PDA

View Full Version : Let's say we don't make CFP, but make the Orange Bowl/Fiesta

Jacksondevildog
11-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Would that be a let down to yall? I know it's a great bowl, but to be in this position and not finish and be placed against an ACC/Pac 12 team in a far away city would be a small letdown.

Coach34
11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Not to me. We are having our best season in school history. Enjoy the ride

Pollodawg
I think it would be a small letdown yes. But finishing a season 12-1 should never make a State fan cringe.

jumbo
If it's because we lose the egg bowl, then yes.

Pollodawg
11-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Coach beat me too it.

Statefan
11-20-2014, 11:38 AM
It would be a small let down (mostly for going 1-2 in our last two after so many wins) but wouldn't we get like a $20,000,000+ pay out for one of those bowls?

Not sure but that wouldn't surprise me if that was near what our total bowl payouts in our history have equaled

curmudgeon
11-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Yes, a small disappointment, but geez. If you would have guaranteed every one on this board a Fiesta or Orange Bowl type season in July, there's not a single one of us that would have taken our chances.

I think we end up playing Florida State or Oregon in Pasadena in the #3 vs. #2 game. Oregon or Alabama loses down the stretch.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 11:55 AM
We need to take a big picture view here. We have taken a step forward this year, and regardless of the outcome, we have set a new bar of what this program is capable of. At the beginning of this season, Hack and Beastman said this season could define our ceiling, and I guess now I would agree.

We now understand and believe our ceiling is the National Championship, and that is key to the future of our program. Alabama, Auburn, Oregon, and LSU have close calls, like we are having this year, all the time, but the difference is that they keep getting back and knocking on the door. Sometimes it opens and other times it doesn't

The key is setting the bar for where your program is capable of being, and MSU has done that this year. If we keep that perspective, then I think everyone can celebrate this team, regardless of the final outcome.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Would that be a let down to yall? I know it's a great bowl, but to be in this position and not finish and be placed against an ACC/Pac 12 team in a far away city would be a small letdown.

I'm really torn, but I would say it's more of a missed opportunity than a letdown. It hurts to say, but in all honesty when will we be in this position again?

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
No. We are playing with house money. That does not apply to the Egg Bowl. That is never played with house money.

DownwardDawg
11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
I admit that it would be a small letdown, but that's greed talking. I always wanted us to play in a BCS Bowl and it's right in front of us now.

Spider-Man
11-20-2014, 12:16 PM
NO. If we don't make the playoff I'm hoping for a Fiesta Bowl bid.

DLGDawg
11-20-2014, 12:23 PM
If the rebels were to man up and beat us in Oxford and we go 10-2....disappointed in the egg bowl loss obviously. Couple of days later, when the sting has worn off some and reflect on the season as a whole, I would not be disappointed. This year we have taken the proverbial NEXT STEP. Not hopefully, but WE DID.

If we kinda crap the bed against Vandy, then beat the rebels, but get left out at 11-1...then yeah, I would be broken hearted in a manner that me as a State fan has never felt before.
But even then, after that sting wore off, reflect on the season as a whole and feel really good about all the "firsts" of the season.

Dawgface
11-20-2014, 12:30 PM
I would be thrilled with Orange or Fiesta. If we make the playoffs, I will be estatic.

dickiedawg
11-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Peach/cotton are now on the same level as the orange/Fiesta, too. I'd probably be hoping for one of those if it's not sugar/rose.

The other thing to think about, and it socks, but if UM beats Ark and wins the egg bow, they'll be in line for a new years six game ahead of us. So if we fall to the Outback, something like that, it would be devastating.

oldwave
11-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Only a loss to the Bears will disappoint me. While I still hope for playoffs, the chips will fall where the 12 member panel drops them. This season has been by far the most fun of the 52 I have seen.

Dawgbite
11-20-2014, 12:53 PM
For a winter vacation, Miami or Scottsdale/Phoenix > New Orleans or Pasadena. At least that's what the wife is saying.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
I have relatives in Miami. It's not my cup of tea at all. If I want to go to a foriegn country I'd rather it not be the United States.

starkvegasdawg
11-20-2014, 01:13 PM
If we win out in the regular season then I am happy regardless of what bowl we go to or if we make the CFP. While I would love for us to play for a national title I won't be down in the dumps if we don't. 11-1 and a top 5 ranking will get us a killer bowl regardless.

gravedigger
11-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Yes, a small disappointment, but geez. If you would have guaranteed every one on this board a Fiesta or Orange Bowl type season in July, there's not a single one of us that would have taken our chances.

I'm FULLY aware I could be the only person that feels this way, but if someone had come to me preseason and told me, "I'll guarantee you a Fiesta or Orange bowl, but you have to give up any chance at a national championship", I'd have told them to pound sand.

If a person's reason for being a fan is just the notoriety of a great bowl game in trade for the chance of having it all, they're not a fan.

Saltydog
11-20-2014, 01:28 PM
are about as good as any of ours.............
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bowl-projections-week-12-edition-alabama-oregon-florida-state-baylor-214936435.html

starkvegasdawg
11-20-2014, 01:31 PM
are about as good as any of ours.............
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bowl-projections-week-12-edition-alabama-oregon-florida-state-baylor-214936435.html

That would basically be a home game for UCLA.

BulldogBear
11-20-2014, 01:36 PM
I wiill only be disappointed if we draw Marshall or Colorado State as an opponent for BCS bowl.

AlmostPositive
11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Our football success knocking all the English Premiere League shit off the main page is victory enough.

RC3
11-20-2014, 01:48 PM
i will be disappointed but the orange bowl would be a nice consolation prize for me. phish is playing miami at the same time

EAVdog
11-20-2014, 01:53 PM
This has been a phenomenal year regardless of how it ends. Granted I'm really hoping we cling to that #4 spot but if we don't we still get to play in a great bowl game against a tough opponent.

You can't deny that this year has been a real program elevating type year.