PDA

View Full Version : Why are people afraid that the Committee will buckle to media pressure?

Quaoarsking
11-22-2014, 11:40 AM
This is the committee:
Condoleeza Rice was under a lot more intense media scrutiny when she was Secretary of State and never buckled to that.
Tom Osborne served in the U.S. House of Representatives and ran for governor and lost. He too has faced real media scrutiny without buckling. He's probably also just too old to care about angry talking heads.
Michael Gould used to be in charge of the US Air Force Academy. I suspect he's much too discplined to care about the media.
Tyrone Willingham has been fired from two jobs, Notre Dame and Washington, after poor coaching performance. He's used to being criticized by the media.
Mike Tranghese faced a lot stiffer criticism when the Big East fell apart on his watch.
Tom Jernstedt is a former NCAA Executive Vice President. He should be used to a lot of negative media attention too.
Pat Haden has had several incidents in which the media's skewered him; he's never cared.
In addition to Haden, Jeff Long, Barry Alvarez, Oliver Luck, and Dan Radakovich are current ADs and should be used to making decisions the media may or may not like without letting that influence them.
That leaves Steve Wieberg, a former USA Today football reporter. Not sure about him.

Most of this committee should be able to deal with whatever pressure (if it even actually exists) the media throws its way. I am not remotely worried that the Committee will push Ohio State above us just because the media is "demanding" it.

scottycameron
11-22-2014, 11:53 AM
wtf is condaleeza rice doing on that list? Does she have any actual say or is she just listed on it to look pc for the guys that get off on that kind of shit?

oldjoedawg
11-22-2014, 11:58 AM
This is the committee:
Condoleeza Rice was under a lot more intense media scrutiny when she was Secretary of State and never buckled to that.
Tom Osborne served in the U.S. House of Representatives and ran for governor and lost. He too has faced real media scrutiny without buckling. He's probably also just too old to care about angry talking heads.
Michael Gould used to be in charge of the US Air Force Academy. I suspect he's much too discplined to care about the media.
Tyrone Willingham has been fired from two jobs, Notre Dame and Washington, after poor coaching performance. He's used to being criticized by the media.
Mike Tranghese faced a lot stiffer criticism when the Big East fell apart on his watch.
Tom Jernstedt is a former NCAA Executive Vice President. He should be used to a lot of negative media attention too.
Pat Haden has had several incidents in which the media's skewered him; he's never cared.
In addition to Haden, Jeff Long, Barry Alvarez, Oliver Luck, and Dan Radakovich are current ADs and should be used to making decisions the media may or may not like without letting that influence them.
That leaves Steve Wieberg, a former USA Today football reporter. Not sure about him.

Most of this committee should be able to deal with whatever pressure (if it even actually exists) the media throws its way. I am not remotely worried that the Committee will push Ohio State above us just because the media is "demanding" it.

This has been my feeling all along..... none of these folks give a whit about the TV talking heads' opinions. Not saying I can guarantee that we get in if we win out, but I strongly believe we will. I do not understand all the message board angst over the TV pundits nor the incessant fear that we are gonna get messed over. Class of '62

dawgs
11-22-2014, 12:01 PM
This has been my feeling all along..... none of these folks give a whit about the TV talking heads' opinions. Not saying I can guarantee that we get in if we win out, but I strongly believe we will. I do not understand all the message board angst over the TV pundits nor the incessant fear that we are gonna get messed over. Class of '62

Agreed too. These aren't a bunch of folks that are gonna get overwhelmed by the media pressure or compromise their integrity because of fanbase size and anticipated TV ratings.

Fred Garvin
11-22-2014, 12:21 PM
wtf is condaleeza rice doing on that list? Does she have any actual say or is she just listed on it to look pc for the guys that get off on that kind of shit?

She was provost at Stanford so I'm sure she represents the academics. I think she's an awesome individual and I'm glad she on the board. No problem with it at all.

scottycameron
11-22-2014, 12:39 PM
She was provost at Stanford so I'm sure she represents the academics. I think she's an awesome individual and I'm glad she on the board. No problem with it at all.

wtf has academics got to do with this? She gonna factor in the USnews ranking for the final spot?
This whole thing was ****ed from the get go. I can understand everybody outside of the sec wanting this disaster, but I've never understood how an sec person could support it.

TUSK
11-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Birmingham, AL native.... REC doin' work.

oldjoedawg
11-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Hey, big fella, you do realize that there are women who watch a lot of football and some even play it.....With your comments as a guide, I'll take her on the committee over you every day of the week....:)

Maroons
11-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Agreed too. These aren't a bunch of folks that are gonna get overwhelmed by the media pressure or compromise their integrity because of fanbase size and anticipated TV ratings.

One member did buckle to the pressure and found an excuse to not serve this year ...

Good for us though.

gravedigger
11-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Because state fans are historically told why we'll never be a contender by everyone and due to never being in the nc hunt, the evidence is believable.

Only thing is, its just not true. Media bias sec office bias whatever, is an excuse. We can win it all. But we are going to have to make the big game and probably win it before they shut up.

Va tech played for a nc vs florida state and nobody takes them seriously now even though they proved it could be done.

We are trained to believe we are just too "small" to play with the big boys.