PDA

View Full Version : New Ranking Thread

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Former Big East Commish Mike Tranghese not voting this week (sick)

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Bears 19

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Kirk downplaying us.. "best wins are Auburn/Arkansas" "not looking good for MSU"

GFY Kirk

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Minnesota and mich st move up. Ohio state has to lose

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Ohio State jumps Baylor… of course..

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Still 4th…… The bullshit is being prepared for the ******* Buckeyes

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:10 PM
SOS is complete garbage. Our schedule is much harder than fsu's

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-25-2014, 07:11 PM
We're ****ed unless someone loses....lets go Wisconsin, gators, and longhorns!

Smitty
"They need to take care of TSUN in Oxford…… and they NEED to dominate"

Goalposts moving

DownwardDawg
Still 4th…… The bullshit is being prepared for the ******* Buckeyes

Yep. We gonna get screwed unless Florida beats FSU.

WeWonItAll(Most)
How in the world is FSU's strength of schedule better than our?

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:12 PM
SOS is complete garbage. Our schedule is much harder than fsu's

Why does the ranking of the cupcakes matter.. Honestly it should be SOS of top 8 opponents. Or weighted somehow.

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:13 PM
What did OSU do to jump after struggling… Political garbage

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
How is Auburn ranked behind Wisconsin, when Auburn blew out LSU and Wisconsin lost?

The Bears at 19 isn't good for us. If we win, they'll fall out. This whole thing is a scam. Arkansas is one of the best 20 teams easily.

dawgs
11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Tosu didn't jump.

Also, we are all badgers the next 2 weeks.

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
You hear Kirk say what if you take dak away BS... Well Winston wasn't on Fsu and they beat a ranked Clemson team

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Tosu didn't jump.

Also, we are all badgers the next 2 weeks.

Yep.

DLGDawg
11-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Herby is homer for sure. I bet his pockets are getting lined from the OSU big boosters to push this hard for them. He is smarter than some of the crap he says.

MSUDawg13
11-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Kirk downplaying us.. "best wins are Auburn/Arkansas" "not looking good for MSU"

GFY Kirk

I don't understand his reasoning. Kirk claims that beating LSU in Death Valley is not a good win for us, and then turns around and says if OSU beats Wisconsin then they should be in. LSU beat Wisconsin!! What am I missing here?

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:20 PM
No matter what they will have egg on their faces

OSU loses to Mich/Wisky and it proves they are a bunch of idiots for hyping them
OSU plays Bama in the South and gets the Notre Dame treatment and proves they are a bunch of idiots for hyping them.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Way too much whining in this thread. The Committee doesn't care what Kirk Herbstreit thinks. The entire top 7 is unchanged from last week -- Ohio State didn't jump anyone.

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Jeff Long smacks down the "top 25!! TOP 25!!1!1!1!" nonsense

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Way too much whining in this thread. The Committee doesn't care what Kirk Herbstreit thinks. The entire top 7 is unchanged from last week -- Ohio State didn't jump anyone.

Long just stated conf championship will matter. We desparately need Michigan or Wisconsin to beat osu

GreenheadDawg
11-25-2014, 07:27 PM
I think Wisconsin beats OSU. TCU will not lose though

Intramural All-American
11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
I really hope they don't do this next year. As others have said, if conference championships are going to be heavily weighted, then it is completely pointless.

Statefan
11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Did he also say they use the rank of teams WHEN you played them, not current top 25? That's amazing news for our resume

Beaver
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
After hearing Jeff Long, it sounds like neither TCU or Baylor have a chance, but Ohio State has a shot to pass us. --Assuming everyone wins out

dawgs
11-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Not a coincidence that the 2nd tier big 10 teams (wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan st) all have raised their stock in conference after getting their teeth kicked in out of conference back in September, while the 2nd tier sec teams all have good out of conference Ws, but are all dropping games to finish in the 3-5 L range in conference (lsu, auburn, OM, uga).

Smitty
11-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Did he also say they use the rank of teams WHEN you played them, not current top 25? That's amazing news for our resume

Not completely that but I heard it as saying "we understand an unranked LSU/A&M/about to be TSUN is NOT the same as an unranked Indiana, Illinois, the other shitty teams that fill Big Ten and ACC schedules.

dawgs
11-25-2014, 07:31 PM
I really hope they don't do this next year. As others have said, if conference championships are going to be heavily weighted, then it is completely pointless.

Yeah seems like if conf champions are going to get heavily favored, just make it a rule that a conference champ with 0-1 L is in over any non-conf champ with 1 L.

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Long just stated conf championship will matter. We desparately need Michigan or Wisconsin to beat osu

He said Championships matter, but he said it mattered as part of an overall body of work. I'm telling you guys....that loss to VT disqualifies OSU, no matter what they do from here on out.

He also said State had a STRONG hold on the 4 seed, and he said team's rankings when games were played matters. That's very important for us because we have three consecutive wins vs. Top 8 teams.

We are in good shape. Don't believe the bullshit. We have to take care of business, though.

WinningIsRelentless
11-25-2014, 07:33 PM
If we win Saturday we are co champs of the west. That is all we need because it is the toughest division in college football.

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Biggest jumper this week... Minnesota goes from 25 to 18 for beating Nebraska. Minnesota is very overrated

Quaoarsking
11-25-2014, 07:34 PM
I'll take it, but it's pretty absurd if they give us credit for 3 straight top 10 wins and we'd rightfully be fuming if he said that about any other team.

Luckily, I think they're just doing the right thing (putting us in the top 4 because we obviously belong there) and making up a justification.

IMissJack
11-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Well, it is very clear that the new playoff methodology was needed by the Big 10/Big 12 to overcome the BCS system which the SEC was dominating, due to there being less political manipulation in the system. The SEC won what 7 BCS Champs in a row? The other conferences had to get rid of it to have any chance at all with their meaningless best of the worst conference championships. If OSU does go, I will be pulling for Bama to put a Notre Dameesque butt whipping on them.

Coach34
11-25-2014, 07:41 PM
We win and we are in- they keep us 4 for a reason- we are one of the 4 best

Statefan
11-25-2014, 07:41 PM
What happens if we beat OM and Bama has a loss to an unranked team? I bet they don't move at all. It's weird how all the negatives about our wins don't apply to them at all

Quaoarsking
11-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Everyone needs to remember that it's because of Slive and the SEC that we have a playoff. The playoff was not somehow "forced" on the SEC to prevent SEC-SEC matchups. It took decades for the Big 10 and Pac 12 to agree to it, not the other way around.

There is no playoff conspiracy. The Committee likes us and will put us in unless we lose or somehow win despite looking total shit.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2014, 07:43 PM
What happens if we beat OM and Bama has a loss to an unranked team? I bet they don't move at all. It's weird how all the negatives about our wins don't apply to them at all

If you're referring to the opinions of a few media jokers, you're right, but who cares?

The Committee values our resume highly and values Alabama's resume highly, and unless we **** it up, we're going to be the Playoff.

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2014, 07:43 PM
I'll take it, but it's pretty absurd if they give us credit for 3 straight top 10 wins and we'd rightfully be fuming if he said that about any other team.

Luckily, I think they're just doing the right thing (putting us in the top 4 because we obviously belong there) and making up a justification.

I don't think it's absurd at all. We're a reason they aren't ranked highly anymore. If Auburn beats us, they probably don't overlook A&M as a top ranked team and are still in the top 10. If LSU beats us, it changes the whole trajectory of their season. I think it's the right way to look at it - those were huge games with major implications and a lot of pressure, and we won all of them.

archdog
11-25-2014, 07:47 PM
My point to add is this. When we played ATM and others they were ranked. Yes they fell due to us beating them, but their other loses were against good teams. So why look at the rankings after we played. Did Alabama beat the No 1 team in the nation or the no 4 team in the nation? Damn right No 1 team in the nation. When Bama played LSU everyone was talking them up because they beat UM the week before. Now they are complete trash? OSU tried to schedule quality and they lost to a very bad VT team. So why should they get a boost from trying to schedule a good OOC game. They lost at home to a shity team. VT couldn't score on Wake Forest in 4 quarters. Wake would lose to Vandy.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Folks, the committee freaking loves us!

There is a reason the criteria keeps changing every week, and it's because the committee loves us and knows we belong. Then, Long just gets up there and finds a way to explain what everyone can see.

Again, the committee loves us and that's the reason Long keeps changing the criteria.

The media wants a formula that stays the same. Kinda of like the BCS but that removes the need for the committee. They can't have it both ways.

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Folks, the committee freaking loves us!

There is a reason the criteria keeps changing every week, and it's because the committee loves us and knows we belong. Then, Long just gets up there and finds a way to explain what everyone can see.

Again, the committee loves us and that's the reason Long keeps changing the criteria.

The media wants a formula that stays the same. Kinda of like the BCS but that removes the need for the committee. They can't have it both ways.

Long isn't changing criteria at all. He's been pretty consistent in what he's been saying.

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Kentucky vs Louisville
USCe vs Clemson
Georgia vs Georgia tech
Florida vs Fsu (obviously)

These are important this week. If the sec teams win 3 of 4, our 11-1 in the sec looks even better

Beaver
11-25-2014, 07:54 PM
We win and we are in- they keep us 4 for a reason- we are one of the 4 best

So basically, within the next two weeks, they'll have to see something in TCU/Baylor/Ohio St that makes them a better football team than us.. Hope you're right.

curmudgeon
11-25-2014, 07:54 PM
LSU/ATM winner should be in Top 25 next week.

DudyDawg
11-25-2014, 07:55 PM
If they can say Alabama beat Number one Mississippi State, then we can say we beat no 2 Auburn, etc. I have faith in the committee to get the best four teams in, the media is going to freak out over and over and theres nothing we can do about it.

AlmostPositive
11-25-2014, 07:56 PM
"If all keep winning I think it comes down to Mississippi State vs. Baylor."

"As for Ohio State, no team in history of college football has ever finished in top 4 with a home loss by 14 or more to 6-6 or worse team."

@claytravisBGID

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Kentucky vs Louisville
USCe vs Clemson
Georgia vs Georgia tech
Florida vs Fsu (obviously)

These are important this week. If the sec teams win 3 of 4, our 11-1 in the sec looks even better

I don't think they matter to improve the SEC because State only played one of those four teams. But they will matter as far as potentially knocking teams out of the top 25 and allowing Arkansas and LSU to sneak in there. That will really help state's "resume".

State's SOS will go up next week after playing Ole Miss, too.

Covercorner2
11-25-2014, 08:01 PM
What sucks is that most of our "good" wins are against teams that either already lost or will lose to the current #1 and #4 teams in the country. Yet, because they lost to those teams (Bama and State), they aren't top 20 teams and therefore those wins aren't "quality" wins. It's stupid, not everyone in the SEC can only have 1-2 losses when the conference is so difficult...

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Hate to say, "I told you so", but.....

Yes, we didn't get passed, but we got made more vulnerable with the decision to not move LSU & Arky in, and move Minnesota way up, from #25 to #18 for beating then #23 Nebraska after Nebraska fumbled the game-winning TD away versus then #25 Minnesota.

Naturally, Ohio State didn't play Nebraska this year, but they did play Minnesota. See how that works? Next week they can say Ohio State's win over #10 Michigan State is better than our win over #14 Auburn, and their win over #18 Minnesota is better than our win over #19 Ole Miss. And while we're beating Ole Miss, Minnesota will be playing Wisconsin, the winner getting a higher ranking than our best win, Auburn, so if Ohio State beats them, they have a reason to bump them over us.

Michigan State finishes with Penn State, a game they are not likely to lose, so don't expect them to drop any, allowing Ohio State to keep that shiny toy on their resume to go along with now #18 Minnesota, plus a potential win versus either Wisconsin or Minnesota, either of whom will be much higher than AU, if Bama beats them this weekend. AND, if Wisconsin wins, Minnesota won't drop far unless it's a blowout, giving Ohio State wins over #10 Michigan State, #14 or better Wisconsin, # 20-ish Minnesota, at least 2 of which will be higher-ranked than our best win, maybe even 3 if Bama destroys AU. Oh, and they'll be B10 Champs.

Anybody still sure we're in if we win Saturday?

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Hate to say, "I told you so", but.....

Yes, we didn't get passed, but we got made more vulnerable with the decision to not move LSU & Arky in, and move Minnesota way up, from #25 to #18 for beating then #23 Nebraska after Nebraska fumbled the game-winning TD away versus then #25 Minnesota.

Naturally, Ohio State didn't play Nebraska this year, but they did play Minnesota. See how that works? Next week they can say Ohio State's win over #10 Michigan State is better than our win over #14 Auburn, and their win over #18 Minnesota is better than our win over #19 Ole Miss. And while we're beating Ole Miss, Minnesota will be playing Wisconsin, the winner getting a higher ranking than our best win, Auburn, so if Ohio State beats them, they have a reason to bump them over us.

Michigan State finishes with Penn State, a game they are not likely to lose, so don't expect them to drop any, allowing Ohio State to keep that shiny toy on their resume to go along with now #18 Minnesota, plus a potential win versus either Wisconsin or Minnesota, either of whom will be much higher than AU, if Bama beats them this weekend. AND, if Wisconsin wins, Minnesota won't drop far unless it's a blowout, giving Ohio State wins over #10 Michigan State, #14 or better Wisconsin, # 20-ish Minnesota, at least 2 of which will be higher-ranked than our best win, maybe even 3 if Bama destroys AU. Oh, and they'll be B10 Champs.

Are you Oliver Stone?

Win and we're in. Plus, somebody's gonna lose. I just hope it ain't us.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Yes. The Committee and the playoff are creations of the SEC and everyone in the country outside of a couple of SEC boards is convinced that the Committee is rigging it FOR the SEC.
Now, I don't think they're right, but it's been very obvious that the Committee is not remotely anti-SEC so far. The Committee wouldn't play games -- if they wanted Ohio State at #4, they'd put them at #4. They haven't done this because they know we're the better team.

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 08:10 PM
If we win Saturday we are co champs of the west. That is all we need because it is the toughest division in college football.

They reward conference champs. not division champs.

Covercorner2
11-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Yep. Those teams (MSU, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) will all be top 20 without beating ANYONE. And one of them lost to LSU...

Coach34
11-25-2014, 08:16 PM

damn right- 100%

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 08:26 PM
I hope you're right, but what I see as a real possibility:

Ohio State, B10 Champs with wins over #10 Michigan State, #14 Wisconsin, #20 Minnesota minus 1 bad loss

vs

MSU, wins over 20-something AU, 20-something LSU, and maybe 1 more 20-something minus one good loss

vs

Baylor, B12 Champs, wins over #5 TCU, #12 K-State, #20 OU minus one not very good loss.

I just don't understand how some of you can look at that and assume we're a slam-dunk if we beat TSUN. Again, not saying we shouldn't be in, just that it could very easily go against us.

Coach34
11-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Minnesota still has to play Wisky- one of them is going to drop...I dont worry at all about Ohio State jumping us. Not one bit.

Coach34
11-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Either Minnesota is about to have 4 losses or Ohio State is going to play a 3 loss team for the Big Ten title

dawgs
11-25-2014, 08:34 PM

Probably didn't come out exactly as he meant it, but imo lsu/auburn/OM/uga dropping off due to in conference losses is a big difference from Minnesota/wisconsin/Michigan st rising up due to conference Ws after losing big non-conference games. Indicates that though the big 10 teams might have better records now, it's because they play a weaker conference schedule. I think the committee is full of enough smart and savvy folks to realize that.

We also need to cheer for uga and usce (along with florida obviously) to sweep the sec-ACC rivalry games.

msstate7
11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Probably didn't come out exactly as he meant it, but imo lsu/auburn/OM/uga dropping off due to in conference losses is a big difference from Minnesota/wisconsin/Michigan st rising up due to conference Ws after losing big non-conference games. Indicates that though the big 10 teams might have better records now, it's because they play a weaker conference schedule. I think the committee is full of enough smart and savvy folks to realize that.

We also need to cheer for uga and usce (along with florida obviously) to sweep the sec-ACC rivalry games.

Kentucky would have to beat Louisville

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Minnesota still has to play Wisky- one of them is going to drop...I dont worry at all about Ohio State jumping us. Not one bit.

If it's a close game, one will go up, and the other will still be ranked, and possibly higher than AU, if Bama beats the dog-shit outta them.

I am a HUGE fan this weekend of UF, AU, Arky, LSU, Michigan, SCar, UK then K-State the following week. We really might need some help. Will also pull for Texas for good measure, just in case.

dawgs
11-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Kentucky would have to beat Louisville

Yeah forgot they game got moved to the end of the season. That one is big not just to establish conference dominance in our favor but also because it'd be another bowl eligible team we'd have beaten.

Percho
11-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Who will no 1 after Bama FSU OSU lose?