PDA

View Full Version : This Week In GA Commits - Playoff 2nd Edition

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Got lazy again because work got I the way, but Kyle Collins with the Union-Recorder does a great summary on the game. Big note - Thomas now has over 1,300 yards rushing and 20 TDs for the season. Sounds good to me!

This week:

Watching a defense play with reckless abandon and for each other makes Baldwin High School head football coach Lee Hannah smile. The Braves defeated Worth County on the road last week for an opening round GHSA Class AAAA playoff 17-7 victory.
Baldwin?s defense created one interception and four fumbles. "That was one of the top performances I've ever been a part of," Hannah said. "Watching film I got excited just seeing the defense having fun and flying around." Quondarius Holsey led the team with 14 tackles. Malik Clark added nine tackles and one fumble recovery, while Tony Horton made seven tackles and caused one fumble. Chris Veal, Ty Christian Henry, Shelton Graves, Melieck Paschal, Jerrel Simmons and Quavez Hill all contributed at Worth, forcing turnovers and making key stops.

Baldwin's current roster will always be run heavy. The Braves tallied 233 rushing yards to 49 passing last week. Quarterback Felix Jones had 26 carries for 122 yards and a touchdown. Kentavious Thomas added 109 yards and a score also. For the season, Thomas has more than 1,300 yards for 20 TDs and Jones has run for 800 yards. They've been the two-headed monster getting it done on the ground with complimentary players on the perimeter," Hannah said. "We will hang our hat on running the football. We can get it out on the edges to keep the offense balanced when need be."

Hannah thinks the Braves can keep grounding and pounding at Cartersville Friday. The second round playoff opponent is 10-1 after defeating White County 54-0. The Hurricanes field a freshman quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, with 21 passing touchdowns to just four interceptions. "They are an athletic bunch, but they haven't played our level of competition from middle and south Georgia. I think it will be a good test for both of us," Hannah said. Baldwin's 5-1 road mark breeds confidence. "Heck, the [Georgia] Dome is on the road, so we might as well get prepared now," Hannah said.

The Braves want the special season to continue after Friday night. If victorious, BHS would face the winner of Wayne County vs. Sandy Creek.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Baldwin lost 41-10. Great run for Thomas and the Braves

msstate7
11-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Does Thomas have the burst to hit an sec team on the edge? This is a concern of mine with our current stable of rb's. No one has that 2nd gear to the outside, but holloway.

BrunswickDawg
11-22-2014, 08:00 AM
I'll let you be the judge of that:http://youtu.be/4VA3uLdAkng

Looks to me like good speed. But, with a nickname like "Pop", I have a feeling that those power runs you see are his strength.

msstate7
11-22-2014, 08:07 AM
I'll let you be the judge of that:http://youtu.be/4VA3uLdAkng

Looks to me like good speed. But, with a nickname like "Pop", I have a feeling that those power runs you see are his strength.

He looks good.