PDA

View Full Version : Clayton state basketball game thread

msstate7
11-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Ij ready playing? Sword?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Sword is not warming up w/ the team according to twitter. IJ "going through drills" so I expect to see him out there.

Coach34
11-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Sword will not play. Hopeful for Saturday

msstate7
11-24-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm really getting worried about sword.

I am happy to apparently be getting ready back healthy. Please let him stay healthy this year

Dawg61
11-24-2014, 07:44 PM
When's the last time we started 4-0?

engie
11-24-2014, 07:57 PM
2010-2011...Of course, we dropped games 5 and 6 to Florida Atlantic and East Tennessee St that year...
2008-2009 we made it to 5-0 before seeing a couple decent teams
01-02 and 03-04 we rolled through most if not all of the noncon before losing...

I see some hazards in this noncon schedule -- but nothing I'm willing to concede on the front end... Think this team tonight will be better than they are getting credit for in advance though...

TheRef
11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Clayton State is starting 4 players at 6' 3" or smaller....

Dawg61
11-24-2014, 08:03 PM
This school is D2. Does a win count for our record? Honest question idk.

Dawg61
11-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Fred Thomas survives another fall to the floor. He acts hurt every time he hits the floor. Just sayin

Dawg61
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Sloppy ball. Up 11-8

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
This school is D2. Does a win count for our record? Honest question idk.

I'm wondering the same thing..I thought it was an exhibition game. was was wondering why we were having one after the season had already started.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Terrible shooting

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Getting beat off the dribble, have to figure out how to clog the lane w/ some post help

Quaoarsking
11-24-2014, 08:33 PM
It's not an exhibition because it's part of the tournament that we're playing in this weekend.

Having said that, I believe it doesn't count in the RPI. But the win does count in our official record.

Smitty
11-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Question for hoops guys.. My 14-16 ages had guys like Bowers, Frazier, Zimmerman, Power, Roberts, etc….

Is this just a totally different style of basketball… far less talent… basically is it THAT different nowadays than back then or does it seem that way due to watching through more idealistic eyes during the glory years..

Are ANY of our current players up to par with what we had back then? Any comparisons on this team to those teams? I am no hoops expert but those games were awesome back then and it's obviously not the same now. The whole sport in general.

engie
11-24-2014, 08:42 PM
It's nice to be able to feed the post with no real worry about foul trouble or fatigue when we're having shitty shooting nights... And we're having one tonight so far...

Dawg61
11-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Question for hoops guys.. My 14-16 ages had guys like Bowers, Frazier, Zimmerman, Power, Roberts, etc….

Is this just a totally different style of basketball… far less talent… basically is it THAT different nowadays than back then or does it seem that way due to watching through more idealistic eyes during the glory years..

Are ANY of our current players up to par with what we had back then? Any comparisons on this team to those teams? I am no hoops expert but those games were awesome back then and it's obviously not the same now. The whole sport in general.

My best answer is that it's because we don't recruit the Midwest, North and West very much so we are stuck in the out-athlete South. Works in football. Not so much in basketball. Although we are going to win a bunch of games this year doing exactly that. We are a tall athletic team.

Irondawg
11-24-2014, 09:00 PM
You can tell our players aren't taking this one too serious. Lots of quick shots and not working the ball inside.

Sometimes scheduling these types games this point in the season does more harm that good as players as basically trying to pad stats and get out of the flow of what you are trying to do in a team concept

thf24
11-24-2014, 09:01 PM
My best answer is that it's because we don't recruit the Midwest, North and West very much so we are stuck in the out-athlete South. Works in football. Not so much in basketball. Although we are going to win a bunch of games this year doing exactly that. We are a tall athletic team.

Yep. Incompetent and/or short-sighted high school and AAU coaches in the southeast stick their 6'4"-6'7" college-level shooting guard and wing talents at power forward and center just because they can dominate there at that level, and just let them get by on athleticism instead of working the skills they need to play their natural position in college. It's resulting in players like Bear Wilson and Devonta Pollard who are great talents but don't have the right skill set for their size.

Percho
11-24-2014, 09:34 PM
What do you all think about not putting anyone on the free throw line?

Coach34
11-24-2014, 09:35 PM
It's fine when you shoot 70+%- eliminates cheap fouls

maroonmania
11-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Boy, this is some terrible basketball.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 09:41 PM
I've felt pretty good about this team up until tonight. I'm pissed off with this performance -- garbage!

maroonmania
11-24-2014, 09:48 PM
I've felt pretty good about this team up until tonight. I'm pissed off with this performance -- garbage!

This is like the end of the MS Valley game for the ENTIRE game.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 09:50 PM
This is like the end of the MS Valley game for the ENTIRE game.

Yeah this is not what I wanted to see with St. Louis Friday

Irondawg
11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Ray tried to let the freshman finish it out and they couldn't hardly get a shot off for four minutes and played terrible defense. It's easy to underestimate for a lot of us what a big transition it is from HS to college basketball - especially in the south. Most of these guys have hardly ever faced a team actually trying on defense and it's a huge wakeup call for them on how focused they have to be and how hard they have to work on offense to produce good shots.

Dawg61
11-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Yeah this is not what I wanted to see with St. Louis Friday

I know it's only his 2nd game but we really need Glass to demand the ball and keep the damn ball till one of two things happen. He either shoots a stop and pop 12-15 footer or he passes it to Ware/Roq/Ndoye/Bkack for a layup. The other two bigs can crash the boards. That's it. Be more like Chris Paul basically. He loves to disappear after passing it on the perimeter immediately as he crosses half court. He's so timid.

tcdog70
11-24-2014, 10:05 PM
What do you all think about not putting anyone on the free throw line?

Not a fan of that strategy . Especially when the other team is very short. Please name a good team that does that.

tcdog70
11-24-2014, 10:07 PM
It's fine when you shoot 70+%- eliminates cheap fouls

It also eliminates the opportunity to score off of a missed free throw or tap it out for a reset. What are worried about Black or Endo fouling out?

Irondawg
11-24-2014, 10:28 PM
I know it's only his 2nd game but we really need Glass to demand the ball and keep the damn ball till one of two things happen. He either shoots a stop and pop 12-15 footer or he passes it to Ware/Roq/Ndoye/Bkack for a layup. The other two bigs can crash the boards. That's it. Be more like Chris Paul basically. He loves to disappear after passing it on the perimeter immediately as he crosses half court. He's so timid.

He is definately not being a floor general out there. We are very passive on the perimeter and let our offense get really extended very easily.

CadaverDawg
11-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Did we win? What was the final?

tupelopix
11-24-2014, 10:46 PM
59-46 MSU over Clayton

tcdog70
11-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Yep. Incompetent and/or short-sighted high school and AAU coaches in the southeast stick their 6'4"-6'7" college-level shooting guard and wing talents at power forward and center just because they can dominate there at that level, and just let them get by on athleticism instead of working the skills they need to play their natural position in college. It's resulting in players like Bear Wilson and Devonta Pollard who are great talents but don't have the right skill set for their size.

Pollard's skill seems to be improving. He scored 19 with 13 rebounds and was player of the week for the second time.

msstate7
11-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Pollard's skill seems to be improving. He scored 19 with 13 rebounds and was player of the week for the second time.

Getting away from this part of the country was the best thing for him

thf24
11-25-2014, 09:00 AM

No doubt. Pollard might not have been the best example as he seemed to have enough of a foundation to improve with some work in juco, but he was still far more raw that he should have been entering college, hence his early struggles.

Getting away from this part of the country was the best thing for him

+1

tcdog70
11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
No doubt. Pollard might not have been the best example as he seemed to have enough of a foundation to improve with some work in juco, but he was still far more raw that he should have been entering college, hence his early struggles.

+1

Pollard played as a Freshman at Bama--He went to Juco and was All-State-All-district and all-Region--He has been named Player of the week twice in His first 2 games at Houston--what struggles.

thf24
11-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Pollard played as a Freshman at Bama--He went to Juco and was All-State-All-district and all-Region--He has been named Player of the week twice in His first 2 games at Houston--what struggles.

5-star basketball recruits hyped as one-and-dones typically average more than 4 points and 18 minutes per game as freshmen. You cannot truthfully deny that he had a very underwhelming freshman year. He's doing great and living up to his billing now, which is why I said EARLY struggles. I don't get your hang up on Pollard. He's a great talent and anyone here being honest with themselves would have loved to have him, but that's not the issue here. I was simply using him as an example of a talented but raw player due to poor coaching and development at the lower levels. In fact, he's STILL playing out of position, he's just found a niche where he can make the skills he has work. He's got NBA talent and athleticism but he's going to have a tough time making it there as a 6'8", 215 lb power forward.

tcdog70
11-25-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't have a hang-up-. It makes me sick that He and Josh Gray could be playing at MSU. Instead we have Ready and Daniels. I thought maybe Daniels would have a break out game-as he was playing against 6'4" div 2 players. he scored 2 points and 5 boards. Still waiting to see His much hyped talent. Remember Charles Rhodes and all the problems He had early in His career--Thankfully we stuck with Him and he was a great Player for MSU.

thf24
11-25-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't have a hang-up-. It makes me sick that He and Josh Gray could be playing at MSU. Instead we have Ready and Daniels. I thought maybe Daniels would have a break out game-as he was playing against 6'4" div 2 players. he scored 2 points and 5 boards. Still waiting to see His much hyped talent. Remember Charles Rhodes and all the problems He had early in His career--Thankfully we stuck with Him and he was a great Player for MSU.

No disagreement there, although again, I was simply using Pollard as an example in a point unrelated to us or any other specific team.

Daniels just needs to get more aggressive. Hopefully that will come with more games over the non-conference portion of the schedule, because we'll need what he's been hyped up to be in SEC play. Same with Ready. Judging by the flashes, he's got the talent to more than equal what he's inevitably going to give up on defense. Maybe he needs some more games to get him more comfortable being aggressive as well, since he didn't play a ton last year when you think about it.

tcdog70
11-25-2014, 02:46 PM
No disagreement there, although again, I was simply using Pollard as an example in a point unrelated to us or any other specific team.

Daniels just needs to get more aggressive. Hopefully that will come with more games over the non-conference portion of the schedule, because we'll need what he's been hyped up to be in SEC play. Same with Ready. Judging by the flashes, he's got the talent to more than equal what he's inevitably going to give up on defense. Maybe he needs some more games to get him more comfortable being aggressive as well, since he didn't play a ton last year when you think about it.

i got you-thanks for the back and forth. I'm worried that is Daniels can't look good against this competition how is He going to look when we play SEC games.Our Point guard play isn't up to snuff. But Rog and Ware are playing well.