PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, Elijah Staley say...

Coach34
11-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Elijah Staley ‏@ES14_ (https://twitter.com/ES14_) 16m16 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ES14_/status/535636608738140161)
I want to play basketball . Simple as that

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Elijah Staley ‏@ES14_ (https://twitter.com/ES14_) 16m16 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ES14_/status/535636608738140161)

He just misses it and he's redshirting. He probably watches our basketball team and knows he could play.

That being said, Staley does say a lot on twitter that I wish he wouldn't. I don't think he is taking being an SEC QB and leader seriously yet

Pollodawg
11-20-2014, 10:58 PM
I hope he sticks with football. He could be a beast in Dan's system.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I hope he sticks with football. He could be a beast in Dan's system.

He will. Redshirting is difficult for someone who has always played. He just misses basketball.

cheewgumm
11-20-2014, 11:02 PM
He didn't say he didn't want to play football. He should have added "too".

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 11:04 PM

Well, 2 spots just opened up for Brandon Harris, haha. Staley is never going to be our starting QB.

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Well, 2 spots just opened up for Brandon Harris, haha. Staley is never going to be our starting QB.

it will all depend... If he is afraid of competition he wont bc fitz will push him from the get go... if he don't mind competition he has the talent to be absolutely GREAT!

GTHOM

why do you think that

preachermatt83
To me Fitz is similar to Tebow, Staley similar to Cam..

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 11:11 PM
why do you think that

Just don't think his heart is into it. You have to make enormous sacrifices to be a starting QB in the SEC. Hopefully, he proves me wrong. But you guys have to learn that I am rarely wrong. Engie learned this lesson last basketball season.

msstate7
11-20-2014, 11:12 PM

We have a talented bench then. Did you win the sunshine pumper award?

Pollodawg
11-20-2014, 11:13 PM
People, Brandon Harris is not coming here. lol. It would be kinda funny and neat if he did, but he aint. And how in the blue blazes do you know Staley won't ever start for us? Where's Coach Camp?

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 11:17 PM
We have a talented bench then. Did you win the sunshine pumper award?

that's right! Pumping the shine since 1983

msstate7
11-20-2014, 11:18 PM
that's right! Pumping the shine since 1983

Unless it's basketball haha

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:23 PM

I agree ONLY because that's how life seems to work. Staley is a freak athlete and IMO has a much higher ceiling than Fitzgerald. But Fitzgerald getting to school early has benefitted him and he works hard, plus the basketball angle with Staley. Fitzgerald will end up starting and probably will end up being pretty good even though he doesn't have unbelievable film.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 11:25 PM
I agree ONLY because that's how life seems to work. Staley is a freak athlete and IMO has a much higher ceiling than Fitzgerald. But Fitzgerald getting to school early has benefitted him and he works hard, plus the basketball angle with Staley. Fitzgerald will end up starting and probably will end up being pretty good even though he doesn't have unbelievable film.

Have you seen Fitzgerald play?

I saw him in the Spring and he is a very good athlete. I was very very impressed. He could be really really good. Kid is huge, has a cannon, and is fast

GTHOM
11-20-2014, 11:27 PM
I was pretty impressed with fitz, and heard nothing but good things. Staley has the mold to be good, havent seen much of him. the competition will only make both of them better

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Have you seen Fitzgerald play?

I saw him in the Spring and he is a very good athlete. I was very very impressed. He could be really really good. Kid is huge, has a cannon, and is fast

I absolutely agree. I was referring to his high school film compared to Staley's.

starkvegasdawg
11-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm sure 15 will sit him down and set him straight.

hailmari
11-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Unless I'm missing something, all he said was that he wants to play basketball. He's an athlete. We shouldn't be surprised.

Hell, Nick Griffin wants to be a wrestler..

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Unless it's basketball haha

haha! you got that right!

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2014, 12:03 AM

Staley could be similar to Cam, but Fitz is nothing like Tebow. Fitzgerald is 6'5" 225. He's enormous. Fitzgerald is more similar to Ryan Tannehill, with a little better speed and size. Dude is a stud. If he wouldn't have played in an option offense in high school, I think there's a chance he would've been a high 4* National type recruit.

We got a steal here.

GTHOM
11-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Staley could be similar to Cam, but Fitz is nothing like Tebow. Fitzgerald is 6'5" 225. He's enormous. Fitzgerald is more similar to Ryan Tannehill, with a little better speed and size. Dude is a stud. If he wouldn't have played in an option offense in high school, I think there's a chance he would've been a high 4* National type recruit.

We got a steal here.

if hes faster than ryan tannehill right now he will be up for heisman too haha i was impressed with him but im not gonna go that far yet. he does have a cannon for an arm

msstate7
11-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Unless I'm missing something, all he said was that he wants to play basketball. He's an athlete. We shouldn't be surprised.

Hell, Nick Griffin wants to be a wrestler..

We all know what he meant***

It's really easy to know what these kids are really saying in these tweets***

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2014, 12:13 AM
if hes faster than ryan tannehill right now he will be up for heisman too haha i was impressed with him but im not gonna go that far yet. he does have a cannon for an arm

Well, I haven't timed both in the 40. Either way, him and Tannehill look similar and share some similar tools. The key will be if Fitz can read coverages, have touch, and accuracy.

mstatefan91
11-21-2014, 12:55 AM
He added

Not like I'm doing anything else

Someone needs to sit him down and tell him that twitter is not his diary.

Brahmabull
11-21-2014, 12:58 AM
I would compare staley to a better athlete but similar, long at motion as Byron Leftwich. Fitz simar to Randal Cunningham.

MSUDawg4Life
11-21-2014, 01:18 AM
He added

Someone needs to sit him down and tell him that twitter is not his diary.

And explain to him that we are still competing for a possible national championship in football. He could be needed at anytime. Our third-string QB played significant minutes in the Arkansas and Ole Miss games last year out of necessity. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that this year but he has to keep his head in the game. Now is not the time to lose focus just because you're not playing.

SDDawg
11-21-2014, 01:40 AM
It's immaturity and every kid progresses at a different rate. We knew that there were going to be some issues when he didn't finish his senior season in football last year. That said, I'm optimistic our staff and leaders will work with him and he'll figure it out. Staley is not a "go to" player this season and he had to know that coming in. If he feels that it should be different, he needs to be showing more leadership/impact on the practice field and in the meeting rooms to earn the opportunity. Clearly that hasn't happened yet.

No offense to him, but I don't think he's going to play much in basketball this year with the group that we have there either. Great athlete, but he's going to need to adjust his approach to start seeing more time on the field/court...

BrunswickDawg
11-21-2014, 07:32 AM
We got a steal here.
Shotgun gets it.
As I said all last fall - Fitz is the steal of that class. He is a helluva athlete. Don't let the lack of passing stats fool you. His arm passes the eye test. And his coaches and teammates talk about him the same way we talk about Dak. Kid is gonna play, and be damn good.

Political Hack
11-21-2014, 08:54 AM
there's a whole lot of practice snaps between now and when one of these two take their first snap as a starter. nothing has been decided. everything else is speculation.

let's assume Staley was told that there's no way Dak is going pro after the Bama game, which means he's got one more year in a crowded QB room. That could be frustrating for an 18-19 year old kid. It's natural. Lots worse has been said on twitter.

hells bells
11-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Staley is a pure competitive athlete. He wants to play, it is a statement "simple as that".

blacklistedbully
11-21-2014, 10:27 AM
there's a whole lot of practice snaps between now and when one of these two take their first snap as a starter. nothing has been decided. everything else is speculation.

let's assume Staley was told that there's no way Dak is going pro after the Bama game, which means he's got one more year in a crowded QB room. That could be frustrating for an 18-19 year old kid. It's natural. Lots worse has been said on twitter.

Great point! And who hasn't said something foolish we regretted saying later. The diff is, twitter wasn't around when most of us were saying stupid stuff, and a lot of these young athletes don't fully grasp just how much exposure they can & do get via it.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Color me shocked if Fitz isn't our #2 next year and our starter in 16. Staley needs to quit running his mouth on twitter and start following Dak's lead on becoming a leader. I like Staley, but SEC QB is serious work. And he has way too much twitter time on his hands to be focusing on being a football star. He just doesn't seem to get it. Hope that changes, but Fitz is apparently Dak's shadow, and that says a lot about his goals within our program.

Nothing will be handed to you at MSU, that's for sure.

chainedup_Dawg
11-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Not to mention, the kid hasn't played in nearly two seasons due to the issue with his high school coach. So you know he's gotta be dying to get PT.

msstate7
11-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Color me shocked if Fitz isn't our #2 next year and our starter in 16. Staley needs to quit running his mouth on twitter and start following Dak's lead on becoming a leader. I like Staley, but SEC QB is serious work. And he has way too much twitter time on his hands to be focusing on being a football star. He just doesn't seem to get it. Hope that changes, but Fitz is apparently Dak's shadow, and that says a lot about his goals within our program.

Not saying you're wrong, but isn't/wasn't jrob notorious for tweeting crazy stuff too? He's worked out fine

(I could be completely wrong on jrob. Seems I remember many people trying to decifer his tweets.)

CadaverDawg
11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Not saying you're wrong, but isn't/wasn't jrob notorious for tweeting crazy stuff too? He's worked out fine

(I could be completely wrong on jrob. Seems I remember many people trying to decifer his tweets.)

Robinson isn't a QB. And I'm not deciphering WHAT he says...just the lack of maturity he shows on twitter in General. He just needs to grow up. Hopefully he will bc he's talented.

But again, my buddy close to the football team says that Fitz is modeling himself after Dak and is on a mission to be our QB. That says a lot to me.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2014, 10:56 AM

You get it Cadaver. Colin Cowherd talked about this the other day. He said that celebrity QBs don't pan out and blue collar grinders do. The whole conversation came up when they were discussing RG3 and how Steve Young said that coaches are saying that RG3, "Doesn't put in the time."

The conversation continued with Cowherd talking about how every top NFL QB, with the exception of Peyton Manning, came into the league with a chip on their should and something to prove. Manning is just from a different planet.

Brady - 7th round pick
Brees - Too short, Purdue
Wilson - Too short, 3rd rounder
Rogers - Dropped to the bottom of the 1st round and was left humiliated in the green room
Rivers - NC State and awkward throwing motion
Romo - Eastern Illinois

It is what it is, give me the leader that puts in the time, lives football, and shows up everyday with a chip on his shoulder, over the slightly more talented guy that isn't fully committed.

This isn't to say that Staley can't become that guy, but this is what it's going to take. Hell, that's how Dak did it. He was an under appreciated QB that people thought was a full-back. I bet it drives him every day.

msstate7
11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Robinson isn't a QB. And I'm not deciphering WHAT he says...just the lack of maturity he shows on twitter in General. He just needs to grow up. Hopefully he will bc he's talented.

But again, my buddy close to the football team says that Fitz is modeling himself after Dak and is on a mission to be our QB. That says a lot to me.

I love fitz. I think he's the heir apparent too. Just not ready to quit on staley bc of dumb tweets. He may be completely different in practice and how he approaches football.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2014, 11:03 AM
I love fitz. I think he's the heir apparent too. Just not ready to quit on staley bc of dumb tweets. He may be completely different in practice and how he approaches football.

Not counting him out at all. Just saying that if things continue as is, I will be surprised if Fitz doesn't beat him out. Staley can still get it done, but I'm waiting to see signs of maturity, and haven't yet. Hopefully they both get it and push each other into Heisman candidates.

War Machine Dawg
11-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Not counting him out at all. Just saying that if things continue as is, I will be surprised if Fitz doesn't beat him out. Staley can still get it done, but I'm waiting to see signs of maturity, and haven't yet. Hopefully they both get it and push each other into Heisman candidates.

He's 18. How mature were you at 18? We're living in the age of social media, and these kids do moreso than us. They don't think anything about putting stuff out there. Shit, Staley was 8-9 when Facebook was first rolled out to colleges in 2005. These kids have essentially lived their whole lives with access to this kind of stuff. They just don't see it the same way as we do. For them, they truly do see it as just an extension of their lives. We can debate whether that's right or wrong, good or bad, but that's not a discussion to have here.

Hell, social media has changed dramatically just in the ~10 years since I was at State. You can't read too much into this stuff. Staley certainly has all the tools to be special. If you're trying to decide if he'll make an impact based off his Twitter, you're wasting your time. Trying to judge kids with "I want to be famous" syndrome with an experienced adult brain is just going to drive you nuts and piss you off. Breathe. Let it go. These things have a way of working themselves out on their own.

preachermatt83
11-21-2014, 12:27 PM
there is a reason he was kicked off of his HS team. he has a TON of maturing to do.

Where'sWaldo
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Staley's release seems to need a LOT of work. I've watched him during pre game at most every home game and he makes Byron Leftwich look like quick draw mcgraw.

gravedigger
11-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Hopefully, he proves me wrong. But you guys have to learn that I am rarely wrong. Engie learned this lesson last basketball season.

I dont know whether you are rarely wrong or not, but from that statement you dont seem like someone whod have the integrity to admit it.

defiantdog
11-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Why is everyone bashing a kid for stating that he wants to play basketball? Hell, most of you were bashing Wilson last year because he didn't state anything. Chill out. Some of you write people off so quick..... damn.

Westdawg
11-21-2014, 03:07 PM
now, for a moment, just think of what this offense COULD become if we were to have two identical QBs that we could have platoon and just maul a defensive unit. sometimes, i think that Mullen is preparing for long term with the playoffs, and everyone else is just a little behind in thinking. and my mouth is drooling at the thought that both Fitz and Staley work out and share the load some on the field. it is a nightmare. you no longer can hope to wear one down when you have both busting QB power.

Political Hack
11-21-2014, 03:42 PM
just for the record, I want to play basketball too. bash away...

CadaverDawg
11-21-2014, 03:51 PM
He's 18. How mature were you at 18? We're living in the age of social media, and these kids do moreso than us. They don't think anything about putting stuff out there. Shit, Staley was 8-9 when Facebook was first rolled out to colleges in 2005. These kids have essentially lived their whole lives with access to this kind of stuff. They just don't see it the same way as we do. For them, they truly do see it as just an extension of their lives. We can debate whether that's right or wrong, good or bad, but that's not a discussion to have here.

Hell, social media has changed dramatically just in the ~10 years since I was at State. You can't read too much into this stuff. Staley certainly has all the tools to be special. If you're trying to decide if he'll make an impact based off his Twitter, you're wasting your time. Trying to judge kids with "I want to be famous" syndrome with an experienced adult brain is just going to drive you nuts and piss you off. Breathe. Let it go. These things have a way of working themselves out on their own.

What the **** are you talking about? Your overblown exaggerated version of what you "think" I meant, is nowhere close to accurate. Thanks for your all knowing wisdom though. And I didn't even have to click a link!**

Nobody is judging shit off of social media. Get a clue, state your opinion, and move on. Don't misconstrue my words and say "breathe" and shit, as if I was ranting. Good grief dude.

My opinion is based on what I know about Fitz just as much as it is Eli's lack of maturity.

FlabLoser
11-21-2014, 04:24 PM
You folks are too sensitive. Ironic you are bashing a teenager for being too sensitive.

Staley's generation grew up wearing their emotions on social media. Deal with it. There will be a lot more of this in classes to come.

He wants to play basketball. We knew this. Big deal. He'll play some. What's the story? Nothing in there says he isn't committed to football.

msualohadog
11-21-2014, 04:30 PM
My son played football with Nick Fitzgerald since they were eight years old, was his left tackle in HS. Said this before. If you want a preview of Nick Fitzgerald's skill set, watch Patrick Towles during the game he played against us. Eerily similar - size, talent, mannerisms, emotions, etc.... I've watched Nick play A LOT of football. Great kid, I hope he does well.

preachermatt83
11-21-2014, 08:45 PM
My son played football with Nick Fitzgerald since they were eight years old, was his left tackle in HS. Said this before. If you want a preview of Nick Fitzgerald's skill set, watch Patrick Towles during the game he played against us. Eerily similar - size, talent, mannerisms, emotions, etc.... I've watched Nick play A LOT of football. Great kid, I hope he does well.

cool. glad to have some insight from someone who really knows.. Welcome to the board.