PDA

View Full Version : Joe Morrow needs more chances.....

cheewgumm
11-24-2014, 12:27 AM
Agree?

I'm impressed.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Uh..... I'm not sure I trust him yet, and we have ton of quality receivers. Other than Gabe Myles, clearly needing to be our kick returner and possible punt returner, I don't think any of the receivers need more touches. I like us spreading it around.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 12:37 AM
At the expense of who? RoJo's blocking is vital. Bear shouldn't come out. Then you have the freds.

cheewgumm
11-24-2014, 12:44 AM
He's catchingge ball. Made some great catches. He looked pretty physical on that play... Idk , he's 6'4 seems to be getting better.

Maybe it's just one game, I'll reserve judgement. I was happy to see him do well though.

Todd4State
11-24-2014, 01:07 AM
I like Morrow, Robert Johnson, and the Fred's. It's a very good problem to have.

We actually need more slot guys- but we're addressing that in recruiting.

EdDawg
11-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Morrow is similar to Sobiesk to our fans. Has done everything to be trusted this year, but our fans can't seem to overcome their previous year(s).

Morrow has been great when we have targeted him this year. I honestly cannot remember a single drop, but I do remember some big catches. He is beginning to use his hands to catch and squeeze the ball more. It's kind of sad that I'm impressed by something a receiver should be taught to do in JV, but during the Croom years and the first couple years Mullen was here we had so many receivers that still tried to catch the ball using their chest.

EnterpriseDawg
11-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Morrow is similar to Sobiesk to our fans. Has done everything to be trusted this year, but our fans can't seem to overcome their previous year(s).

Morrow has been great when we have targeted him this year. I honestly cannot remember a single drop, but I do remember some big catches. He is beginning to use his hands to catch and squeeze the ball more. It's kind of sad that I'm impressed by something a receiver should be taught to do in JV, but during the Croom years and the first couple years Mullen was here we had so many receivers that still tried to catch the ball using their chest.

Yeah, it's sad for sure. It was said that he came from a school where passing was overshadowed by the run. It was going to take a few years of growth and development for him to find his groove. I'd like to see him and bear stretch the field, especially on goal line offense.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 08:16 AM

I love morrow. I'm just not sure he's better than freds, rojo, or bear.

EnterpriseDawg
11-24-2014, 08:27 AM
I love morrow. I'm just not sure he's better than freds, rojo, or bear.

What else does he have to do to prove otherwise? I could be way off base, but I don't remember Morrow dropping many passes. I do remember drops by the wrs you mentioned.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 08:30 AM
What else does he have to do to prove otherwise? I could be way off base, but I don't remember Morrow dropping many passes. I do remember drops by the wrs you mentioned.

I don't know. I'd like to think our coaches aren't playing favorites though so I'll trust their judgement. I think morrow could definitely step into rojo's blocking role with occasional catches next year

EnterpriseDawg
11-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Maybe that's his issue is blocking. I haven't notice how he does in that area. I have wondered why Rojo hasn't been targeted as much.

msstate7
11-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Maybe that's his issue is blocking. I haven't notice how he does in that area. I have wondered why Rojo hasn't been targeted as much.

Matt Wyatt says morrow is great blocker fwiw

CadaverDawg
11-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Sobes missed an Extra point Saturday, so you basically proved everyone's point. I love that morrow has turned it up, and I think he will continue to get more and more chances because of the way he has stepped up. BUT, remembering his past drops, and his lack of aggressiveness in going up for a jump ball in the past, would you truly like to see a potential game winning pass thrown to Joe over DeRunnya or Jameon or Fred Ross? I'm much closer than I was last year to seeing that, but the obvious answer is "No", or "Not yet".

But he is definitely close, and next year could be a big year for him. Putting 4 wide with he and DeRunnya out there, will cause some major matchup problems...especially with Fred Ross and Fred Brown out there. Pick your poison. We have a good problem at WR for the first time in my existence, and Joe Morrow's work ethic and improvement is the reason why....I applaud Joe for his improvement. Proud of the guy.

Johnson85
11-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Agree?

I'm impressed.

He seems to be turning into a weapon. He's not better than Wilson and that would be his natural role with his frame. I don't think he's better than Ross but I do think he is better target than RoJo ignoring that RoJo is a senior, has done everything asked of him, is probably still a little more reliable overall.

I hope he gets lots of chances next year just because he's a guy that has put in his time and gotten better every year while taking a lot of criticism. I think Ross is quick enough to play slot so I'd kind of like to see Wilson, Morrow, and Ross out at the same time. Probably not our best group because somebody would be out of position at the slot, but it seems like for a few well designed plays, that would put a hell of a lot of pressure on an opposing team's secondary.

HSVDawg
11-24-2014, 10:14 AM
I think Morrow has a chance slide into RoJo's current role next year (blocker / possession receiver on the outside). May be in line to start along side Bear, and we'll also have Gabe in the slot. Bear and Gabe are locked in as the starters I think, but the 3rd WR spot will be up for grabs between Morrow and the Freds. Either way, I'd expect all three to get significant reps.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Morrow is an excellent #5 outside WR.

My order: Bear, Ross, Brown, Rojo, Morrow. Morrow can step into that number 4 spot next year.

War Machine Dawg
11-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Sobes missed an Extra point Saturday, so you basically proved everyone's point. I love that morrow has turned it up, and I think he will continue to get more and more chances because of the way he has stepped up. BUT, remembering his past drops, and his lack of aggressiveness in going up for a jump ball in the past, would you truly like to see a potential game winning pass thrown to Joe over DeRunnya or Jameon or Fred Ross? I'm much closer than I was last year to seeing that, but the obvious answer is "No", or "Not yet".

But he is definitely close, and next year could be a big year for him. Putting 4 wide with he and DeRunnya out there, will cause some major matchup problems...especially with Fred Ross and Fred Brown out there. Pick your poison. We have a good problem at WR for the first time in my existence, and Joe Morrow's work ethic and improvement is the reason why....I applaud Joe for his improvement. Proud of the guy.

This. Spot on, CD.

mic
11-24-2014, 10:24 AM
2 words for ya...
Billy Gonzales...
Pretty evident what can be done when you have a true WR to coach them up.. Strongest WR group we have ever had..
Pay the man ... Keep him here as long as possible...

msstate7
11-24-2014, 10:24 AM
I think Morrow has a chance slide into RoJo's current role next year (blocker / possession receiver on the outside). May be in line to start along side Bear, and we'll also have Gabe in the slot. Bear and Gabe are locked in as the starters I think, but the 3rd WR spot will be up for grabs between Morrow and the Freds. Either way, I'd expect all three to get significant reps.

I think gray will have a lot to say about who gets the slot