PDA

View Full Version : Even more proud to be a Dawg today....

CadaverDawg
06-14-2013, 12:07 AM
This is kind of a selfish post, but It means a lot to me so I apologize to those that don't care.

Today there was a scholarship created at Mississippi State in my grandfather's name. He spent the last few days in Starkville as a guest, and tonight I ate dinner with him and he told me about his time there.

I want you guys to know that they treated that 91 year old man like an absolute King for a day and a half, and it made him the happiest I've seen him in some time. It makes me extremely happy to know the steps that our University took to make him feel appreciated and to thank him.

I won't go in to great detail....but just know that Mississippi State University is making us all extremely proud behind the scenes.

Thanks MSU.

Todd4State
06-14-2013, 01:05 AM
That is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

RTO Dawg
06-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Way to go PAWPAW............Hailstate

BeastMan
06-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Congrats Cadaver. That's awesome

FISHDAWG
06-14-2013, 08:14 AM
very cool Cadaver ... hold your head high

Coach 57
06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Don't apologize for sharing buddy. That my friend IS cool!

Drugdog
06-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Great story. When my dad passed away he was buried in a MSU baseball t shirt with a Maroon polo. The old timers loved the Dogs as much if not more than we do.

Pollodawg
06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
When my brother died, he was buried in his MSU tie. There is a Mississippi State flag on his grave to this day. Love the dawgs.

Drewbowski
06-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Congratulations and a very cool story. I am glad that M-State is a family and family members are usually treated well.

Coach34
06-14-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm going to be creamated- and my ashes are to be spread at Scott Field, Dudy Noble, and my favorite golf hole in Gulf Shores.

Great story Cadaver- proud weekfor your family. Congrats

CadaverDawg
06-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Coach, hopefully by having you spread over Scott Field we will have something to combat the Indians....after all, we all know that those Indians are Ole Miss fans when angered, and it is well documented that you are kryptonite for Ole Miss fans.

hometowndawg
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I'd kinda like you to go into more detail if you are comfortable with sharing. These kind of stories make me proud of the university and State of Mississippi as a whole. Guess there is a reason we are called the hospitality state.

Also to note, my grandfather slipped a MSU baseball hat into his brother's coffin before he was buried. Thought that was neat. He loved MSU.

CadaverDawg
06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
hometown, I will give you a few more details.

First off, when he arrived they had the red carpet rolled out with a huge gift basket full of anything and everything MSU. They put him in a super nice hotel room and took and him to a fancy dinner. They took him on a full tour of the campus since he had not been back in several years. They even found out where he had lived while there and took him back to where that location is now. Even went as far as finding out where he and my grandmother (who is not passed away) lived and took them there. Obviously, this was very emotional for him, and made him very grateful.

They offered him and his family skybox tickets for a few football games on the 50 yard line, and told him he would have a dedicated golf cart to anywhere he needs to go on campus from this point forward. Took him to the Left Field Lounge, which was great, because my grandfather loves the contraptions out there and has always wanted to see them up close. They took him through the Sanderson, Palmeiro, etc, and got pictures of him at all of the historical spots and in front of the bulldog statue.

They took him to the many areas of campus that are focused on the area of study that the scholarship is going to, and showed what is already being done in those programs. He was impressed, and it made him really happy that his name would be associated with that program now.

And that was just some of it. You could tell that it was a life changing thing for him, and it brought back a lot of great memories. But most of all, he came away with the greatest sense of pride for MSU. The way they hit on the academics, sports, and drew in the family research and tied it all together....was super impressive. To go to the lengths and do the research they had to have done, was really something special...especially to him.

Since he is 91, he pretty much told me that he likely wouldn't take advantage of the skybox because it's a long trip for him to Starkville......needless to say, he has a grandson working diligently to change his mind about that!

ETA: I forgot to mention that they took him through the Depot and had him ring a cowbell and got pictures and stuff too. They also showed him where the train track inlays were going to eventually be throughout the campus, and I had no idea that they were doing that. It is going to be really awesome when they get done around the junction and football field based on what all he was telling me. Just wanted to mention that.

FISHDAWG
06-14-2013, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;21333]hometown, I will give you a few more details.

Since he is 91, he pretty much told me that he likely wouldn't take advantage of the skybox because it's a long trip for him to Starkville......needless to say, he has a grandson working diligently to change his mind about that!

did I mention that I throw a hell of a tailgate ?

State82
06-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Man, what a cool deal CD! Congrats to your family for having such a great Bulldog to look up to.

Original48
06-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that Cadaver. Awesome stuff!!

CadaverDawg
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Congrats to your family for having such a great Bulldog to look up to.

Thanks guys. And you're right about this^....and an even better all around man.