PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the fighting Rick Rays and what we've seen so far

Irondawg
11-26-2014, 11:48 AM
So far so good although we've only played one decent team. But we won that one and between these early games and his recent recruiting we are starting to see what Ray wants to do with his roster and style of play.

POSITIVES

We are much, much improved athletically. We look like a real basketball team and when we sub we bring in other guys that are decent players.
We are winning without arguably our best overall player in Sword
Ray wants to be an uptempo team with his 4 spot really being a more athletic type that doesn't do a lot of post up. Not a true stretch 4 that shoots 3's but a slasher/offensive rebound type
Ndoye looks much better than I anticipated. He moves well and hustles. Needs to learn how to position better to block a shot, but he's perfectly capable of being a positive on the court for 20 minutes a game.
We look better handling the ball. Thomas looks much improved there and Daniels can put it on the floor as well. Dunlap doesn't look terrible there either
I think all the freshmen will be solid contributors before their careers are over
I see a much better rebounding team and more guys blocking out and positioning better than I've seen from MSU in a long time
Ray's recruiting is really picking up and is getting more talent into the program
Very impressed with Roquez, Ware and thomas on the offensive end so far. Rocquez especially seems to be in better control early on and is really hitting the offensive glass.

NEGATIVES

We are still very slow at getting out to challenge perimiter shots and recognizing where shooters are. That needs to get fixed in a hurry before we play some better teams.
See a lot of guys still playing defense with their hands and not moving their feet well enough. We need to bring in Jarvis during the offseason to teach Ndoye how to position for block shots.
Overall we are still atrocious passing the ball. For all the improvements in ball handling we don't look any better here. Every player on the teams except the PGs have a negative assist to turnover ratio.
Personally not a fan of how we end up running our offense from the timeline. We have to ball way outside a lot and also end up driving the baseline a lot. There's not a lot of ways to attack from there and has very limted passing angles.
I'd like to see our PG's look more in control of the offense.
Daniels needs to be assertive. You can tell he has some skill, but he doesn't have the mentality to a focal point on offense
The freshman have steep learning curves. Most of these guys aren't used to having guys play serious D against them and it shows. Poor shot selection and bad passing have been evident from this group lately. Ray tried to let them finish the game last week and they couldn't get it done and struggled to even get a shot off. Dunlap has some scoring acumen, Black has nice size and athleticism and Houston is clearly uber-athletic but is really, really raw fundamentally. They are all clearly D1 players though so I'm curious to see them grow.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Really can't argue any of those points on either side. Ray has already said that when Sword comes back & Ready gets back into his normal minutes that a few guys minutes will go down. He's trying to give them the chance to earn minutes now bc they will be hard to come by when everyone is healthy.

Miss. Stake
11-26-2014, 11:58 AM
4-0 without sWord is a great start and Craig IS our best player. Looking forward to getting him back in the lineup. I've seen Rocquez has been getting a lot of points, more than I would expect. I haven't been able to watch any games (thanks DirectTV) but I'm assuming Roc is getting these points being a "garbage" man around the rim?

msstate7
11-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I'd like to see our PG's look more in control of the offense.

I think this will come as ready and sword get healthy.

Irondawg
11-26-2014, 12:01 PM
yeah, Roc has been getting a ton of points off putbacks and has been really active around the rim. Ware has looked very good thus far to me.

The PG thing is also about body language and directing traffic on the court. Would like to see that amped up a little bit - when you watch you don't really have an idea who the leader of the team is. Right now i'd guess fred.

tcdog70
11-26-2014, 02:30 PM
very positive 4 wins and 0 losses. Ware and Roq both playing well. Houston and Ndoye have looked promising. Our biggest weakness is our point guard play. Hope Daniels can play better. Don't like the no rebounders in the lane when we are shooting free throws.

trob115
11-26-2014, 02:44 PM
We lack a true guard that can knock down the consistent 3 point shot. Getting Sword back will help the dribble drive and he will create some shots. If we had a guard who could make a 3 consistently, I think we would stand a great chance of making a run at the NCAA tourney. I think we are a NIT team now though. We are much improved as a whole thus far this season.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Fred is shooting 44% from 3 this year. I think once Sword comes back & Fred doesn't have as many ball handling duties he will be our main 3 point threat. We will need Daniels, Ready, Dunlap, Houston, & even Sword occasionally to knock down a 3 here & there to keep teams honest.

Coach34
11-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Very good breakdown...we are improved. Time to stay healthy and get some W's. We finally have some positive momentum after the last 4 years

MabenMaroon
11-26-2014, 04:41 PM
4-0 without sWord is a great start and Craig IS our best player. Looking forward to getting him back in the lineup. I've seen Rocquez has been getting a lot of points, more than I would expect. I haven't been able to watch any games (thanks DirectTV) but I'm assuming Roc is getting these points being a "garbage" man around the rim?

Don't know why you would be fussing about DirecTV, SECN+, Watch ESPN, ESPN3 would all be functions of your internet provider, DirecTV does not provide internet services that I know of.

JohnnyQuid
11-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Don't know why you would be fussing about DirecTV, SECN+, Watch ESPN, ESPN3 would all be functions of your internet provider, DirecTV does not provide internet services that I know of.

Im fairly certain ESPN etc have deals with some cable/sat companies regardless of where they get their internet from. I could be wrong but I thought I saw this somewhere. I'm with cableone and dont get alot of the stuff on espn3/secn+ currently.

Dawg61
11-26-2014, 05:01 PM
4-0 without sWord is a great start and Craig IS our best player.

Ware is our best player right now. What does Sword do well besides excelling at driving to the hoop and drawing fouls? Don't get me wrong he is elite in those two areas but Ware has turned himself into a borderline future Pro.

Intramural All-American
11-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Couple things:

Gavin has really developed a 15 foot jumper that really helps his game. He has been a beast. It is huge that we now have Ndoye to help out with minutes so Gavin can actually have some rest breaks.

The only thing I haven't liked so far is that we continue to play Houston, Lou, Black, and Dunlap together, and our offense goes to crap at that point. Not only does our quality of play go down, but that is not helping them grow as players. We need to be inserting them in with the starters to help them get comfortable, but not feel like they have to be the scorers at the time. That way they can just play their game, and let the game come to them rather than forcing things. I realize Ray is trying to put them in difficult situations to see how they respond, but from what I have seen, it's not helping them. Ray and Mullen must be exchanging notes here, but our 1B football defense is much, much better than our 1B BBall team.

Dawg61
11-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Couple things:

Gavin has really developed a 15 foot jumper that really helps his game. He has been a beast. It is huge that we now have Ndoye to help out with minutes so Gavin can actually have some rest breaks.

The only thing I haven't liked so far is that we continue to play Houston, Lou, Black, and Dunlap together, and our offense goes to crap at that point. Not only does our quality of play go down, but that is not helping them grow as players. We need to be inserting them in with the starters to help them get comfortable, but not feel like they have to be the scorers at the time. That way they can just play their game, and let the game come to them rather than forcing things. I realize Ray is trying to put them in difficult situations to see how they respond, but from what I have seen, it's not helping them. Ray and Mullen must be exchanging notes here, but our 1B football defense is much, much better than our 1B BBall team.

I like that he's forcing one or two of them to step up now this way though. He is forcing the development of those two. It's smart. By SEC time he'll have a reliable 8 man deep team and a healthy backcourt too.

Intramural All-American
11-26-2014, 08:24 PM
I like that he's forcing one or two of them to step up now this way though. He is forcing the development of those two. It's smart. By SEC time he'll have a reliable 8 man deep team and a healthy backcourt too.

Like I said, I understand what he's doing, but I just wish he would do it more intermingling, than the line changes we grew to love under Stansbury. I will say, though, he did do a better job of inserting one or two at a time last game, but he did it until all 4 were playing together at once. The PG at the time was Ready, too, and that's not going to help him get back to normal either. Obviously, I don't expect that to happen when SEC play starts, but I just personally disagree with the approach.