PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds is being brutally honest this morning

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 09:01 AM
I actually respect Bo for being brutally honest this morning, and believe, in many respects, he is tempering the expectations of MSU fans in regards to the playoffs; kinda of a expect the worst, hope for the best type thing.

I do have three questions though:

1. Everyone keeps saying they know what the committee is thinking and that "They don't want the best teams", but how do they really know? Are they in the room with them?

2. When discussing Ohio State's loss to Virginia Tech, why do people only talk about JT Barrett and the offense, and fail to bring up that Ohio State surrendered 35 points in that game, and that is Virginia Tech's highest point total this year?

3. Would Notre Dame be in the playoffs with MSU's schedule? Notre Dame isn't in a conference, and, if the answer is "Yes" to this question, then the committee is basically saying, "We are punishing MSU for being in a conference." Does that seem ridiculous?

Jack Lambert
11-20-2014, 09:08 AM
He keep changing the narrative. I guess it's because he listens to the ESPN guys who have been wrong every week and I guess that's why Bo has been wrong every week.

The bottom line is this. This is the first year of this stuff and no one out side that committee knows what they are thinking. When I hear Roll Bama Roll Edwards I say to myself he doesn't know. He is guessing just like everyone else hoping he is the one that gets it right.

Bama wins by atleast 14 Edwards.

engie
11-20-2014, 09:33 AM
The bottom line is -- the committee can and will make it up as they go. They do with the basketball and baseball tournaments every year. Every year, a different narrative -- different things of importance -- different teams ranked differently. No one knows what they are going to do -- and talking about it like they do is just them pushing their agenda. Fact -- it's a jumbled ass mess right now -- and if it doesn't self-correct, there will be a huge push for expansion of the playoff. It'll honestly be bullshit if anyone that finishes with one-loss gets left out. Slive isn't going to let them shit down our necks in this deal.

Fact is -- the "reason" people are propelling OSU ahead of us is "style points". They think they are the "better team" because they blow out everyone as bad as they possibly can and the 1's hardly ever leave the game. Basically, all anyone looking at OSU can think about is the destruction of Michigan St, who they never let up on. They don't consider our destruction of Auburn, LSU, etc because we let up on all of them. Mullen's "depth building" and failure to really run up scores has screwed us royally this year in this regard.

We need to win the last 2 by as much as we possibly can. It's all about style points now. The "best resume" will not get us in by itself. We've got to be the eyeball test "best team" of the group...

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 09:37 AM
The bottom line is -- the committee can and will make it up as they go. They do with the basketball and baseball tournaments every year. Every year, a different narrative -- different things of importance -- different teams ranked differently. No one knows what they are going to do -- and talking about it like they do is just them pushing their agenda. Fact -- it's a jumbled ass mess right now -- and if it doesn't self-correct, there will be a huge push for expansion of the playoff. It'll honestly be bullshit if anyone that finishes with one-loss gets left out. Slive isn't going to let them shit down our necks in this deal.

Fact is -- the "reason" people are propelling OSU ahead of us is "style points". They think they are the "better team" because they blow out everyone as bad as they possibly can and the 1's hardly ever leave the game. Basically, all anyone looking at OSU can think about is the destruction of Michigan St, who they never let up on. They don't consider our destruction of Auburn, LSU, etc because we let up on all of them. Mullen's "depth building" and failure to really run up scores has screwed us royally this year in this regard.

We need to win the last 2 by as much as we possibly can. It's all about style points now. The "best resume" will not get us in by itself. We've got to be the eyeball test "best team" of the group...

Good thoughts.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2014, 09:37 AM
What kills me is there isn't another team in the country that would play Bama as close at home. I don't think Bama would if they had to play themselves on the road.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2014, 09:56 AM
3. ....what if Ohio state and Miss State swapped schedules and had the same results?

Ohio state would be considered a lock for the playoffs.
MSU would not even be in the discussion. I imagine we would be ranked around 12-13.

mparkerfd20
11-20-2014, 09:57 AM
As bad as I hate to admit it, I actually agree with Bo. I think we are currently on the outside looking in unless one of the 3 ahead of us lose. In reality a strong case could be made that we should be ahead of Oregon or FSU if not both. If we can get to the 3 spot, I think we are a lock regardless of who wins what mid-level conference.

jumbo
11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm sick of the bullshit double standard of "well LSU, Auburn and A&M wins aren't as good as they looked earlier".

ok, then why does that only apply to us? Bama has played the exact same schedule, but nobody is discounting those wins for them.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 09:59 AM
As bad as I hate to admit it, I actually agree with Bo. I think we are currently on the outside looking in unless one of the 3 ahead of us lose. In reality a strong case could be made that we should be ahead of Oregon or FSU if not both. If we can get to the 3 spot, I think we are a lock regardless of who wins what mid-level conference.

I agree, but it's fairly obvious to see that MSU is being punished for being in the SEC, should things go down the way people expect

Coach34
11-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Win out and we are in- it's pretty simple

you aren't going to move Bama from #5 to #1 for beating Miss State- AT HOME- and then leave 11-1 State out. You think that much of their win over State? Then you think a whole lot about Miss State too

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2014, 10:06 AM
I don't know. We haven't seen how the conference champion thing is going to be factored in. Do we get in over a one loss conference champion?

thunderclap
11-20-2014, 10:11 AM
First, we need to stomp Vanderbilt. Second, if we win at Oxford, where Alabama took their only loss, we will not be left out.

Mjoelner34
11-20-2014, 10:13 AM
3. ....what if Ohio state and Miss State swapped schedules and had the same results?

MSU would not even be in the discussion. I imagine we would be ranked around 12-13.

Fact!

cheewgumm
11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Thunder - exactly and

Step 1 is "STOMP" Vandy, not " beat" Vandy.

Original48
11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
If our name was Auburn we would be ranked #3 and not concerned.

Coach34
11-20-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm not concerned- we just have to do our part and get to 11-1

chef dixon
11-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Bo just wants to roll with the opinions of the media and the out of state guys he brings on the his show so they keep respecting him.

dawgs
11-20-2014, 10:36 AM
I just get pissed about the whole "Ohio st is playing better than anyone in the country" narrative. That's completely false. They needed some of the worst officiating in history and OT to beat a mediocre (at best) penn st team less than a month ago. And they didn't exactly dominate Minnesota this past week. But that doesn't stop espn from saying it all day and night.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-20-2014, 10:51 AM

This...like I said the other day, it seems like we're getting punished more for our lack of success in years past and not getting enough credit for this year. If we're going off of past history, what has OSU done to prove that they're worthy in the playoffs? Hell, they've gotten their asses kicked every time they've played the SEC on a big stage. Since 2007, they are 2 -5 in bowl games, with one of the victories being vacated because of NCAA violations. They were destroyed in the BCS title game by florida and lsu in 2007 and 2008. Dating back to 1990, they have played the SEC 10 times and have only ONE WIN that was vacated by the NCAA violations....

GTHOM
11-20-2014, 10:54 AM
bo bounds is a complete idiot still have no idea why they let the guy keep talking. he comes off as kind of a douche to me sometimes anyway with all the ''yall lifestyle'' crap. about our playoff chances, if we win out, we are in. we have to curbstomp vandy though, cant end up like TCU.

SDDawg
11-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Bo is doing what Bo does. My favorite time of year to listen to him is the week after the Egg Bowl, that's going to be some good damned radio this year.

On the playoff, C34 has it right. We win out and we're in- I think that's a 90% chance. The 10% we can't account for is do other teams (e.g. Ohio State, Baylor, etc.) play incredibly strong down the stretch and make a case to jump us. Not a damned thing we can do about that and even the committed doesn't know how they'll handle it because it hasn't happened yet. They clearly punished FSU for almost losing a couple of games and looking weak, but they're obviously in if they don't blow it. I think we're in a similar spot right now, don't let the #4 fool you. That's a message that the top 2 SEC teams should make it this year and those top 2 teams are coming from the West unless all hell breaks looks in Atlanta.

Sacrifice
11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
It's not a given Bama is gonna win out. They still have the iron bowl, they should win but anything can happen in that game and there probably gonna play Georgia in the championship game. If the right Georgia team shows up they could win the game and I could see Wisconsin beating OSU also.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Just curious, do you guys think that Jeff Long and Scott Stricklin have spoken on the phone about this whole situation?

I'm not sure what Jeff Long is allowed to say and not allowed to say, but I wonder if Long and Stricklin's is close enough to allow this type of communication?

maroonmania
11-20-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm really tired of worrying about it. We just need to focus on winning these next 2 games because that is all we can control. We can't control who else loses to who or what some committee is going to decide in a back room. We lost sure control of our destiny last weekend, all we can do now is win out and give ourself the best resume possible from this point.

Dawgface
11-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm really tired of worrying about it. We just need to focus on winning these next 2 games because that is all we can control.

That certainly is what our team needs to be focused on. If they are thinking about rankings and where me might go, we could be in trouble.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm really tired of worrying about it. We just need to focus on winning these next 2 games because that is all we can control. We can't control who else loses to who or what some committee is going to decide in a back room. We lost sure control of our destiny last weekend, all we can do now is win out and give ourself the best resume possible from this point.

Your exactly right. It's just been hard to ignore.

maroonmania
11-20-2014, 12:45 PM
That certainly is what our team needs to be focused on. If they are thinking about rankings and where me might go, we could be in trouble.

Even for fans, its really a futile debate until after rivalry week and most of the data is in. If we lose the Egg Bowl its all a moot point anyway, but outside of that there are so many combinations of who could win or lose that where things are now doesn't mean much. I do believe that if we win out that should be enough regardless but nobody really knows what criteria this committee is going to put the most weight on.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2014, 02:02 PM
As bad as I hate to admit it, I actually agree with Bo. I think we are currently on the outside looking in unless one of the 3 ahead of us lose.

How are we on the outside looking in when we are currently IN. LOL

AlmostPositive
11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
"MSU doesn't have the playmakers."

It is a mistake to lend Bo Bounds any creedence.

rtdawg
11-20-2014, 03:23 PM
How are we on the outside looking in when we are currently IN. LOL

I was thinking the same thing....lol. We are in now so the "outside looking in" doesn't make any sense.

Dawgcentral
11-20-2014, 07:26 PM
"MSU doesn't have the playmakers."

It is a mistake to lend Bo Bounds any creedence.

^^^This

Y'all do understand that Bounds wants to generate calls, listeners, and advertising revenue right?

It's not about his opinion about where we will ultimately deserve to be in the standings. It's about expanding on any "supposed" controversy.

I'm with C-34 when he says "just win out". Doesn't concern me about the outcome of the OM/Arky game, even though I'd love to see OM get stomped. I want to beat Vandy by 3 TDs and beat OM at their place by any margin. These are the things we can control. The rest is all speculation, which at this point is a waste of my time and energy.