PDA

View Full Version : Kickoff returns

gravedigger
11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Are jrob and shumpert on kr? If not why not? We were horrible at bama and havnt been all that effective all year. I just cringe when i see our returners "chop step" when they get to the point of attack.

Am i alone in this thinking?

Political Hack
11-19-2014, 08:48 PM
you're not alone.

msstate7
11-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't want jrob on kick returns. He's way too valuable.

Holloway and Johnson are a train wreck though. I know there are some better options. Perhaps graham would be a good option.

mic
11-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Graham & Myles would be my choices...

cbrunt29
11-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Myles needs to be our main return guy. That guy would do some damage

tcdog70
11-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Graham & Myles would be my choices...

You got it. Two great choices. I would also like Shump running wide open without the ***** footing we do now.

SDDawg
11-19-2014, 11:02 PM
I know this sounds silly given how good of a season we've had so far, but outside of a few blocked kicks we haven't done anything worth bragging about on special teams. Our kicker is finally reliable inside of 30 yards (that's expected at this level) but we have no playmaking ability on returns and are fundamentally unsound. It's going to cost us a game before it's over, you can argue it may have been a big part of the Bama game (Fred Ross was respectable). It's hard to imagine doing any worse than what we've done, we need a spark for those return units and fast.

War Machine Dawg
11-20-2014, 12:13 AM
I'd give a shot to Redmond and Ross or Graham. Myles would also be an interesting choice. J-Rob and Shump should in no way, shape, form, or fashion be returning KOs for us. Not only is J-Rob too valuable, but neither are natural return guys. It would be bulked up LaDarius Perkins all over aGAIN. Plus, other than the UTM game, Shump hasn't shown he can run away from anybody in conference play.

I said it all last season, and I'll say it aGAIN all of this coming offseason: Dan should be absolutely, non-negotiably forced to move Salach off the field and hire a TRUE ST coach. The whole idea that he gave STs to Knox was laughable and designed to a) fool the sheep fans who believe "staff changes" unquestioningly and b) get Knox more money. That's it. Mullen never gave up any involvement with STs. I know you don't want your AD mandating staff moves to your HC, but this absolutely must happen for us to take the next step.

War Machine Dawg
11-20-2014, 12:15 AM
I know this sounds silly given how good of a season we've had so far, but outside of a few blocked kicks we haven't done anything worth bragging about on special teams. Our kicker is finally reliable inside of 30 yards (that's expected at this level) but we have no playmaking ability on returns and are fundamentally unsound. It's going to cost us a game before it's over, you can argue it may have been a big part of the Bama game (Fred Ross was respectable). It's hard to imagine doing any worse than what we've done, we need a spark for those return units and fast.

Shhhh.....you'll have C34 and others here defending the shit show that is our STs. I've been saying this for years and been told "it's just our kicker that sucks." Other than punting and punt coverage, we're very average or flat bad in every other part of STs. And as we saw last Saturday, our punting now sucks with the total head case of Devon Bell as our P.

Pollodawg
11-20-2014, 12:17 AM
I don't know why we don't give Myles a shot.

Saltydog
11-20-2014, 09:50 AM
much burst.

Covercorner2
11-20-2014, 09:57 AM
As I think has been discussed on here before, the idea of having Johnson and Holloway back there is that Johnson (our best WR blocker) can lead block for Holloway (our most elusive player). Unfortunately, I think teams have started noticing this and have began kicking to Johnson. I guess the reason we still continue to do this is that we believe Johnson blocking for Holloway > smaller guy blocking for another smaller guy....

ETA:
Also, Johnson, for being a terrific blocker, has adequate speed (more so than, say, Wilson) and he is a very reliable, steady player. So even if it does get kicked to him, he's not gonna turn the ball over, do anything stupid, and at least get 15 yards. You put a guy that can only block out there and has never returned kicks and he will look like deer in headlights if the ball is kicked to him. If you put 2 small guys out there then you aren't gonna have anyone to lead block, plus you lose experience.