PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch ref screw-up late in Vandy game on play we hit their QB, ball OB?

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Late in the Vandy game, they had it at our 20, and their QB actually fumbled on a hit by our guys at the 27, but the refs ruled it an incomplete pass, saying his arm was going forward. Problem is, the ball went backwards to the 33. Whether fumble or pass, it should have been placed at the 33, 3rd & 18 instead of 3rd & 5 at our 20.

I wasn't on the board much, so don't know if this was caught, but I was re-watching, and remembered thinking WTF. Not sure how the refs could have missed that.

Smitty
11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Yep Mullen was pretty hot about that one too, could have cost us the shutout.

TheRef
11-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Late in the Vandy game, they had it at our 20, and their QB actually fumbled on a hit by our guys, but the refs ruled it an incomplete pass, saying his arm was going forward. Problem is, the ball went backwards From the 33. Whether fumble or pass, it should have been placed at the 33, 3rd & 18 instead of 3rd & 5 at our 20.

I wasn't on the board much, so don't know if this was caught, but I was re-watching, and remembered thinking WTF. Not sure how the refs could have missed that.

If it was ruled an incomplete pass, then the ball goes to the previous spot no matter what unless a penalty occurred.

Bubb Rubb
11-25-2014, 10:58 AM
If it was ruled an incomplete pass, then the ball goes to the previous spot no matter what unless a penalty occurred.

His point was that it was a backwards pass, so whether his arm was going forward or not, it should have been a live ball. He's absolutely right. I think that was more of a mercy ruling by the officials than anything else, but I remember it. It should've been a 13 yard loss.

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 11:00 AM

I think you're wrong. If a pass goes backwards, it's considered a lateral, and a live ball.

TheRef
11-25-2014, 11:00 AM
His point was that it was a backwards pass, so whether his arm was going forward or not, it should have been a live ball. He's absolutely right. I think that was more of a mercy ruling by the officials than anything else, but I remember it. It should've been a 13 point loss.

Ah okay...I misinterpreted what he was saying. If it were a backwards pass, then the ball should have been placed at where it went out of bounds or where the ball was called dead.

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Should've also been considered a sack, IMO. Sack & fumble.

HoopsDawg
11-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I wondered why that wasn't reviewed. Also, there were 2 very close spots that should have been measured. We stopped Vandy on 4th down one time and the ref just walked up and said 1st down. Another play, we actually got the first down according the yellow line, but the ref walked up and said 3rd down. Fortunately we converted on 3rd down anyway, but the head Ref in that game made several mistakes.

Percho
11-25-2014, 03:48 PM
The SEC needs to have a heart to heart with their ref's. There is 0 reason not to do the job correctly. The score of the game should not enter into the call on the field. Way to much involved.

The call on the fumble during the Alabama game should be addressed, because of the way it was handled. If that call is handled according to Hoyle we are 12-0. The crap that has been let go since the Day ruling is crap.

If you are going to be a judge then be a righteous judge.

MagnificentBastard
11-25-2014, 04:59 PM
I think it is an incomplete pass if the arm is hit as it is going forward no matter where the ball goes after that. I say that because I have seen the ball go backwards alot when the qb is hit and it is ruled incomplete as long as the arm is going forward when he is hit.

blacklistedbully
11-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I think it is an incomplete pass if the arm is hit as it is going forward no matter where the ball goes after that. I say that because I have seen the ball go backwards alot when the qb is hit and it is ruled incomplete as long as the arm is going forward when he is hit.

His arm wasn't going forward in relation to the field, only to his body. When his arm did go forward relative to his body, it was backward in relation to the field. Same reason why, when a pass is thrown backwards, and missed, it is always treated as a lateral, and is why players scramble to get the ball.

A backward pass is ALWAYS a live ball.

Todd4State
11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Tuck rule!

I thought it was a bad call. I thought it was a fumble all the way.

It was 43-0 or 51-0 at that point, so not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless, that crew was HORRIBLE. Definitely the worst I've seen all year.

I think that's the same crew that has royally screwed up some things in the past in other SEC games and it has gotten attention on ESPN. So, likely they just suck in general.

Todd4State
11-25-2014, 07:12 PM
His arm wasn't going forward in relation to the field, only to his body. When his arm did go forward relative to his body, it was backward in relation to the field. Same reason why, when a pass is thrown backwards, and missed, it is always treated as a lateral, and is why players scramble to get the ball.

A backward pass is ALWAYS a live ball.

I guarantee you the official told Dan that the reason it went backwards was because our guys knocked the crap out of him. And therefore, because in their pea sized brains his arm was going forward it was incomplete. I don't agree with the officials on that though. No way his arm was going forward when he lost control of the ball.

Percho
11-25-2014, 09:41 PM

His arm went the direction the ball went

smootness
11-26-2014, 12:14 AM
I guarantee you the official told Dan that the reason it went backwards was because our guys knocked the crap out of him. And therefore, because in their pea sized brains his arm was going forward it was incomplete. I don't agree with the officials on that though. No way his arm was going forward when he lost control of the ball.

Exactly. Unless the ball itself is also hit by the defender, there is no way for the ball to go backward while your arm, with the ball in it, is going forward. When that happens, and the only thing the defender hit was the QB's body, it is a fumble. Period.