PDA

View Full Version : My take on the whole Virgil situation

Lloyd Christmas
11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
I think this could have been handled better by the staff, but I won't argue with what they did. I know we have talked a lot about the scholarship perspective of this situation but I want to look at it from another angle.

When we offered Virgil he was still a Soph/Junior (can't remember). At that point we were hoping he would grow a bit more mass-wise. That didn't happen. The Marshall type finesse spread QB will not work in Dan's system. You could argue that Dan should have known that before offering, but again it goes back to what someone said in a previous thread: We can't recruit like everyone else. We have to jump on these guys early in the process. The problem with this path is sometimes you have to make these offers based on future projections that may or may not be correct.

I actually see this offer being pulled as a good thing. It's Dan being honest with himself. Dak's success this year has confirmed to Mullen that his system really only works if you have a big boy behind center (Alex Smith is not a good counter example since they played in the WAC). Chason has great stats and I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes, but he would not do well in Mullen's system.

I also see a lot of people on here talking about how we could have put more mass on him. This is true. However, it's not all about muscle. Virgil has a small frame and will always have a small frame regardless of how much meat he packs on. In the meat-head world Chason is known as an ectomorphic body type, whereas Dak is a mesomorphic body type. Small frames will do you no favors running between the tackles in the SEC - regardless of how much muscle you pack on.

The only concern I have is that Nick Tiano doesn't really impress me. I trust our coaching staff, but the kid runs a 4.96 40. That's probably about what Tyler Russell could run.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2014, 11:00 AM
The Chason Virgil situation is equivalent to ending a bad relationship with a girlfriend by calling her parents two days before Prom.

In the end, it all works out and was the right decision, but it could've been handled better.

Irondawg
11-21-2014, 11:23 AM
we all knew that if everyone stayed and showed up there were too many hens in the henhouse next year as you just can't have 6 scholarship QB's. I still think one leaves before the fall and that would leave 4 scholarhip QB's on campus which is about right.

while it may turn out best for all parties in the end we did the kid a disservice - no way around that.

HoopsDawg
11-21-2014, 11:29 AM
we all knew that if everyone stayed and showed up there were too many hens in the henhouse next year as you just can't have 6 scholarship QB's. I still think one leaves before the fall and that would leave 4 scholarhip QB's on campus which is about right.

while it may turn out best for all parties in the end we did the kid a disservice - no way around that.

Mullen fcked this up about as bad as possible. He should have called this kid personally weeks ago. It's best if we just let this go and quit posting about it. And hopefully Mullen learned a lesson that he should have already known.

MSUDawg4Life
11-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Should have never taken his commitment. It's unrealistic to expect the kid to put on the 45 - 50 pounds of muscle in a couple of years that he would need to play in our offense.

I think Chason is a good kid from a good family. He's obviously a very talented QB. I just think his talents would be better used in a different offense. I know he's hurting right now, but this might work out for the best for all involved.