PDA

View Full Version : John Hayes on Finebaum just nailed the Egg Bowl

DudyDawg
11-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Talked about how when two programs struggle historically this game is always the biggest bc it's all the teams are really playing for (not playing for titles, West, any other big meaning games etc), and that causes the intensity to be that much higher. I think thats spot on. When for the past 100 years you're playing purely for the purpose of beating the rival, and not for the purpose of going anywhere after, it makes it that much more personal and this should be just as exciting as ever. He talked about not knowing much about it until he got to SECNetwork and now thinks its one of the most intense he's heard of. Thoughts?

ScoobaDawg
11-24-2014, 05:27 PM
We are playing for a national championship essentially. How is that not playing for anything?

DudyDawg
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
We are playing for a national championship essentially. How is that not playing for anything?

No, he meant when over the years you aren't playing for that (Bama and Auburn usually are, i.e. they are usually playing in a bigger game every year than the Iron Bowl) then it is more intense and personal because you spend all year looking forward to beating your rival, not trying to win a natty.

Political Hack
11-24-2014, 05:35 PM
having lived in multiple regions of the country, I can tell you this is one of the most intense rivalries and games in the country. Nothing in the NFL is close IMO. Nothing in MLB besides maybe the Yankees and Sox. Nothing in the NBA. Nothing in college basketball or baseball. The Iron Bowl, Army/Navy, OSU/Mich, and maybe a few more are all that compare. All if these games are in a class of their own.

archdog
11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
So since Ole Miss is delusional and always thinks they are playing for a national championship, thats the reason they don't seem to put much weight into the game? I mean they have not played for anything serious in a long time, but they think they will every year. It is all becoming clear.

DudyDawg
11-24-2014, 05:40 PM
having lived in multiple regions of the country, I can tell you this is one of the most intense rivalries and games in the country. Nothing in the NFL is close IMO. Nothing in MLB besides maybe the Yankees and Sox. Nothing in the NBA. Nothing in college basketball or baseball. The Iron Bowl, Army/Navy, OSU/Mich, and maybe a few more are all that compare. All if these games are in a class of their own.

I would throw OU/Texas in there as well, with it being in Dallas with the state fair and all the history there. I also would put Duke/Unc basketball in, but I think you just about got it. Not much can measure up to College football in the south.

Offshore Dawg
11-24-2014, 05:42 PM

They were using past years as a reference when nothing else was at stake, maybe not even a bowl game .

FlabLoser
11-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Hayes' explanation is off the mark. It has more to do with being in close proximity within a small state. Kids grow up taunting each other. It continues into adulthood. Its neighbors against neighbors.

How often to Ohio State & Michigan fans live next door to each other? Barely. But State & Ole Miss people, at least the in-state ones, are entrenched literally next door to each other.

Add to that the socioeconomic differences between the types of students each school gets. Medical & legal people at Ole Miss vs engineering, agriculture people at MSU. Elitism vs the people's university.

Its social. Its economic. Its cultural. And it goes from childhood to the grave.

There is little else like this. Auburn/Alabama, Florida/FSU. Maybe a few others.

There are rivalries and then there is the Egg Bowl.

Smitty
11-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Hayes' explanation is off the mark. It has more to do with being in close proximity within a small state. Kids grow up taunting each other. It continues into adulthood. Its neighbors against neighbors.

How often to Ohio State & Michigan fans live next door to each other? Barely. But State & Ole Miss people, at least the in-state ones, are entrenched literally next door to each other.

Add to that the socioeconomic differences between the types of students each school gets. Medical & legal people at Ole Miss vs engineering, agriculture people at MSU. Elitism vs the people's university.

Its social. Its economic. Its cultural. And it goes from childhood to the grave.

There is little else like this. Auburn/Alabama, Florida/FSU. Maybe a few others.

Florida FSU is diminished with Miami-FSU probably being a bigger rivalry. Split rivalry splits the hate.

It is like Hayes says people that don't understand simply don't understand…. and there are a lot of ignorant people out there. It's not a media hype rivalry, it's real life and it's every day of the year.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Point of order: Historically your stereotypes of types of people at each place may have been accurate, but we put as many people into "their" UMC as they do and have for at least 25-30 years. We produce as many eventual lawyers too. We still produce way more and better engineers too.

Political Hack
11-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Point of order: Historically your stereotypes of types of people at each place may have been accurate, but we put as many people into "their" UMC as they do and have for at least 25-30 years. We produce as many eventual lawyers too. We still produce way more and better engineers too.

true. we've got a lot of Dr's and lawyers as of late.

IMissJack
11-24-2014, 06:17 PM
My wife grew up in Michigan, and we live in Texas. I just don't see the pure hate in those rivalries (OSU/MI, TX/OU) that I do with State and OM.

BrunswickDawg
11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
UGA/GT used to be intense, hence the nickname for the game: "Clean, Old Fashioned Hate". It started downhill when Tech left the SEC. UGA has dominated the series over the last 40 years (30-10) and has made it kind of pointless. But man, Tech fans HATE UGA.

FlabLoser
11-24-2014, 10:00 PM

Good point.