PDA

View Full Version : This shit isn't really that complicated.

AlmostPositive
11-24-2014, 01:33 PM
You evaluate teams by who they play, how well they play, and where they play.

Geographical diversity and how "deserving" a team is, are concoctions that have nothing to do with determining merit.

"Conference Champion" is another abstraction that says almost nothing about a team compared to other teams not in that conference.

I've heard so many talking heads blathering about "eye tests" and "deserving" teams. Screw them. If the Committee leaves us out on objective grounds, I'll be fine with it. But if they cave to obfuscating homers like Herbstreit and Kannell, they should be hounded out of polite society.

Jack Lambert
11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
The talking head all have their teams they want and they will change the narrative at will every week to push their team.

Political Hack
11-24-2014, 01:39 PM
"conference championship" is the dumbest argument out there. it's like saying Marshall should be in because they win their crappy conference. Makes no sense. Year to year there will be major discrepancies in strength of conferences. The "power five" is a made up line in the sand.... to assume the winner of those five have a right to one of four spots is BS.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2014, 02:04 PM
"conference championship" is the dumbest argument out there. it's like saying Marshall should be in because they win their crappy conference. Makes no sense. Year to year there will be major discrepancies in strength of conferences. The "power five" is a made up line in the sand.... to assume the winner of those five have a right to one of four spots is BS.

Even within the conferences, the "Champion" is decided in an unfair manner. What if MSU played Bama at home last week? Bama was offered an unfair advantage in that game because they played at home. I'm not arguing the SEC's way of scheduling the season, but Conference Championships are dumb way to decide who gets in the playoffs.