PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather not win the SEC but make the playoff or play in the Atlanta?

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2014, 10:19 PM
One way you are playing for the SEC Championship or the other you have a sure chance at a National title. Do you run the risk of losing the SEC Championship game?

CadaverDawg
11-18-2014, 10:21 PM
SEC Championship. That way we know we can get in the playoff with a win. I like controlling our own destiny. Currently we don't control our destiny. The committee does.

TUSK
11-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Cadaver, I asked the same before...

choose one:

A) a bid to 4 team playoff for the NC?

OR

B) win the SECW?

it's a no brainer to me....

dawgs
11-18-2014, 10:31 PM
I'd rather make the playoff. Facing a 10-2 uga in atl is not a gimme W. If you told me we could be guaranteed a playoff spot or a sec CG spot without a guaranteed W in the sec CG, I'd take the playoff spot each and every time. Ask Bama if they are concerned about not playing in the 2011 sec CG when they discuss that natty.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Cadaver, I asked the same before...

choose one:

A) a bid to 4 team playoff for the NC?

OR

B) win the SECW?

it's a no brainer to me....

Well yea, if it's guaranteed that we get in the playoff without winning the SECC, I take that....but that is no guarantee.

Sacrifice
11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
If we don't win the SEC but win a NC...That'll be fine with me.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Well yea, if it's guaranteed that we get in the playoff without winning the SECC, I take that....but that is no guarantee.

This

We need to hope that someone loses and we get bumped up to 3. If we get to 3, then we are in.

Sacrifice
11-18-2014, 10:39 PM
The only team I'm worried about jumping us is Ohio St. If they win the big 10, they might jump us. There seems to be a lot of OSU love right now. I'm not worried about TCU or Baylor.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 10:43 PM
The only team I'm worried about jumping us is Ohio St. If they win the big 10, they might jump us. There seems to be a lot of OSU love right now. I'm not worried about TCU or Baylor.

There is a lot of OSU love by the media for ratings purposes, but the committee has shown no such bias. Call me crazy, but I wonder if the committee put TCU between MSU and Ohio State in order to send a message to Ohio State?

If Ohio State could jump MSU by simply beating poor teams, then why didn't they put Ohio State at 5th? Could have been a subliminal message by the committee.

LC Dawg
11-18-2014, 10:44 PM
It's a no-brainer to want to go to the playoffs without playing a 13th game. However, if we get to the playoffs and lose I sure would like to have an SEC championship game trophy to show off. It's been gnawing at me since '98.

Political Hack
had we went in undefeated it's a no brainer, now risking a 2nd loss is debatable.

that would likely mean having to play five top-15 teams in a six game span to win it all though. That's asking a lot.

Reason2succeed

OSU would likely be playing a Wisconsin team that LSU who is 3-4 in the SEC beat so I'm not sure how much love Ohio State is gonna get for that.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 10:49 PM
OSU would likely be playing a Wisconsin team that LSU who is 3-4 in the SEC beat so I'm not sure how much love Ohio State is gonna get for that.

Agree, would also help if Ole Miss is ahead of Wisconsin when we play them. There would simply be no reason for OSU to jump us unless the committee just wanted conference champions. Under those circumstances, they may as well just spell it out to people. However, they won't do that because they can't set a precedent that doesn't allow Notre Dame and BYU to get in the playoffs with a similar resume to ours.

The main question is this: If Notre Dame had our resume, would they be in the playoff?

If your answer is yes to that, then it seems highly unfair to punish MSU just because they are in a conference.

Sacrifice
11-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm thinking OSU is gonna be 5 within 2 weeks. If they beat Wisconsin soundly for the Championship, I'm gonna be a little worried.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm thinking OSU is gonna be 5 within 2 weeks. If they beat Wisconsin soundly for the Championship, I'm gonna be a little worried.

I think Arkansas wins out and sneaks into the top 25. I think LSU sneaks back in also after they beat aTm.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 11:08 PM
I think Arkansas wins out and sneaks into the top 25. I think LSU sneaks back in also after they beat aTm.

I think your right, but, after tonight, I'm not sure the committee is really considering "fringe top 25 wins" anymore. I think Ole Miss needs to be a bigger statement win for us than Wisconsin is for OSU

whosyourdawgy
11-18-2014, 11:10 PM
We don't need Arkansas to beat the Bears. We need the Bears to be in the top 10 when we play them. That is the only thing that will help us w the committee. Arkansas being 25th won't mean much. Ole miss beat Bama. We need to beat a top 10 Bear team period

dawgpound
11-19-2014, 10:30 AM
SEC championship game... If we win that then we are in either way and we can hang a banner for being SEC Champions finally