It_Could_Happen
11-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Decommitted tonight? What gives

Big4Dawg
11-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Wtf? Per Twitter. He refused to accept a grayshirt

msstate7
11-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Gray shirt? Guy has an offer sheet a mile long. Why would be accept a gray shirt?

Coach34
11-20-2014, 09:37 PM
We only have so much room and Dakota is staying

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Decommitted tonight? What gives

It never made sense to take 2 QB's.

msstate7
11-20-2014, 09:39 PM
We only have so much room and Dakota is staying

Tiano over Virgil? I trust our staff, but the offer sheets aren't close comparing them

Coach34
11-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Bammer made sure Dakota was returning- so we had to drop 1 QB on this class

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Tiano over Virgil? I trust our staff, but the offer sheets aren't close comparing them

Yeah, Tiano was a camp offer type guy. I actually knew that one QB was going to be offered a grayshirt, but I thought/assumed it was Tiano.

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 09:43 PM

Apparently. As we all know, our staff trusts their own evaluations over offer sheets. I think Tiano reminds Dan a lot of Tebow.

With four QB's in two classes and Staley and Fitzgerald probably redshirting this year, someone was inevitably going to leave.

BeardoMSU
11-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Bammer made sure Dakota was returning- so we had to drop 1 QB on this class

So we drop our 4 star get out of Texas?

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2014, 09:45 PM
In Dan we trust,or at least I do.

msstate7
11-20-2014, 09:45 PM
I take this as concern over Virgil's size. Staley, fitz, and Tiano are all big dudes

Homedawg
11-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Tiano was number one on our board.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Look fellas, we go through this every year, and it sucks. But it's what we have to do to stay competitive in this conference.

We don't have the recruiting prowess of Alabama or LSU, therefore, we have to offer guys early and build those relationships, while Alabama and LSU offer guys late in the process after they've had time to evaluate everything to the final detail. Sometimes those early evaluations don't pan out like you thought they would and sometimes kids don't grow. It's unfortunate, but necessary if MSU is going to compete in the SEC. The truth is that our visibility and brand has made a massive jump this year and new recruiting doors may be opening up.

We look bad when we do this, but it's what we have to do, right or wrong.

The QuarterBack!!! retweeted
Blake Fisackerly ‏@M_Bulldog12 2m2 minutes ago
Why would you pull @ChasonVirgil5 scholarship?? @CoachDanMullen He's not a 4* for nothing!!!

Political Hack
11-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Tiano was number one on our board.

At QB.

Coach34
11-20-2014, 09:53 PM

170 pound QB's dont last long running the ball in the SEC

Homedawg
11-20-2014, 09:53 PM
At QB.

Right. Sorry if that needed clarification.

thf24
11-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Yep. Plus Dan's offense calls for a power running QB, not a speed runner. The playbook wouldn't have been Russell-limited with Virgil at the helm, but it still would have been limited.

AlSwearengen
11-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Aren't we also on a very highly rated dual threat qb (maybe from Texas) in the 2016 class? His father coached Brian Wilson in high school.

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Aren't we also on a very highly rated dual threat qb (maybe from Texas) in the 2016 class? His father coached Brian Wilson in high school.

I think we are going to start getting more and more highly rated QB's because of Dan's track record with Alex Smith, Tebow, and now Dak. We just needed Dak to "prove" that you can to MSU, play QB and star. Heck, Tyler didn't "fit" Dan's offense and he left with school passing records.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 10:19 PM

It might be tougher to recruit in Texas after this.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 10:23 PM
It might be tougher to recruit in Texas after this.

Doubt it. Texas is an enormous state where there are so many high schools, that things don't cross over like that often. It's not like Mississippi where every coach knows others.

Plus we offered the kid a Grayshirt, it's not like we totally didn't want him.

GTHOM
11-20-2014, 10:30 PM
people will explode over this for no reason. tiano is a better fit, we had to drop somebody, and why should anyone doubt mullen on a QB situation? i think he knows what he is doing with that position

Homedawg
11-20-2014, 10:37 PM
If people think he's the last one in this class for this to happen to, I've got some land for sale.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 10:41 PM
people will explode over this for no reason. tiano is a better fit, we had to drop somebody, and why should anyone doubt mullen on a QB situation? i think he knows what he is doing with that position

Kind of. Mullen has also signed Dylan Favre and Nick "skinny jeans" Schuessler.

msstate7
11-20-2014, 10:46 PM

Weren't both late signees?

engie
11-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Favre -- late take after missing on Cam, Brunetti, Broadway, and Mason
Schuessler -- late take after missing on Voytik, Jameis, Alford, Wallace, and Liggins
Tiano - early take -- Primary target in the class

Big difference

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Tiano is the better qb for the system we run and Dan knows it. I posted on here about 6 months ago that I didn't think Vigil would ever see the field at MSU. We are just too good at the position for YEARS to come. BUT we are running out of room in this class so let me give you two BIG reasons we had to do this...

1)LL
2)DP

Both will be bulldogs. Mark it down. #2 is all but a done deal.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Tiano is the better qb for the system we run and Dan knows it. I posted on here about 6 months ago that I didn't think Vigil would ever see the field at MSU. We are just too good at the position for YEARS to come. BUT we are running out of room in this class so let me give you two BIG reasons we had to do this...

1)LL
2)DP

Uh, really?

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Schuessler -- late take after missing on Voytik, Jameis, Alford, Wallace, and Liggins

Big difference

how can we disagree so much on everything else but agree so much on football

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Uh, really?

mark it down!

msstate7
11-20-2014, 10:58 PM
1)LL
2)DP

I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt both

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 11:06 PM

Big difference

Believe me, I remember, but don't sign a guy just to sign him.

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt both

mark....
it......
down........

codeDawg
11-20-2014, 11:13 PM
I've wondered about Virgil. He looks like a heck of an athlete that I would love to have on the team, but he would not make it at QB. Tiano is the prototype.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-20-2014, 11:25 PM

1)LL
2)DP

Hey I hope you're right on #2 but a lot is gonna have to change for that to happen.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Hey I hope you're right on #2 but a lot is gonna have to change for that to happen.

Don't burst our bubble Dan. We actually think your a good recruiter.

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:28 PM

1)LL
2)DP

I know I am going to kick myself, but who is DP?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Don't burst our bubble Dan. We actually think your a good recruiter.

Dan knows!!

GTHOM
11-20-2014, 11:30 PM
If we get DP he will probably play from day 1

msstate7
11-20-2014, 11:30 PM

Payne

Big4Dawg
11-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Derek Pegues

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Payne

Gotcha. I was thinking it was a Mississippi recruit for some reason.

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Derek Pegues

That's exactly what was going through my head.

Derek Pegues has been a done deal for awhile now. LOL.

Dallas_Dawg
11-20-2014, 11:34 PM

I'm wondering the same thing myself

engie
11-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Believe me, I remember, but don't sign a guy just to sign him.

We're having a major numbers crunch right now. We're obviously not signing anyone just to sign them. Long as Mullen gets his priorities, I won't complain about who we get.

But I do think the apparent handling of this is total, inexcusable bullshit. Should never go down how this has, if it is what it seems...

Let's also not forget that Sandberg has struggled his ass off in the minors so far. Another season like the last 1.5 and he could be back in the fold pretty quick as well...

msstate7
11-20-2014, 11:35 PM
We're having a major numbers crunch right now. We're obviously not signing anyone just to sign them. Long as Mullen gets his priorities, I won't bitch.

Let's not forget that Sandberg has struggled his ass off in the minors so far. Another season like the last 1.5 and he could be back in the fold as well...

How long is his contract?

hailmari
11-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I was pretty excited about Virgil. I saw a picture of him and Dak posted a while back and there wasn't a huge size difference. He would've been around 215 lbs by the time he played.

preachermatt83
11-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm wondering the same thing myself

Darrin payne

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:51 PM
How long is his contract?

All minor league players are under club control for six years. After that, they can become minor league free agents and can sign with whomever. Basically, it's a rule in place to help try to give those players that are blocked by a guy like Cal Ripken, Jr. a chance to make it.

If they make it up to MLB, then it gets complicated- but it's based on service time in MLB.

codeDawg
11-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Virgil was going to be an early enroller. That means we opened up a spot for somebody right now. Something is up.

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:53 PM
And another thing about Sandberg- he's not locked into a contract for six years. He can retire or leave at any point he wants to or the Phillies can release him at any time as well.

GTHOM
11-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Virgil was going to be an early enroller. That means we opened up a spot for somebody right now. Something is up.

LL?

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 11:58 PM

Not necessarily, we didn't want him to enroll in a few weeks, that's why we told him now. Would've done no good to wait until Feb if he's already on campus.

Todd4State
11-20-2014, 11:59 PM

I know the recruiting talking heads think it's for JUCO o-line and corner help, but I hope it's for a JUCO safety after watching Deontay Evans and Kivon Coman all year long. Either that or sign a JUCO corner and then maybe move Calhoun to safety to go along with Market next year.

I would be fine with an o-line of Senior, Desper, Clayborn, Malone, and either Warren or Cole Carter next year. You're talking about four guys that have starting experience in that group I just mentioned and they all have looked fine.

Noxdog
11-20-2014, 11:59 PM
I was pretty excited about Virgil. I saw a picture of him and Dak posted a while back and there wasn't a huge size difference. He would've been around 215 lbs by the time he played.

45 LBS? Not buying. 170 now.

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 12:00 AM
LL?

I'm 100% sure he has a spot no matter what.

engie
11-21-2014, 12:00 AM
All minor league players are under club control for six years. After that, they can become minor league free agents and can sign with whomever. Basically, it's a rule in place to help try to give those players that are blocked by a guy like Cal Ripken, Jr. a chance to make it.

If they make it up to MLB, then it gets complicated- but it's based on service time in MLB.

Add to this -- if players don't make the 40-man in 3 or 4 years(don't remember exactly), they are eligible for the rule 5 draft... meaning they are basically free agents to other teams willing to immediately add them to their 40-man... Same principle -- just quicker turnaround...

GTHOM
11-21-2014, 12:01 AM
I know the recruiting talking heads think it's for JUCO o-line and corner help, but I hope it's for a JUCO safety after watching Deontay Evans and Kivon Coman all year long. Either that or sign a JUCO corner and then maybe move Calhoun to safety to go along with Market next year.

I would be fine with an o-line of Senior, Desper, Clayborn, Malone, and either Warren or Cole Carter next year. You're talking about four guys that have starting experience in that group I just mentioned and they all have looked fine.

No jake thomas or kent flowers?

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 12:01 AM
45 LBS? Not buying. 170 now.

Maybe by the time he was a redshirt sophomore- that's three years and I could see that.

msstate7
11-21-2014, 12:02 AM

Maybe rankin...

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 12:03 AM
No jake thomas or kent flowers?

I was just listing guys that I think will start next year based on what we have seen this season so far and Warren has played more than those two. That doesn't mean that they won't win a spot next year- I think both will be solid o-linemen for us as the develop. I could have probably thrown Jocquell Johnson in there as well.

engie
11-21-2014, 12:04 AM
If we're just "making room" for players we were already expecting to be in the running for like Leo or (insert JUCO OT name here) -- it was piss-poor planning on the part of our coaching staff...

GTHOM
11-21-2014, 12:05 AM
I was just listing guys that I think will start next year based on what we have seen this season so far and Warren has played more than those two. That doesn't mean that they won't win a spot next year- I think both will be solid o-linemen for us as the develop. I could have probably thrown Jocquell Johnson in there as well.

i think they want rankin pretty bad too, ive heard nothing but good things about him, and campbell from yazoo city

Covercorner2
11-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Darrin payne

How are we supposed to believe you when you aren't even close to spelling the dudes name right?

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Maybe rankin...

Maybe, but I'm assuming that he probably has had a spot for awhile now. There's a good chance that this is a numbers thing.

We offered a grayshirt, so it's not like we totally dropped Virgil. He just didn't want to take the grayshirt (not that I blame him).

Like Coach said, we had to see if Dak was going to leave or not, and we had to also see if either Staley or Fitzgerald were going to transfer out or play basketball- and it appears as if both are happy at this point, so no reason to drop either one of them. I guess we'll just have to be OK with five QB's next year.

GTHOM
11-21-2014, 12:12 AM
theres no way i ever would have dropped a QB we currently have for a recruit

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 12:13 AM
If we're just "making room" for players we were already expecting to be in the running for like Leo or (insert JUCO OT name here) -- it was piss-poor planning on the part of our coaching staff...

I agree because I never understood why we would take two QB's in a class one year after taking two QB's that are both redshirting.

The reality is either Staley or Fitzgerald won't start for us- which is even more apparent since we are redshirting both. And no way we would allow either Tiano or Virgil to play and then have THREE QB's on the same eligibility clock. That's two wasted scholarships right off the bat.

Todd4State
11-21-2014, 12:16 AM
i think they want rankin pretty bad too, ive heard nothing but good things about him, and campbell from yazoo city

I'll defer to the coaches, but IMO we need a JUCO safety way worse than we need a JUCO OT. Maybe Rankin is a Randy Thomas caliber JUCO o-line recruit in their opinion, and in that case it's worth taking him. But we don't need another Jocquell Johnson where we get a JUCO guy and then redshirt him. And yes, I know Johnson had a shoulder injury.

preachermatt83
11-21-2014, 12:29 AM
How are we supposed to believe you when you aren't even close to spelling the dudes name right?

Got me. Good job. you are so smart. brilliant. Man everyone is so impressed that you noticed that I spelled the name incorrectly. Wow.. Someone award this guy the spelling bee championship belt. Everyone give him a hand. He is winning the internet with his unmatched wisdom. Take a bow my friend, you are the champion**

SDDawg
11-21-2014, 12:46 AM

Sounds like a good candidate for RB at OM.

Covercorner2
11-21-2014, 12:46 AM
The name of the title of the thread is even spelled wrong for god sakes. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying...

ETA: This is all Strickland's fault

Bothrops
11-21-2014, 12:55 AM
If we get DP he will probably play from day 1

This is correct.

Bothrops
11-21-2014, 01:00 AM
Virgil is small and would have to gain significant size and strength to play. There's no doubt that he would in our program.

This is a bit of a mystery to me.

Coach34
11-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Hev absolutely loves Rankin. That tells me he's a player because Hev never really likes anybody very much

EnterpriseDawg
11-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Virgil is small and would have to gain significant size and strength to play. There's no doubt that he would in our program.

This is a bit of a mystery to me.

Not sure why people always say this. You can be a smallish spread QB and be effective as long as you are elusive. Taino looks like a slightly faster Russell, not to mention a terrible throwing motion to boot. I know he will have the time to fix things up. The most disappointing thing to me is the way it was handled. 16 days till he graduates and then we tell him? Piss poor

msstate7
11-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Not sure why people always say this. You can be a smallish spread QB and be effective as long as you are elusive. Taino looks like a slightly faster Russell, not to mention a terrible throwing motion to boot. I know he will have the time to fix things up. The most disappointing thing to me is the way it was handled. 16 days till he graduates and then we tell him? Piss poor

I agree that we didn't treat Virgil fairly. Should've handled the situation differently. Wish him the best.

As far as Tiano... No offense, but I trust Dan and Brian Johnson's evaluation more than you or anyone else on this board. If Dan likes Tiano better, then Tiano is better or at least a better fit for us

thf24
11-21-2014, 08:34 AM
You can be a smallish spread QB and be effective as long as you are elusive.

Not in Mullen's offense. It doesn't just require a running QB, it requires a power-running QB. Take a look back at the typical results this year when Brandon Holloway runs inside the tackles... that's what Virgil would look like running the inside zone read, which is a staple of our offense. We'd have to close up a significant portion of the playbook with Virgil running the offense. Not as much as we had to with Russell, but he would still limit what Dan wants to do. Why the staff ever recruited him given those facts is a different question I can't speculate on the answer to.

defiantdog
11-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Feel bad for Virgil. The guy is a sick player too. I'm still not sure why we pulled his scholly 3 weeks from his graduation. TCU is about to get a stud of a QB. And we didn't do this because of Daron Payne..... He's Bama bound per mama.

Political Hack
11-21-2014, 08:46 AM

remember the last guy Dan had with a terrible throwing motion?

Jack Lambert
11-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Oh how Ole Miss of you.

GTHOM
11-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I think mullen has earned the benefit of anyones doubt at the QB position. he clearly knows what hes doing. hell he made chris relf a winning QB, a pretty damn good one in 2010, Russell didnt fit the offense and still broke passing records, now he has a heisman candidate. i hate the kid got dropped but its not like we did him like chris garrett at LSU. Also him playing QB and being a ''4 star'' has a lot to do with how it broke the internet last night

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Apparently our coaches still haven't spoken directly to Virgil.

I respect the ability to make difficult decisions, but I don't respect it when the people who make those decisions don't speak directly to the person involved.

CV5QBMOM ‏@CLadyjags 6m6 minutes ago
@CourtneyRCronin @ThaRealDill13. ESPECIALLY since they have not reached out to him personally.
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
More
Courtney Cronin ‏@CourtneyRCronin 2m2 minutes ago
News of Chason Virgil's greyshirt wasn't told directly from MSU RT @CLadyjags ESPECIALLY since they have not reached out to him personally.

codeDawg
11-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Not necessarily, we didn't want him to enroll in a few weeks, that's why we told him now. Would've done no good to wait until Feb if he's already on campus.

Well, right, but we're going to fill that spot with somebody. That's a use it or lose it spot, so some early enrollee is about to get in the boat.

Big4Dawg
11-21-2014, 10:20 AM
We have a lot of early enrollees. We have to many than we have left over spots, so some of them are counting toward our 25 in Feb.

Westdawg
11-21-2014, 10:31 AM
so, the question of the hour is two-fold:

a) Is Virgil actually gone. from what is being said, the coaches never have spoken to Virgil. This could be a case of someone really messing with MSU in order to backdoor us on a recruit. Sounds an awful lot like a Rebel invasion in order to have a QB for next year.

2) IF Virgil is indeed now off the board, WHO IS TAKING THAT PLACE? i think Leo and Payne already have a spot if they want it. If this is legit, then we have a mighty big fish coming into the boat and the whole story is being kept very very quiet.

EnterpriseDawg
11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
I agree that we didn't treat Virgil fairly. Should've handled the situation differently. Wish him the best.

As far as Tiano... No offense, but I trust Dan and Brian Johnson's evaluation more than you or anyone else on this board. If Dan likes Tiano better, then Tiano is better or at least a better fit for us

No offense taken. That's why he gets paid to coach and I just bitch about his decisions. From what I have heard is that he ran a laser time of 5.15 40 at Tennesse. Sounds just like Russell. Love Tyler to death for the things he did for this team, but after this year with Dak I don't want to go back to that offense.

Pollodawg
11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
No offense taken. That's why he gets paid to coach and I just bitch about his decisions. From what I have heard is that he ran a laser time of 5.15 40 at Tennesse. Sounds just like Russell. Love Tyler to death for the things he did for this team, but after this year with Dak I don't want to go back to that offense.

This. Please no more drop back passers.