PDA

View Full Version : politics & the selection committee

Political Hack
11-26-2014, 06:25 PM
if they were going to pick 4 of the 5 conference champions, it would absolutely kill the committee. their jobs would be reduced to selecting the 4 best conference champions each year. They're not going to commit political suicide. They become irrelevant overnight except one week per year if they choose conference champs only. They're not going to do that to themselves.

Liverpooldawg
11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
If they are going to make it a Power 5 champion's playoff they need to describe it that way.

AlmostPositive
11-26-2014, 07:07 PM
I agree... these are serious, intelligent folks, not a bunch of lightweight sports journalists and talking heads. They are unlikely to turn themselves into the Who's the Worst Power Conference This Year? Committee.

In any case there are about 6 chances for good things to happen, and we only will need a couple to turn out right to make the final four.

LC Dawg
11-26-2014, 09:10 PM
if they were going to pick 4 of the 5 conference champions, it would absolutely kill the committee. their jobs would be reduced to selecting the 4 best conference champions each year. They're not going to commit political suicide. They become irrelevant overnight except one week per year if they choose conference champs only. They're not going to do that to themselves.

I agree. That's what I've been saying. If we win tomorrow I don't think we get knocked out but if we do I don't think it will be by OSU because the only reason they could give would be that they won their conference.
I don't think the committee has been political this year. The funny thing is that the most political thing they do may be to not want only conference champions because it will weaken the committee's power.

Political Hack
11-26-2014, 11:17 PM
I agree. That's what I've been saying. If we win tomorrow I don't think we get knocked out but if we do I don't think it will be by OSU because the only reason they could give would be that they won their conference.
I don't think the committee has been political this year. The funny thing is that the most political thing they do may be to not want only conference champions because it will weaken the committee's power.

exactly. the smartest political move they have is to protect their relevance, which would entail choosing the best 4 teams... not deciding the worst power five conference. On the other hand, if they don't want to play politics they'll decide the best four teams.

either way, we win. I have yet to hear a single pundit or talking head argue that Mississippi State is not one of the best four teams in the nation.

FlabLoser
11-26-2014, 11:25 PM
IMO, an objective committee was created because of lawsuit talk from smaller conferences. The BCS was too slanted towards the Power 5 with virtually guaranteed slots for each conference. The committee is a lot more objective in filling playoff spots.

If not for legal pressure, we'd simply have the BCS choosing 4 teams.

Political Hack
11-27-2014, 10:30 AM
IMO, an objective committee was created because of lawsuit talk from smaller conferences. The BCS was too slanted towards the Power 5 with virtually guaranteed slots for each conference. The committee is a lot more objective in filling playoff spots.

If not for legal pressure, we'd simply have the BCS choosing 4 teams.

not to mention the power five themselves could've just come to an agreement to take the highest ranked power five champs and gone from there. the fact that there is discretion shows they plan to exercise it.