PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - The Pappy Van Winkle Episode

SapperDawg
11-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Fellow whiskey lovers -

I was not able to score my own bottle of Pappy. I thought I had it worked out, bit I underestimated the crowd willing to wait all night for a bottle of whiskey. Our ABC store received 40 bottles in HSV, and the first 20 folks in line were able to buy it out. My connection was not able to squirrel me a bottle away due to the scrutiny this shipment received. In the mist of my dejection, I was having lunch at a local establishment and stopped on my way out to peruse the bar selection. Unbelievably, they had a Pappy 20, 15 and Old Rip Van Winkle 12 with a fair amount still in each bottle.

I had a one ounce pour of each - and must report that the Pappy 20 is everything it is cracked up to be, and worth the chase and money to have a taste if you have the opportunity to try it. Smooth, great nose, and complex - it was an easy drinker. The 20 and 12 were most comparable, with the 15 being the "hot shot" where you could really feel the burn.

I am on a plane to Vegas right now - West Cost variety - for meetings, and hope to find a bottle of Pappy 23 to complete the tasting.

Gentlemen, enjoy the Vandy game, I hate I am missing it.

Sapper

BeastMan
11-21-2014, 04:53 PM
That's some fine spirits you sampled. I'm jealous

Political Hack
11-25-2014, 02:03 PM
I have to taste it. gotta find a way.

FlabLoser
11-26-2014, 03:12 AM
People I know that have had it say there are several other things as good or better - like Four Roses Single Barrel.