PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Hines Decommits: Does taking early commits help you?

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2014, 08:15 PM
It's been a rotten day, but I guess we've been due one and hopefully things get better tomorrow

Top 2017 LB Anthony Hines just decommitted, and, while it isn't unexpected, it makes me wonder if accepting early commits, before JR. season, is a good thing to do.

In many ways, I think it's better to build the relationship, recruit the kid, but play hard to get and don't accept the commitment, because it makes a kid feel locked into a relationship before he's ready to settle down.

I look at this like dating a girl. Your better off building that relationship without any commitment to each other until you fall in love. If a commitment is expected before the two parties fall in love, then you are just opening yourself up to cheating, feeling closterphobic, and not feeling like you can live your life.

I wonder if we would have more success with these guys if we took the relationship slower and building a foundation of trust before getting married?

msstate7
11-21-2014, 08:17 PM
'17 commits aren't even commits imo. Too far away.

bulldawg28
11-21-2014, 08:21 PM
2017 is along way off.

EnterpriseDawg
11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
He stated the crappy way we handled Virgil was one of the reasons. Could be just a out after blowing up on the reciting trail. I wonder if we have lasting effects over this. I realize everyone does it, but we seem to be the only ones in front of the firing squad.

msstate7
11-21-2014, 08:27 PM
He stated the crappy way we handled Virgil was one of the reasons. Could be just a out after blowing up on the reciting trail. I wonder if we have lasting effects over this. I realize everyone does it, but we seem to be the only ones in front of the firing squad.

Easy target. We're the out-of-state school thats now in the national spotlight. Embrace the hate. We're worth hating now

SDDawg
11-21-2014, 08:29 PM
His Dad is running the show and used this as an excuse, nothing more. Not a great move imo but it's their life and they need to do what's best for them, so time to move forward. As msstate7 said, a 2017 commit isn't a real commit anyway (especially when you took it over a year ago). Still a great rest of the season ahead of us and great 2015 and 2016 classes on the horizon.

Leroy Jenkins
11-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Kids recruitment has been re-opened for months.... Even Robbie Faulk knows that

"The decommittment doesn't come as much of a surprise as Hines hasn't been shy about his interest in other schools after visiting around the country this summer. After the Bulldogs were his first major offer, he exploded on the camp circuit this summer with offers and even removed information on his Twitter bio about his commitment to MSU." -RF

Homedawg
11-21-2014, 08:35 PM

So much bullshit but whatever....

GreenheadDawg
11-21-2014, 09:05 PM
I just think it's wrong to offer Virgil a greyshirt. The kid has been committed for several months and has not flaked one bit. Chason, his coach, and family have every right to be pissed. It makes our coaching staff look extremely and it's just shitty. I know it's part of the business but it doesn't make it any less of a dick move. Think about how that kid feels. Don't think that recruits aren't noticing this shit. The thing I don't understand is why our dirt is always on the front page when every other program does the same thing

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2014, 09:15 PM
How many threads have you posted this in? I've looked at two and it's in both.

GreenheadDawg
11-21-2014, 09:17 PM
How many threads have you posted this in? I've looked at two and it's in both.

Damn you can count. Nice. I've posted it in 2. Good job

archdog
11-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Every team does this. Kids should be able to sign exactly 30 days after they commit. Schools should be able to get out of it if the player is injured or breaks a code of conduct, and the player should be able to get out of it if the head coach only leaves. If the player gets injured and still wants to go, the university has to honor that scholorship, but the player cannot play football at the NCAA level, without sitting out an entire year after a transfer. No greyshirts should be allowed. Redshirts should be stated on the letter of intent. If the coach leaves between signing and enrolling, the player can transfer out, but has to sit a year and counts against the other teams scholorship amount.

notsofarawaydawg
11-21-2014, 09:51 PM
You guys can create so much drama over nothing. It's 2014 .. what the ****? 2017????

MabenMaroon
11-21-2014, 10:04 PM
I just think it's wrong to offer Virgil a greyshirt. The kid has been committed for several months and has not flaked one bit. Chason, his coach, and family have every right to be pissed. It makes our coaching staff look extremely and it's just shitty. I know it's part of the business but it doesn't make it any less of a dick move. Think about how that kid feels. Don't think that recruits aren't noticing this shit. The thing I don't understand is why our dirt is always on the front page when every other program does the same thing

Please fill me in with all the details from both sides of the situation, seeing that I have been only been privy the to Chason's camp's tweets. I would be real interested to know just how disgusting our coaching staff has been. Maybe our staff has let this national prominence get to their heads***, seeing that every other comment from all of the other recruits, both past and present, have been very positive and the common thread seems to be about how "real and honest the coaches have been in their recruitment". There is something fishy about this whole twitter announcement and the following backlash.

BullDog
11-21-2014, 10:54 PM
His Dad is running the show and used this as an excuse, nothing more. Not a great move imo but it's their life and they need to do what's best for them, so time to move forward. As msstate7 said, a 2017 commit isn't a real commit anyway (especially when you took it over a year ago). Still a great rest of the season ahead of us and great 2015 and 2016 classes on the horizon.
the msu brand is, recently, taking kids that have reason to have a chip on their shoulder. "We want to give MSU a chance to really recruit him." Hines III pops. NO WAY TO SPIN OUT OF THIS. I admire Hines dad even more now.

BullDog
11-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Please fill me in with all the details from both sides of the situation, seeing that I have been only been privy the to Chason's camp's tweets. I would be real interested to know just how disgusting our coaching staff has been. Maybe our staff has let this national prominence get to their heads***, seeing that every other comment from all of the other recruits, both past and present, have been very positive and the common thread seems to be about how "real and honest the coaches have been in their recruitment". There is something fishy about this whole twitter announcement and the following backlash.

Really? He was amped and reconnected after his last visit.

DLGDawg
11-21-2014, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;292566]It's been a rotten day, but I guess we've been due one and hopefully things get better tomorrow

QUOTE]

Yep...picked the wrong day to stop sniffin' glue.....

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Does taking early commits help us? I would say no in that we shouldn't make it a strategy to build a class around a guy in most circumstances. At the same time, I also don't think it HURTS us either.

Sure, we have been burned, but Robert Washington's class is next season- and our class is shaping up to be pretty good. And when 2017 rolls around, I'm sure that class will be fine as well.

So, my opinion is- we really have nothing to lose by taking an early commit. There is ALWAYS a risk of de-commitment at any time no matter when a player commits- see Tee Shepherd last year. If a player commits as an eighth grader and then de-commits as a tenth grader, we have two years to fill the spot. It's not really a big deal.

On the other hand, if we go Ron Polk with a no early commitment policy- as a hypothetical, let's say that there is a Marcus Dupree caliber player in Mississippi that grew up a huge MSU fan and he is dominating at Madison Central HS as a 9th grader. This kid hypothetically knows he is going to MSU, we're going to offer and etc. and he is also a very mature player emotionally. Let's say he wants to go ahead and commit to us. IMO, if we tell him "no", I think we run more of a risk of losing him because there might be the thought in his head "well, maybe they don't want me". Especially if the other SEC schools are going to let him commit early.

Now that said, I do think that taking an early commitment should be the exception rather than the rule. I do not think we should use it as the main basis to build a class with. But I am OK with it in the right circumstance, and we just have to trust the staff with that. And again, that would be an exceptional situation- sort of like Dylan Moses and LSU.

I think there also needs to be a distinction made between Robert Washington and Anthony Hines because both were different. Washington was basically selling us that he could bring all of his Team USA teammates to MSU with him. Which again, to me was low risk, high reward for MSU. We might have ended up with a national type recruiting class of 4-5 star guys. It also might not- and didn't- happen that way, but it also hasn't hurt us at all. I'm OK with trying something like that out because as others have said on here- we have to be different to succeed. Tim Brewster gets blamed a lot for making promises to the Washington's that he shouldn't have made- although I find it extremely difficult to believe and unlikely that Dan had no idea about those alleged promises and that the Washington's never brought it up to Dan before or after committing.

Hines is a player that committed basically after a "recruiting high" and it surprised our coaches that he was ready to do so. I suspect that we took his commitment because we didn't want to risk offending him, but at the same time knowing that there was probably a better than average chance he wouldn't stick.

But as far as the dating analogy- I would say this. Most of the time people that date in high school don't get married, but there are times it does indeed happen.

hells bells
11-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Gun, 2017. Two shits shy that I give a damn.

TUSK
11-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Yall are gettin way too wound up over this...

it's a 3/4 star kid for the '17 class... that's a million years away...

he does have some decent offers, though...

Regarding early offers and/or filling up classes early, it has always made me feel uneasy...

I seen it dawg
11-22-2014, 01:01 AM
2017? Who the **** cares. Get a grip.

JDog13
11-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Publicity grab

defiantdog
11-22-2014, 11:52 AM
We should have never offered a kid as a freshmen in the first place. Move on, let him go to Oklahoma and join the cesspool of underachievers.