PDA

View Full Version : If Shotgun were on the playoff committee

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2014, 03:36 PM
If Shotgun were on the playoff committee, he would just pick the consensus best 4 teams.

This entire situation has become an unbearable quagmire of politics, irrelevant stats, regional biases, and conference biases.

The truth however, is that there will be 5 conference champions and only 4 spots. Therefore, as a committee member, I am screwed no matter what I do. Under these circumstances, my goal is to sleep at night, knowing that, at the end of the day, I did the best I could and will be able to live with my decision knowing I did what I thought was right and just.

Ultimately, I know that this should be an 8 team playoff, but that isn't the reality, therefore, I must make a decision and choose 4 out of 7 teams, all of which have warts and flaws. I'm am going to be criticized no matter my decision.

I can live with choosing the 4 teams that I believe in my heart to be the best 4, regardless of resume, and regardless of conference affiliation, I trust my eyes and I trust my judgement to know which 4 teams are the best.

With this being said, there have been 4 teams that have populated the AP and Coaches top 4, in different orders, for most of the year, and, while we can talk about resume, stats, conference records, SOS, etc.... It all cancels itself out.

I can personally live and sleep at night by choosing the consensus best 4 teams, that have populated the top 4 in both polls throughout most of the season and have shown to be playoff worthy.

I would make this decision and then run out of the room like referees leave the field.

I could sleep at night, knowing that I did my best to pick the best 4 teams.