PDA

View Full Version : Why such emphasis on conference championship??

Bucky Dog
11-19-2014, 09:25 AM
It doesn't make sense at all to hear the bitching about us not being conference champs and we shouldn't be included and such. I get it that it's a way of the other conferences trying to say the port pitiful me thing, and they jealousy of the SEC. I have been thinking about that and I hope the committee sticks to what they have said when this process began and said their goal is to put the 4 best teams in the playoff. Period.

Say we win our next two games to finish 11-1 and Bama wins out but loses to Georgia in the SECCG. Do they drop them to 4th and kick us out? Does Bama fall out of the mix at 11-2? Does that put Georgia in at 11-2 as the SEC champs?? Do we stay in with a 11-1 record?

In the old BCS system there was a precedent set where teams made the championship without winning their conference technically, such as Bama and Oklahoma, so why now?

It must be held to the standard of the entire body of work, strength of schedule, strength of record, quality wins and losses. Put the 4 best teams in the playoff or you might as well just change it to the conference winners of the Big 5 plus 1-3 wildcard picks and have the playoff system set to where everyone knows what it takes.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2014, 10:17 AM
It doesn't make sense at all to hear the bitching about us not being conference champs and we shouldn't be included and such. I get it that it's a way of the other conferences trying to say the port pitiful me thing, and they jealousy of the SEC. I have been thinking about that and I hope the committee sticks to what they have said when this process began and said their goal is to put the 4 best teams in the playoff. Period.

Say we win our next two games to finish 11-1 and Bama wins out but loses to Georgia in the SECCG. Do they drop them to 4th and kick us out? Does Bama fall out of the mix at 11-2? Does that put Georgia in at 11-2 as the SEC champs?? Do we stay in with a 11-1 record?

In the old BCS system there was a precedent set where teams made the championship without winning their conference technically, such as Bama and Oklahoma, so why now?

It must be held to the standard of the entire body of work, strength of schedule, strength of record, quality wins and losses. Put the 4 best teams in the playoff or you might as well just change it to the conference winners of the Big 5 plus 1-3 wildcard picks and have the playoff system set to where everyone knows what it takes.

Agree....

I would also say that the committee hasn't shown that conference championships will matter yet. It's just the media creating that noise, and the media has no say or influence on this thing.

The whole reason that people want conference championships considered is so it hurts the SEC. The truth is that the Bama/LSU rematch game screwed this whole thing up, but that's not MSU's fault.

I wouldn't worry about it. Ohio State's resume is extremely flawed. We just need to worry about winning out. That will be hard enough

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2014, 10:41 AM
We may need to trumpet Co West championship in the media if this is the case. I would hate it because I love to make fun of UM. We need everyone to understand that we will have the same record as Bama in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
We may need to trumpet Co West championship in the media if this is the case. I would hate it because I love to make fun of UM. We need everyone to understand that we will have the same record as Bama in the SEC.

Agree, MSU needs to do what's in it own best interest and not worry about what others think of us.

Ole Miss claims the 2003 Western Division title, Alabama claims bogus National Championships, and Auburn claims bogus National Titles. I'm not sure who would make fun of us.

messageboardsuperhero
11-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Why do people from other conferences say that (as well as knock our OOC schedule)? Because that's all they have.

When the 5th or 6th best team in our own division (who we beat straight-up on their own field) defeats what very well could be the B1G champs on a neutral field, that should tell you all you need to know about how important conference championships are when determining the four best teams in America.

Our only loss was on the road by 5 points to the #1 team in the country, in a game that we out-gained them by 100 yards and moved the ball almost at will in the second half... If we win out, we are very deserving of a playoff spot, IMO.

Maroonthirteen
11-19-2014, 11:45 AM
That's a good question Bucky. It will be a real mess if UGA or mizzou win the SEC (presumely over Bama). I have no idea who the top 4 teams would be but I have a hunch Ohio state will slip in with that scenario. IMO, Sec champ would deserve a shot but so would we..... But again I think there will be a strong political push for OSU in that situation and assuming they win out.

I'm hoping for a lot of upsets over the next few weeks. Especially tcu, Baylor and Ohio state. If they drop a game, I'm ok with whatever happens in te SECCG.