PDA

View Full Version : Baseball thoughts 11.19.14

MsStateBaseball
11-19-2014, 09:25 PM
I am willing to bet Preston Brown is Friday starter and Lucas Laster either Saturday or Sunday. 3# starter up in the air. Both these guys can SO hitters, don't walk anyone and induce tons of ground balls.

Look for Jesse McCord to really make major impact in 2015, possibly as closer. His brother played at Auburn. Jesse was ranked #200 overall recruit by PG in 2014. Really a great get by coaching staff.

msstate7
11-19-2014, 09:27 PM
So you think Ross will be 3rd weekend starter? I really hope we have enough starting pitching to use Ross out the pen

MsStateBaseball
11-19-2014, 09:30 PM
I have been saying for two years, use Ross on Friday night then on Sunday. He is good enough to pitch twice if its only a few pitches.

Our staff is real deep, very excited about the depth.

Todd4State
11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
I could definitely see Brown and Laster being 1 and 2. I think Fitts and certainly Ross will be in the mix as well. Dakota Hudson has had some back stiffness- he should be over that by January- and I think he will factor in as well.

The way it's looking right now, I'm expecting the pitching staff to be patchwork- but effective. By patchwork, I mean guys going 3-5 innings and then giving way to the bullpen.

MsStateBaseball
11-19-2014, 09:38 PM
I still like Daniel Brown as a starter but he had a bad outing last time. It could be the cold weather affecting him. He will either start or be a long reliever.

Homedawg
11-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Preston brown is a competent sec pitcher, but he's not a fri night guy. Not saying he won't start that night but hes a bad matchup against another ace.

trob115
11-19-2014, 10:14 PM
And y'all haven't even mentioned Paul Young. That's incredible we have this much pitching depth. I just hope we have a true ace emerge.

messageboardsuperhero
11-19-2014, 10:18 PM
And y'all haven't even mentioned Paul Young. That's incredible we have this much pitching depth. I just hope we have a true ace emerge.

IF Dakota Hudson and/or Austin Sexton were to do this, I'd bet a lot of money that we'll be hosting NCAA tourney baseball at DNF.

MsStateBaseball
11-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Paul Young will gradually pitch more as season goes then by June be in good shape. My hope anyway. Then in 2016 be a full time starter.

I would love for Dakota to emerge on Friday. He can go 4-6 then Ross. 90's to low 80's.

Todd4State
11-19-2014, 11:44 PM

Young won't be ready to start the season. I'm expecting him to come out of the bullpen or start midweek after SEC play starts. If he's healthy, he could be a "secret weapon" come postseason play.

Todd4State
11-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Preston brown is a competent sec pitcher, but he's not a fri night guy. Not saying he won't start that night but hes a bad matchup against another ace.

I'm more worried about his endurance than anything. I think he's a 3-5 inning guy- which doesn't exactly scream Friday night starter. The coaches love him though.

messageboardsuperhero
11-20-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm more worried about his endurance than anything. I think he's a 3-5 inning guy- which doesn't exactly scream Friday night starter. The coaches love him though.

To me, it's more about Brown's longevity throughout a full season and ability to bounce back between starts. He can go 7+ innings in a game- but can his body hold up doing that once a week for 15 straight weeks? I hope so, but that has yet to be determined.

He is good enough to start on the weekends for us though- there is no question about that, IMO.

engie
11-20-2014, 09:06 AM
It's time for Sexton and/or Hudson to emerge. I think Tatum is going to. I'm tired of waiting for these high-upside guys until their last year -- they have one good one for us -- and they are gone. One good one is certainly better than no good ones -- I just want some of these elite talent guys to put it together earlier in their careers so it seems like we actually had them for a minute....