PDA

View Full Version : Brad Edwards recap: Slightly more complimentary of MSU this morning

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Just listened to Bo Bounds and here were Brad Edwards' points

1. He still believes the committee will jump a conference champion over MSU at the end because Jeff Long said it was "Paper thin" between 4 & 7 last week and a conference champion could be a separator. My argument against that is: What else is Jeff Long supposed to say? The entire point of the playoff show is to create suspense, ratings, and outrage. If Long said, "No, MSU is solidified at #4 by a nice margin", then that would be counterproductive to the entire point of the playoff show. My guess is that, even if MSU did have a solid hold on #4, Long wouldn't tell us.

2. Edwards said that something very interesting to watch tonight is if Baylor jumps Ohio State. He said that he doesn't understand why the media isn't talking more about how Ohio State struggled with Indiana and that when you throw that in with Ohio State going to overtime with Penn State, it brings up major questions about how good Ohio State is; especially for a team that's only real case for the playoff is "Eye test". He said that if Baylor jumps Ohio State tonight, he's sees very little chance of Ohio State getting back into the conversation. My take is that Ohio State moving down would be good for MSU because Ohio State is the only "Big market" team left in contention for the final spot. If Ohio State is out of contention, I believe the committee will be much more likely to just take the best team because, between TCU, Baylor, and MSU, there is little difference in market size. In fact, us being with Adidas may help us here, since the other 3 teams in the playoff are all Nike affiliated.

3. He said that he does see how the committee could justify MSU jumping FSU tonight. He doesn't believe it will happen, but he could see the justification. My take is, for suspense and political purposes, I don't see the committee doing this.

4. Finally, he said that, due to how teams always lose in the last few weeks, he would be shocked if MSU wins the Egg Bowl and doesn't ultimately get into the playoff. I like that he said this because it means that people are starting to come to the realization that the SEC could/should have two teams in the playoff. That reality is starting to set in.

Overall, I thought Edwards was much less absolute about MSU not getting in if they win out, than he was last week. It was clear to me, that the idea of MSU actually being in the playoff is becoming a reality and something that he was willing to admit. That's a good trend for us. Edwards is very connected and a much better source than Kennell, Matich, or really any of the other clowns on ESPN when it comes to the playoff.

Irondawg
11-25-2014, 11:51 AM
You know - it's stupid to evern a have a show before the season is over. The basketball selection committee doesn't have to get up there and make stuff up for weeks at a time and explain their logic. They just go lock themsleves in a room for a few days and figure it out and then have to defend it for a day or two and it's over.

engie
11-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Everything Brad Edwards said this morning was spot on...

He's the best, most level-headed interview out there when it isn't involving his alma mater... Has been that way for a long time...

3 of the 7 competitors are going to lose one of their final two games... And I wouldn't be surprised to see it be more than that and us have total chaos...

msstate7
11-25-2014, 11:56 AM
You know - it's stupid to evern a have a show before the season is over. The basketball selection committee doesn't have to get up there and make stuff up for weeks at a time and explain their logic. They just go lock themsleves in a room for a few days and figure it out and then have to defend it for a day or two and it's over.
If they're gonna bump a conference champ over a team that's been in the 4 all year, there's certainly no reason to have a show before championship games. If they do jump conference champs, no reason to even watch till the end next season

CadaverDawg
11-25-2014, 01:12 PM
The Adidas/Nike thing has zero chance of being factored in. None.

Other than that, I agree with everything. I've believed for a while now that everything will become clear by next weekend. Teams will lose. And hell, we could be one of them....which is why I hate debating it until we know we are in the clubhouse at 11-1. I would not be at all surprised if Oregon, FSU, And Ohio State all lost a game in the next two weeks. And us, Bama, and TCU could all lose as well. Talk about crazy....what if all the sudden there were no 1 loss teams? There is no telling what ends up happening.

bulldogsmsu
11-25-2014, 02:49 PM
When you look at the possibilities this weekend we could end up with as many as 4 top 25 wins which would be the most in the top 7. This week looked bad with us only have 1 top 25 win, however LSU/A&M winner will be top 25, if Arkansas beats Mizzo they would be top 25, and hopefully after we beat OM they are still ranked giving us 4. Arkansas & LSU are currently at 26 & 27 in AP poll & 26 & 28 in Coaches. Then factor in Minn losing to Wisconsin that takes away a top 25 win for TCU & Ohio St. That leaves TCU with 2 top 25 wins (Oklahoma & KSU) and 1 for Ohio St (Michigan St) with a possibility of 2 by beating Wisconsin. Kansas St & Baylor still have to play which will either make the KSU win for TCU not look as impressive or give Baylor another top #25 win and put them at 3 total.

So we should be in good shape especially if Arkansas wins this week. Our resume should be tops. We really need Arkansas & LSU to win.

GTHOM
11-25-2014, 03:00 PM
the nike/addidas thing is just kinda ridiculous

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2014, 03:14 PM
the nike/addidas thing is just kinda ridiculous

Pretty sure that's why I put "May" instead of "Will". Who know what politicking is going on behind the scenes. I was just throwing it out there because I don't know and neither do you

msstate7
11-25-2014, 03:51 PM
When you look at the possibilities this weekend we could end up with as many as 4 top 25 wins which would be the most in the top 7. This week looked bad with us only have 1 top 25 win, however LSU/A&M winner will be top 25, if Arkansas beats Mizzo they would be top 25, and hopefully after we beat OM they are still ranked giving us 4. Arkansas & LSU are currently at 26 & 27 in AP poll & 26 & 28 in Coaches. Then factor in Minn losing to Wisconsin that takes away a top 25 win for TCU & Ohio St. That leaves TCU with 2 top 25 wins (Oklahoma & KSU) and 1 for Ohio St (Michigan St) with a possibility of 2 by beating Wisconsin. Kansas St & Baylor still have to play which will either make the KSU win for TCU not look as impressive or give Baylor another top #25 win and put them at 3 total.

So we should be in good shape especially if Arkansas wins this week. Our resume should be tops. We really need Arkansas & LSU to win.

Minnesota lost to Ohio state 2 weeks ago and remained 25.

I think we need to pull for Virginia this week too. Ohio states VT loss will be even worse if VT isn't a bowl team

Dawghouse
11-25-2014, 03:58 PM
can't leave off.
if USCe beats Clemson AND UK beats Louisville FSU will have 0 wins against top 25 teams.

I don't think a team should be allowed into the playoffs without at least 1 win against a top 25 team at the end of the season.

Here's your chaos scenario (and all games are within the realm of possibilities)
Texas over TCU
Kansas St over Baylor
GT over FSU (if Florida doesn't get them first)
Auburn over Bama
UCLA over Oregon

MSU returns to its place at #1 before the playoffs start

drunkernhelldawg
11-25-2014, 04:20 PM
This conference champion bullshit absolutely grates on my nerves. Hopefully, it won't be a factor because it has absolutely nothing to do with which four teams are the best.

RougeDawg
11-25-2014, 04:59 PM
This conference champion bullshit absolutely grates on my nerves. Hopefully, it won't be a factor because it has absolutely nothing to do with which four teams are the best.

This all day. Just look at the NFC south in the NFL. It's s shame any of those teams are going to take up a playoff spot, just because they "won their conference", no matter how shitty the conference may be. 4 and F*cking 7 is current 1st place.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2014, 06:17 PM

+1000

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2014, 09:40 PM

If this was basketball or baseball we would have a co SEC Championship. So does UGA or Mizzo have a better year than us because they get to play in Atlanta?