat C, he has more value in the AL where he can DH some too. Upton historically does strike out a ton, but when he's hot he doesn't, and he's at the age where those streaks may become the norm. the Braves should be getting value based on that potential, not on his averages, or else they should keep him.

1 year of Smardzjia is worth what, $10M? (15M value - 5M contract). that's more than 1 year of Upton @ $13M is probably worth, but probably less than 4 years of Gattis.

Todd4State
11-29-2014, 03:29 PM

If it were me, I would flip Smardzjia at the trade deadline. Pitchers have more value than C/DH and an OF that strikes out a lot- especially to a contender. That's how you get more value out of Gattis and Upton- but it's down the road.