PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the playoffs (again)

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 02:42 PM
I feel like we are looking a lot at how things would go if all 7 of the top 7 won their remaining games. But history tells us a few of these top 7 will lose at the end of the year or in the conference championship games. So who is the most likely to lose another game?....

Alabama - Has Auburn, and either Mizzou or Georgia.
* Let's not forget how terrible Bama has looked on the road vs at home this season. SECC game could be interesting away from Tuscaloosa...assuming they beat Auburn.

Oregon - @Oregon State (which beat ASU), and then likely UCLA if I'm reading those PAC standings correctly.
* Oregon state sucks, but that game will not be easy at OSU, with their team wanting to ruin Oregon's season. And UCLA is playing pretty good lately, and they only lost by 12 to Oregon earlier in the year.

Florida State - Florida, and Georgia Tech
* Based on what I've seen, both of these teams could beat FSU.

Mississippi State - @OM, and possibly Mizzou/Georgia
* We all know what we have

TCU - @Texas, Iowa State
* This should be considered the easiest remaining schedule, but Texas could potentially cause some problems with their defense.

Baylor - Texas tech, Kansas state
* Baylor gets KSU at home, so It appears they will win out and overtake TCU due to head to head. But KSU has a good D that could potentially cause Baylor some problems.

Ohio State - Michigan, and probably Wisconsin
* Michigan is a joke and the game is at OSU. Wisconsin could cause them some problems. If OSU had trouble with one dimensional Indiana at home...they may have their hands full with Wisconsin away from home. One can only hope so, Jack.*

So....Who is the most likely to lose a game? I would have to lean towards FSU as the most likely. But I could easily see Oregon and Ohio State losing one. It is interesting to see that every team has at least one game left on the schedule that could cause them problems.

SDDawg
11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
I like how this sets up because only OSU can use the "conference champs" argument after winning the B1G game, except they're going to lose that game to Wisconsin. If OSU and FSU both lose we're a lead pipe lock, and if one of them lose we should still be good. Those are the teams that have the best chance to lose and also the ones that help us the most in my opinion.

cheewgumm
11-23-2014, 02:55 PM
I think texas beats TCU

AlmostPositive
11-23-2014, 03:06 PM
If any of the following happen, we're locked in:

AL loss
ORE loss
FSU loss
Oregon loss
Egg Bowl rout

WITHOUT any of those, Id guess we're about a 50-50 proposition. All in all, it's at least 75% likely that we're in with a double digit Egg Bowl win and whatever happens elsewhere. And it WILL be double digits.

justwin
11-23-2014, 03:10 PM
good stuff. my take:

Gus is 3-0 vs Saban if that means anything. Remember, he beat Saban as an OC @ Ark too & the other 2 at Aub. The key is if Duke Williams comes back in the Iron Bowl. There's a reason Aub lost the TXAM & Georgia and he's it. He sprained the MCL and bruised his knee vs TXAM. Reports this morning from Marshmallow are saying he'll be back. MSU needs Duke to play out this year and go pro. I don't think UGA's Mason is good enough to beat Bama in the SECCG so I only see the Aub game as their only potential loss.

If Oregon loses to OSU, then they should be outside the top 10. It's a travesty that they are ranked ahead of MSU and probably TCU.

Florida is going to defend FSU well. Can Treon Harris, a coaches son from a Miami HS powerhouse, be enough to score 28 on FSU? Muschamp needs to feed those two RBs again.

Texas has won their last 3 (WVU, Texas Tech, Okie State) since they've gone to the Sophomore dual threat phenom who is 6'4" 240. TCU is coming to Austin on Thanksgiving night after Texas has 2 weeks to prepare. Why is Charlie Strong not being mentioned for the UF job?

OSU almost got beat by a 3 win Indiana team @ home yesterday in November whereas MSU completely throttled a 3 win team yesterday at home. OSU doesn't deserve to be in the conversation anymore.

I would say most likely to lose are OSU, TCU, Bama, FSU, Oregon, MSU in that order.

I feel like we are looking a lot at how things would go if all 7 of the top 7 won their remaining games. But history tells us a few of these top 7 will lose at the end of the year or in the conference championship games. So who is the most likely to lose another game?....

* Let's not forget how terrible Bama has looked on the road vs at home this season. SECC game could be interesting away from Tuscaloosa...assuming they beat Auburn.

Oregon - @Oregon State (which beat ASU), and then likely UCLA if I'm reading those PAC standings correctly.
* Oregon state sucks, but that game will not be easy at OSU, with their team wanting to ruin Oregon's season. And UCLA is playing pretty good lately, and they only lost by 12 to Oregon earlier in the year.

TCU - @Texas, Iowa State
* This should be considered the easiest remaining schedule, but Texas could potentially cause some problems with their defense.

* Baylor gets KSU at home, so It appears they will win out and overtake TCU due to head to head. But KSU has a good D that could potentially cause Baylor some problems.

* Michigan is a joke and the game is at OSU. Wisconsin could cause them some problems. If OSU had trouble with one dimensional Indiana at home...they may have their hands full with Wisconsin away from home. One can only hope so, Jack.*

So....Who is the most likely to lose a game? I would have to lean towards FSU as the most likely. But I could easily see Oregon and Ohio State losing one. It is interesting to see that every team has at least one game left on the schedule that could cause them problems.

dawgs
11-23-2014, 03:15 PM
That Oregon-ucla being "only" a 12 point game is like saying we "only" beat lsu by 5 or a&m by 17. Oregon absolutely demolished ucla (think is was 42-10 heading into the 4th) and gave up some garbage scores with the scrubs in. If we are going to get angry with other fans and the media for not recognizing that many of our passing numbers look ugly because of scrubs and blowouts, let's be savvy enough to look beyond a final score too.

Political Hack
11-23-2014, 03:17 PM
if we blow OM out it's going to be damn hard to justify putting Baylor/TCU or Ohio State ahead of us.

An Auburn win would make this a really sweet season though...

KState and Wisconsin, both of which have losses to SECW teams, are vying for their conference championships. That's enough to me to put a 2nd SECW team ahead of both of those conferences. I have a feeling our path will be clear by next weekend though.

WinningIsRelentless
11-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Better question is who would win between vandy and Indiana?

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 03:22 PM
That Oregon-ucla being "only" a 12 point game is like saying we "only" beat lsu by 5 or a&m by 17. Oregon absolutely demolished ucla (think is was 42-10 heading into the 4th) and gave up some garbage scores with the scrubs in. If we are going to get angry with other fans and the media for not recognizing that many of our passing numbers look ugly because of scrubs and blowouts, let's be savvy enough to look beyond a final score too.

In my defense, I wasn't going back and looking at the box scores of every game of every team I just mentioned. I couldn't remember what the score of that game was at halftime (much like the committee won't), so I am sorry I misrepresented that game. However, if you read what I was saying, my point was that UCLA lost to Oregon, but UCLA has really started playing better late in the season. I keep hearing, "UCLA is finally playing the way everyone thought they would play this season"...which can hopefully lead to a chance at beating Oregon.

dawgs
11-23-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree ucla has started playing like a preseason top 10 team after an inconsistent start. And probably the most likely team to knock off oregon.

TUSK
11-23-2014, 04:35 PM

TCU - @Texas, Iowa State

Bammer: AU & Uga both have to run to win; save garbage time, no one has run on bama... Missouri is not a threat.
MSU: beats OM by 2 scores.
Oregon: either slips by asu (again) or ssssmokes ucla; they win out.
Fsu: will beat GT. UF could cause problems due to their great D & Boom leaving.
Urban State: he doesn't want another Saban-Attack; Osu may drop one to Wisky.
Baylor/tcu: both likely win out.
1-bammer
2-Oregon
3-MSU
4-fsu

Bammer wins in Nola and plays MSU/Oregon winner for our 873rd NC.