PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we actually jump ahead of fsu to the number three spot?

RC3
11-23-2014, 10:33 AM
They had to squeak another one out. At home. To a mediocre BC team

The committee has made it clear that they aren't that impressed with FSU. I would love to see us move up a spot and give us a little breathing room. I do like the current matchup with bama though in the sugar bowl if we both were to finish in the same spot.
Thoughts?
Possible?
Doesn't seem like any pundits are giving this any thought

Rick Danko
11-23-2014, 10:38 AM
I just don't see that happening. Of course, you can put me in the group that was sure we would drop out of the top 4 last week so that shows what I know, ha ha.

On a different note, did anyone catch Jimbos post game presser, talking about "in the end all teams but them didn't get it done at least one game". He is doing all he can to sell they are still undefeated and thus should be in but man, their schedule is a warm bag of dog shit burning on the front porch.

RC3
11-23-2014, 10:40 AM
They'll be in as long as they win out. They may not be one of the best 4 teams but there is just no way not to put them in

Quaoarsking
11-23-2014, 10:42 AM
It's more likely that we move up to 3 than drop to 5, but I bet we stay 4th.

Florida State deserves to be in the 6-7 range though.

mparkerfd20
11-23-2014, 10:44 AM
We should, but we won't.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2014, 10:47 AM
They may want to jump us over FSU, but I don't think they will. If they did, it would send a huge statement that the playoff field is set, unless one of the top 4 teams loses.

Everyone knows that FSU is in the playoff if they go undefeated, so all you would accomplishing by putting MSU at 3rd, is telling OSU, Baylor, and TCU that one of the top 4 has to lose for them to get in.

Therefore, I think they keep FSU at 3 because they need MSU to be the team that they can shuffle out.

It would send a huge shockwave message if they moved us to 3, but I don't see it happening.

RC3
11-23-2014, 10:49 AM
They may want to jump us over FSU, but I don't think they will. If they did, it would send a huge statement that the playoff field is set, unless one of the top 4 teams loses.

Everyone knows that FSU is in the playoff if they go undefeated, so all you would accomplishing by putting MSU at 3rd, is telling OSU, Baylor, and TCU that one of the top 4 has to lose for them to get in.

Therefore, I think they keep FSU at 3 because they need MSU to be the team that they can shuffle out.

It would send a huge shockwave message if they moved us to 3, but I don't see it happening.

Good points and I agree. Plus it would hurt ratings on their weekly playoff rankings show

RiverCityDawg
11-23-2014, 10:51 AM
We should jump them.

Think about it this way… Florida State KNOWS the committee and college football fans everywhere doubt whether they are any good. All they have to do is beat down ONE team and those doubts would go away a little bit…and they can't do it. Time after time they play average teams close. They can't rise up and beat someone down ONCE? Its because they just aren't that good.

Our team, on the other hand, came out and did what great teams do when they are being questioned… Curb stomp the next team up. If the committee is truly about the business of ranking the "best" teams, we should be ahead of them.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
We should jump them.

Think about it this way… Florida State KNOWS the committee and college football fans everywhere doubt whether they are any good. All they have to do is beat down ONE team and those doubts would go away a little bit…and they can't do it. Time after time they play average teams close. They can't rise up and beat someone down ONCE? Its because they just aren't that good.

Our team, on the other hand, came out and did what great teams do when they are being questioned… Curb stomp the next team up. If the committee is truly about the business of ranking the "best" teams, we should be ahead of them.

I completely agree and they may agree as well, but they won't do it because it would mean that the playoff is set unless a top 4 loses. They won't put themselves in that position. Once you move MSU to #3, they can't be the first team that get's jumped. The #4 team is the first team to get jumped, and that ain't happening unless FSU loses.

DownwardDawg
11-23-2014, 11:03 AM
I think it's 50/50, but I think we'll end up 4th Tuesday. I think the committee is expecting UF to beat FSU so that's when they'll drop out. Hell, I don't know. As I typed this I realized how much I was just pulling this out my ass.

DLGDawg
11-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Watched a lot of TV yesterday and cant remember who said this but one the TV guys said, "FSU may just win their way out of the playoff". Ha. Thought that was funny as hell.

I completely agree and they may agree as well, but they won't do it because it would mean that the playoff is set unless a top 4 loses. They won't put themselves in that position. Once you move MSU to #3, they can't be the first team that get's jumped. The #4 team is the first team to get jumped, and that ain't happening unless FSU loses.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Watched a lot of TV yesterday and cant remember who said this but one the TV guys said, "FSU may just win their way out of the playoff". Ha. Thought that was funny as hell.

I don't think the committee will allow that to happen and I'm not sure they should. Sure, it would help us, but I do believe that people that win all their games should be rewarded and praised for that. FSU looks like crap, but, in the spirit of championships, you have to keep the team that wins all their games.

justwin
11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
MSU deserves to be in the top 3. If they are willing to put TCU over Baylor despite Baylor winning head to head then why isn't MSU ahead of Bama?

Bama's loss to OM is a much worse loss than our loss to Bama....period. end of story.

Mullen said it best when he called Bama's win an upset of MSU during last night's broadcast.

I just don't understand how Oregon and Bama are immune to not being grouped with the other 1 loss teams.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2014, 11:45 AM
MSU deserves to be in the top 3. If they are willing to put TCU over Baylor despite Baylor winning head to head then why isn't MSU ahead of Bama?

Bama's loss to OM is a much worse loss than our loss to Bama....period. end of story.

Mullen said it best when he called Bama's win an upset of MSU during last night's broadcast.

I just don't understand how Oregon and Bama are immune to not being grouped with the other 1 loss teams.

Bama has beat all the same teams we have plus West Virginia. I don't have an issue with them.

On paper, Oregon better wins than us, but I believe they would have more than one loss if they played our schedule. The biggest problem right now is that teams aren't being ranked by how good they are, but rather by their won/loss record, and, since the SEC West beat up on each other, because you know, they play and shit, very good SEC West teams that have wins over K State, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, and Boise, have 3 or 4 losses.

It's a terribly unfair situation but because the media and committee shies away from the subjectivity of actually evaluating teams, it's what we are left with.

Arkansas would be a 10 point favorite over Minnesota, Nebraska, etc, but they probably won't be ranked this week, due to their win/loss record. The committee could send a message Tuesday night by ranking Arkansas.

DownwardDawg
11-23-2014, 11:49 AM

I agree with this completely. Our entire "body of work" is as good or better than Bama's. They squeeked out a win against Arkansas by 1 point in a game that Arky should have won. We beat Arky by 7 in a game where we were clearly the better team. They squeeked out an OT win against LSU, a team that we dominated and could have beaten much worse than we did. They lost to ole miss........But, they beat the number 1 team in the country, at their place, by 5 points.

DownwardDawg
11-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Bama has beat all the same teams we have plus West Virginia. I don't have an issue with them.

On paper, Oregon better wins than us, but I believe they would have more than one loss if they played our schedule. The biggest problem right now is that teams aren't being ranked by how good they are, but rather by their won/loss record, and, since the SEC West beat up on each other, because you know, they play and shit, very good SEC West teams that have wins over K State, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, and Boise, have 3 or 4 losses.

It's a terribly unfair situation but because the media and committee shies away from the subjectivity of actually evaluating teams, it's what we are left with.

Arkansas would be a 10 point favorite over Minnesota, Nebraska, etc, but they probably won't be ranked this week, due to their win/loss record. The committee could send a message Tuesday night by ranking Arkansas.

I couldn't agree more. Arkansas would whip all of those teams.