PDA

View Full Version : The Virgil situation brings up a big issue with me

MetEdDawg
11-21-2014, 03:27 PM
And that's the fact that news and media outlets can dog us and Mullen or any other staff out for this kind of thing and we can't respond back as a university or as an athletic department because it would be a secondary violation or potentially more depending on what was said.

I understand recruiting is a big deal and it spans the nation, but there has to be some way to curb all of the recruiting articles being written that schools can't respond to. I know that would be very difficult to do, so I'm mainly just airing grievances, but to me this is crap.

Outlets can write whatever they want, get the headline now, and we can't talk about it until Virgil is enrolled in school. By that time the damage will have been done and us bringing it back up to address it only highlights the negative aspect of the circumstance even more.

I have a serious problem with outlets like ESPN and others that broadcast nationally when specific teams land recruits and commits during the football season, but it just seems like if something like this happens you are at the mercy of the media because they can say and do pretty much whatever they want and we can't say anything back.

Political Hack
11-21-2014, 03:36 PM
there is zero accountability in the media. none.

Aces High
11-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Im a your word is your bond type guy. That said, kids commit and decommit all the time and nobody seems to care.

That said, I feel like this kid got boned and deserves a phone call considering he hasnt visited anyone else and has multiple bcs offers. He is an early enrollee, so I assume we have someone else in the boat that is a early juco grad.

maroonmania
11-21-2014, 03:53 PM
And that's the fact that news and media outlets can dog us and Mullen or any other staff out for this kind of thing and we can't respond back as a university or as an athletic department because it would be a secondary violation or potentially more depending on what was said.

I understand recruiting is a big deal and it spans the nation, but there has to be some way to curb all of the recruiting articles being written that schools can't respond to. I know that would be very difficult to do, so I'm mainly just airing grievances, but to me this is crap.

Outlets can write whatever they want, get the headline now, and we can't talk about it until Virgil is enrolled in school. By that time the damage will have been done and us bringing it back up to address it only highlights the negative aspect of the circumstance even more.

I have a serious problem with outlets like ESPN and others that broadcast nationally when specific teams land recruits and commits during the football season, but it just seems like if something like this happens you are at the mercy of the media because they can say and do pretty much whatever they want and we can't say anything back.

The thing I don't understand is why we committed Virgil in the first place if we weren't going to follow through. I can't believe that this is about Dak potentially going pro. Going into the season NOBODY was thinking about Dak going pro. He blew up some in the early part of the season to increase the chance but Dak is just not a prototypical pro type QB any more than Tebow was. I didn't understand having a second straight class with 2 QB commits at the time we did it and understand even less now.

Dallas_Dawg
11-21-2014, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=maroonmania;292486]The only thing I don't understand it why we committed Virgil in the first place.]

I think he came with Brian Johnson when we hired him, but he hasn't filled out as expected.
It is in Virgil's best interest to go somewhere else NOW, instead of 1 or 2 years down the road. He has plenty of time to find another school now with over 2 months of recruiting season.
It sucks for him, but life sucks sometimes and you have to deal with it.

Westdawg
11-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Im a your word is your bond type guy. That said, kids commit and decommit all the time and nobody seems to care.

That said, I feel like this kid got boned and deserves a phone call considering he hasnt visited anyone else and has multiple bcs offers. He is an early enrollee, so I assume we have someone else in the boat that is a early juco grad.

i have a feeling that there was strong communication on the part of the staff, and Virgil just didn't want to listen, or it didn't compute. From what i said in another thread, it seems that Virgil was not going to accept being an athlete in this class and was determined to be a QB, hence the slow roll by the staff and ultimately why they had to call his HC at WMHS and have him really TELL him that if we wanted to be a QB at MSU, he would have to wait until next year. Sucks, but it is what it is.

bluelightstar
11-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Well, supposedly we've lost another commit from Texas because of this

msstate7
11-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Who?

bluelightstar
11-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Who?

Anthony Hines, 2017 commit. I see the recruiting folks connecting the dots, but I don't follow all of this close enough to know for sure. Don't like recruiting.

msstate7
11-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Anthony Hines, 2017 commit. I see the recruiting folks connecting the dots, but I don't follow all of this close enough to know for sure. Don't like recruiting.

I guess I still hate to hear this, but I don't even consider '17 commits at this point. I'm worried about holding on to '15 commits. I don't even wanna think that far out

Homedawg
11-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Yea... Right. might have lost him but it won't be because of this. That an excuse along the manny Diaz isn't there anymore from cj Johnson. It's just convenient to mention and gives a way out.

GreenheadDawg
11-21-2014, 09:07 PM
I just think it's wrong to offer Virgil a greyshirt. The kid has been committed for several months and has not flaked one bit. Chason, his coach, and family have every right to be pissed. It makes our coaching staff look extremely and it's just shitty. I know it's part of the business but it doesn't make it any less of a dick move. Think about how that kid feels. Don't think that recruits aren't noticing this shit. The thing I don't understand is why our dirt is always on the front page when every other program does the same thing

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I swear our "fans" will never learn.

hells bells
11-22-2014, 12:31 AM
It does matter what Virgil was offered. The dynamics of the team have changed and Virgil did not fit the system. This not a feeling thing, it is business.

CJDAWG85
11-22-2014, 01:09 AM
It does matter what Virgil was offered. The dynamics of the team have changed and Virgil did not fit the system. This not a feeling thing, it is business.

THIS

I feel bad for the kid, but this is the nature of the beast. We simply ran out of room and he did not fit our system going forward.

TUSK
11-22-2014, 01:37 AM
THIS

I feel bad for the kid, but this is the nature of the beast. We simply ran out of room and he did not fit our system going forward.

exactly, players get "processed" all the time... for example, if you've a full class, then get a late 5* commit, a low 4* has to walk-on or grey shirt...

so is life.