PDA

View Full Version : Todd4State's Vandy thoughts

Todd4State
11-23-2014, 01:07 PM
1. Dak looks like he is relaxed again. Scary.

2. Shumpert is really coming on and next year I think we are going to see Robinson and Shumpert as a two headed monster at RB. Jackie would be proud. I thought Shumpert showed some nice hands in the passing game too.

3. Joe Morrow is not flashy like Bear, but he has made some nice catches this year and has continued to develop. He's a good blocker as well. It's great to see us continue to use a lot of different receivers and get them involved.

4. I LOVED the shovel pass to Malcolm Johnson. I think that drive and play really set the tone and ended any faint hopes that Vandy had of pulling out a miracle win.

5. The o-line was fine, but we need to clean up the false starts and some of the crazy penalties like ineligible man downfield, and illegal blocking. Although, that officiating crew seemed like they were looking for small things- while missing obvious ones. Just a bad officiating crew.

6. Our front seven dominated all night long. GREAT to see Turtle get another TD. Vandy's RB is actually a pretty good player- and we shut him down. We had several sacks, lots of hurries on the QB.

7. It was great to see the secondary come up with some picks and the defense get some turnovers. I suspect that kind of comes in stretches sometimes, but it was good to see it go our way for once. Coman isn't great in coverage, but he hits hard.

8. Special teams- sigh. We missed an EXTRA POINT. Bell shanked a punt or two and finally Dan got in his face and chewed his ass out. We kicked a ball out of bounds on a kickoff. And then Fred Ross fielded a punt at the six. We covered kicks well for the most part. Special teams is what it is.

9. I can't say that Vandy is a very physical team- but they were pretty chippy. I'm sure it sucks getting your ass kicked in like that week in and week out though.

IMissJack
11-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Concerning #8- As long as we are looking for ways to create room for more scholly's, as far as I'm concerned Bell should not be back next year. Cooke is as good as Bell, and neither is great in clutch situations.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Concerning #8- As long as we are looking for ways to create room for more scholly's, as far as I'm concerned Bell should not be back next year. Cooke is as good as Bell, and neither is great in clutch situations.

It makes no sense to carry 2 punters on scholarship for 2 more years.

Todd4State
11-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Bell's biggest issue to me is he has a hard time dealing with the pressure of playing in the SEC. I think he has talent. But then we get to the Alabama game- awful. And then it carried over to Vandy. He let's the moment get to him.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Our Special teams coach needs to demote himself and hire a competent ST coach. There is zero excuse for our ST to be such garbage. And I mean, pure garbage. What happened to all of our kickoffs through the endzone earlier in the year? If we go in there and start beating the Bears' ass next week, it sure,would be a shame if we let them back in it with a Kickoff return. Or a shanked punt, or a line drive punt return for TD, or some other stupid Bullshit that our ST unit is capable of.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Our Special teams coach needs to demote himself and hire a competent ST coach. There is zero excuse for our ST to be such garbage. And I mean, pure garbage. What happened to all of our kickoffs through the endzone earlier in the year? If we go in there and start beating the Bears' ass next week, it sure,would be a shame if we let them back in it with a Kickoff return. Or a shanked punt, or a line drive punt return for TD, or some other stupid Bullshit that our ST unit is capable of.

Cooke did most of the kickoff last nights. Has he been our KO guy the last few weeks? Mullen wasn't happy with him kicking it out of bounds.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Cooke has been handling kickoffs since his red shirt was pulled. So the last 9 or 10 games.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Cooke has been handling kickoffs since his red shirt was pulled. So the last 9 or 10 games.

Interesting, he wasn't kicking it as deep last night.

FlabLoser
11-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Interesting, he wasn't kicking it as deep last night.

He kicked them high. I think on KOs we are trying to kick the high & short of the endzone to give field position inside the 25.

Bama does a hell of a job with that. They had us starting inside the 15 once or twice. That should never happen.

Oh and pump the brakes on judging our RBs in this game. Vandy is the most arm tackling team I've ever seen. We ran through arm tackles all night.

justwin
11-23-2014, 02:35 PM
good stuff.

#2 - JRob is going pro. Crazy to think Shumpert is going to get first crack at being the "the guy" next year, but make no mistake that our backfield will be very very young in 2015. Shump - then Lee (sleeper) & Aeris as 2a/2b. Of Malik, Alec Murphy, Kentavious Thomas, Nick Gibson - who plays? I say Malik and Thomas to round out the 5.

#3 - couldn't be more happy for Morrow. Dude has 11 catches and 4 tds on the year. that's serious production. last night was the first time I saw him play with swagger....seems like the light is starting to turn on. Crazy to think that Paidwell has 48 catches and only 5 tds.

#8. Sobiesk is 9/10 on FGs. 9 of freaking 10. His only miss was a 42 yarder vs TXAM that barely was outside of the goal posts. Every one of his FG attempts have the same trajectory and ball height. He's 50/53 on PATs and his 3 misses were due to him slipping. Yes, extra points should be automatic, but 9/10 as a sophomore is superb. Bell needs to go.....everyone sees this. He just needs to go. I like what I'm seeing with Fred Ross returning punts and still would've like to see Gabe Myles get a shot. but you're right...it is what it is.

2. Shumpert is really coming on and next year I think we are going to see Robinson and Shumpert as a two headed monster at RB. Jackie would be proud. I thought Shumpert showed some nice hands in the passing game too.

3. Joe Morrow is not flashy like Bear, but he has made some nice catches this year and has continued to develop. He's a good blocker as well. It's great to see us continue to use a lot of different receivers and get them involved

8. Special teams- sigh. We missed an EXTRA POINT. Bell shanked a punt or two and finally Dan got in his face and chewed his ass out. We kicked a ball out of bounds on a kickoff. And then Fred Ross fielded a punt at the six. We covered kicks well for the most part. Special teams is what it is.

GTHOM
11-23-2014, 03:24 PM
I thought we looked like we were ready for TSUN last night. very clean performance besides that garbage ref crew, hope we dont get them next week. good stuff

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 03:27 PM
good stuff.

#2 - JRob is going pro. Crazy to think Shumpert is going to get first crack at being the "the guy" next year, but make no mistake that our backfield will be very very young in 2015. Shump - then Lee (sleeper) & Aeris as 2a/2b. Of Malik, Alec Murphy, Kentavious Thomas, Nick Gibson - who plays? I say Malik and Thomas to round out the 5.

#3 - couldn't be more happy for Morrow. Dude has 11 catches and 4 tds on the year. that's serious production. last night was the first time I saw him play with swagger....seems like the light is starting to turn on. Crazy to think that Paidwell has 48 catches and only 5 tds.

#8. Sobiesk is 9/10 on FGs. 9 of freaking 10. His only miss was a 42 yarder vs TXAM that barely was outside of the goal posts. Every one of his FG attempts have the same trajectory and ball height. He's 50/53 on PATs and his 3 misses were due to him slipping. Yes, extra points should be automatic, but 9/10 as a sophomore is superb. Bell needs to go.....everyone sees this. He just needs to go. I like what I'm seeing with Fred Ross returning punts and still would've like to see Gabe Myles get a shot. but you're right...it is what it is.

Josh is not going pro this year. If he does, he is getting some horrible advice. And Dontavion Lee was supposedly being moved from RB to defense, but I may be wrong. Either way, even IF Lee is still a RB, no way he leap frogs Aeris Williams unless Williams gets injured.

Political Hack
11-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Josh is not going pro this year. If he does, he is getting some horrible advice.

don't know who you're talking to, but it ain't the right people.... He's about as likely as BMac to go right now.

AlSwearengen
11-23-2014, 03:42 PM
We need to do like everyone else and go to australia to find a kicker. Also, J.T. Gray is a pretty explosive player. I can see what has caused some of the hype.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 03:50 PM
don't know who you're talking to, but it ain't the right people.... He's about as likely as BMac to go right now.

Did you read the second half of the sentence you quoted?

Not due to draft status he isn't. Not sure what mock draft you're looking at, but he isn't anywhere near the highest RB draft choices. McKinney is the #1 LB in most mocks. Again, Josh CAN go, but he would be nuts to go.

FlabLoser
11-23-2014, 03:54 PM
A formerly homeless man with a great chance to get drafted in the same class where Gurly should have been a high pick...he gone. Can't blame him one bit. I wish him great success and I'm so glad he's a dawg.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 03:58 PM
A formerly homeless man with a great chance to get drafted in the same class where Gurly should have been a high pick...he gone. Can't blame him one bit. I wish him great success and I'm so glad he's a dawg.

Where are you seeing that he has a "great chance to get drafted"? I'm seriously wondering. He isn't in the Top 75 RB's or the Top 1000 overall prospects on the CBS draft board or any other board I've viewed. Again, I will be proud for him if he leaves, because I'm happy he's a dawg....but outside of just hoping he does well in the combine, he is nowhere near a lock to be drafted. So again I say, it seems crazy for him to leave, and like someone is giving him bad advice....but if he goes, I tip my cap and hope Shump and Aeris are ready to carry the load.

I'm fine with people thinking he's leaving....but can you give me a better explanation of why you guys seem so sure? Because it isn't draft status. Now if he has said he's leaving behind closed doors, I will gladly be quiet...I'm just curious as to why people say he's surely gone.

HoopsDawg
11-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Where are you seeing that he has a "great chance to get drafted"? I'm seriously wondering. He isn't in the Top 75 RB's or the Top 1000 overall prospects on the CBS draft board or any other board I've viewed. Again, I will be proud for him if he leaves, because I'm happy he's a dawg....but outside of just hoping he does well in the combine, he is nowhere near a lock to be drafted. So again I say, it seems crazy for him to leave, and like someone is giving him bad advice....but if he goes, I tip my cap and hope Shump and Aeris are ready to carry the load.

I'm fine with people thinking he's leaving....but can you give me a better explanation of why you guys seem so sure? Because it isn't draft status. Now if he has said he's leaving behind closed doors, I will gladly be quiet...I'm just curious as to why people say he's surely gone.

J-Rob won't be drafted imo, but maybe he's just ready to give it a shot.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 04:16 PM
J-Rob won't be drafted imo, but maybe he's just ready to give it a shot.

Yea, that's the only explanation that makes sense.

Political Hack
11-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Did you read the second half of the sentence you quoted?

Not due to draft status he isn't. Not sure what mock draft you're looking at, but he isn't anywhere near the highest RB draft choices. McKinney is the #1 LB in most mocks. Again, Josh CAN go, but he would be nuts to go.

he'll get a grade after the season, and if it's decent, he's gone. I think he'll climb the boards after workouts.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 04:22 PM
he'll get a grade after the season, and if it's decent, he's gone. I think he'll climb the boards after workouts.

Well then he is nowhere close to being "as likely as BMac" to leave at this point.

engie
11-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Think it's more likely to go the other way IMO... He doesn't have projectable top end...

engie
11-23-2014, 04:29 PM
At this time last year, it was "likely Preston Smith was going too...after all, he had a kid on the way"...

We just need to let this stuff play out. Thusfar, Mullen has talked alot of people in some pretty desperate circumstances into coming back to school for their last one when they didn't get first round grades. I don't see Josh getting any better than a late-mid round projection -- and the stuff he's great at will not show up in a workout...

dawgoneyall
11-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Planned kickoffs. High and at 1 or 2 and force them to return. Worked mostly.

CadaverDawg
11-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Planned kickoffs. High and at 1 or 2 and force them to return. Worked mostly.

I call that playing with fire.

If you can kick it through the Endzone....kick it through the Endzone.

Political Hack
11-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Well then he is nowhere close to being "as likely as BMac" to leave at this point.

just sharing what I know. he gets a grade, he's gone. I think he will when the scouts show up and see what he looks like in person.

dawgs
11-23-2014, 04:43 PM

My reasoning has to do with the way RBs are used in the NFL these days. Robinson's stock isn't going to change much between now and next year, and RBs have a limited number of carries in their bodies. He'd be better off getting paid something and hopefully making it to a nice 2nd NFL contract that sets him up for life than to give away another 250 touches for free at msu with minimal chance of improving his draft stock.

engie
11-23-2014, 04:55 PM
I call that playing with fire.

If you can kick it through the Endzone....kick it through the Endzone.

It's situational and opponent personnel dependent. Basically every team in the country is doing it now to some extent...

TXDawg
11-23-2014, 05:30 PM
just sharing what I know. he gets a grade, he's gone. I think he will when the scouts show up and see what he looks like in person.

You think scouts haven't seen him in person yet? I don't know if he's leaving or not, but I'm pretty sure scouts have seen him.

maroonmania
11-23-2014, 05:51 PM
It makes no sense to carry 2 punters on scholarship for 2 more years.

Let's just be blount, I haven't seen a kicker/punter/KO guy on this team that is worth tying up a scholarship for. We are average or below average in each phase. Yes, Sobs is better now but botched an XP last night, Bell's punting has gotten consistently shorter and shorter in length and now he is shanking balls, Cooke I can't say much about other than he does OK on kickoffs and punts and missed a FG about 25 yards to the left of the post when given a shot. We have NO kickers in any area that can be counted on consistently so having 2 schollys tied up there is a waste.

Political Hack
11-23-2014, 05:59 PM
You think scouts haven't seen him in person yet? I don't know if he's leaving or not, but I'm pretty sure scouts have seen him.

I don't think they've been down on the field with him watching his every move while he works out.