PDA

View Full Version : Scholly for a kicker, AGAIN???

Okrastar1
06-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Ok has anyone seen this kicker? Logan Cooke? We did this same crap with Devon Bell 2 yrs ago... Kid must be a straight up beast of a kicker because we are already short on scholarships this year! What do y'all think?

msstate7
06-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Ok has anyone seen this kicker? Logan Cooke? We did this same crap with Devon Bell 2 yrs ago... Kid must be a straight up beast of a kicker because we are already short on scholarships this year! What do y'all think?

Could be a reflection on bell

Okrastar1
06-13-2013, 11:05 PM
I know that's what I thought but why waste a scholarship on a kicker again? A walk on kicker on a sec workout schedule can be just as good, my dog was more reliable than bell most of the year! He scares the crap out of you just kicking a extra point! We are so limited and give me a project ol or dl over a damn kicker!

SaltyDawg
06-14-2013, 08:03 AM
I know that's what I thought but why waste a scholarship on a kicker again? A walk on kicker on a sec workout schedule can be just as good, my dog was more reliable than bell most of the year! He scares the crap out of you just kicking a extra point! We are so limited and give me a project ol or dl over a damn kicker!

**** that. Kickers can be the difference in a game, if you haven't seen kickers win/lose a game single handedly then you haven't watched enough football. If the kid is legit and can be a difference maker, give him a scholly.

FISHDAWG
06-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm glad to see Dan trying to improve our kicking game ... kicking can make a big difference ... also would be nice to get someone who can kick it into the endzone when we need it

engdawg04
06-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm with salty on this one. If it costs us a couple of scholarships to have a reliable kicker and punter, then by all means give them a scholarship. Hell Swedenberg was our most consistent player last year, we either led the country or was real damn close to leading the country in the least amount of yards allowed on punt returns. Field position matters...

Drugdog
06-14-2013, 08:28 AM
The game has changed. Scores are closer than ever. The difference in a losing season and a bowl game could down to kicking. I say sign him up.
I trust Dan.
....now if he signs a 5ft 9 inch pulling guard from AAA Academy ball that runs a 5.3 40 then we may be in trouble...but I have not gotten a call yet.

quickstrike2
06-14-2013, 08:39 AM
I have seen him, Logan goes to the high school i graduated from. He can really punt the ball, that's where his main focus is i believe. He does kick as well, but is a talented punter. I don't think there was anyway he was not coming to State from the beginning, but other scholarships have came in for him, so I don't think he would have walked on with other scholly offers available.

msstate7
06-14-2013, 08:49 AM
I have seen him, Logan goes to the high school i graduated from. He can really punt the ball, that's where his main focus is i believe. He does kick as well, but is a talented punter. I don't think there was anyway he was not coming to State from the beginning, but other scholarships have came in for him, so I don't think he would have walked on with other scholly offers available.

If we're getting him as a punter, that makes me feel better about bell. I wasn't liking the idea of signing up a kicker on a scholarship after we just gave bell one.

quickstrike2
06-14-2013, 09:04 AM
If we're getting him as a punter, that makes me feel better about bell. I wasn't liking the idea of signing up a kicker on a scholarship after we just gave bell one.

I really doubt he will kick field goals. He will be a punter and a kickoff guy. I was just looking up numbers, and last year as a junior he had 41 touchbacks on 48 kickoff attempts per scout. That seems pretty impressive.

dawgoneyall
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Nothing wrong with a scholly for a kicker. They play more than half the people on the team. And if it takes a scholarship to get a good one give it.

SaltyDawg
06-14-2013, 10:11 AM
If this kid punts as well as Swedenburg did last year, and can give us a good percentage on touchbacks (or good hang time on kickoffs)- he'll be a very valuable addition that is absolutely worthy of a scholly.