PDA

View Full Version : If I were Jeremy Foley, I would hire...

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Brett Bielema.

He's found a way to successfully implement his system at two schools. Can you imagine trying to stop that offense with Florida's talent?

This hire may not be sexy in the short term, but think it could lead to a few National Titles in the long run.

The hire would have so much substance.

Coach34
11-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Foley likely hires someone outside the SEC. I'm think a Big 12 HC

Lloyd Christmas
11-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Foley likely hires someone outside the SEC. I'm think a Big 12 HC

I agree - Gundy, Holgerson, Briles

quickstrike2
11-18-2014, 03:21 PM
I have a feeling Gundy will be strongly considered as well. I think they are looking for someone with some experience head coaching this time.

Bothrops
11-18-2014, 03:22 PM
What about John L. Smith?

TrapGame
11-18-2014, 03:23 PM
I agree - Gundy, Holgerson, Briles

Art Briles + Florida talent = HOLY FREAKIN' HELL!

TheRef
11-18-2014, 03:24 PM
I have a feeling Gundy will be strongly considered as well. I think they are looking for someone with some experience head coaching this time.

But he's a man....he's 40...errrr....47

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 03:24 PM
I'd go with Bielema because his system is fool proof with superior talent, which he should have little trouble attracting. The system also is less reliant on having a superior QB, which offers Florida a higher floor on offense, since QB recruiting is inconsistent for most.

Id take Bielema over Briles and Holgerson because, when you have superior talent, having a coach that excels in running the ball, offers a much higher floor. Passing offenses requires execution and good QB play, which isn't a lock for anyone, no matter your recruiting level.

Grundy, Briles, and Holgerson are all sexy hires, but Bielema has the highest chance for consistent success.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Don't expect it to be Briles. In his 58 years on this earth he's never left Texas for anything school or work related. He's also in the very same position as Dan where he's built his program up for nothing with his hand print on every single thing then add he's doing it all in his home state less than 4 hours where he grew up.

Jack Lambert
11-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Who's the TCU coach? Patterson?

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Yes, but he's got a cush job at TCU, and is a defensive coach. Foley said he wants an offensive coach.

I seen it dawg
11-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Don't you have the feeling though if you are Florida fan that when Gundy rolls to the podium you really don't have the warm and fuzzys....his hotness has passed.

defiantdog
11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Patterson isn't leaving TCU. Campus is amazing, plus he has a huge buyout.

To ad: Boone Pickens wants Gundy out of Okie State. I see Gundy's agent reaching out to Florida. I don't think he's a good fit there, but it seems the most likely hire.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2014, 03:51 PM
I'd go with Bielema because his system is fool proof with superior talent, which he should have little trouble attracting. The system also is less reliant on having a superior QB, which offers Florida a higher floor on offense, since QB recruiting is inconsistent for most.

Id take Bielema over Briles and Holgerson because, when you have superior talent, having a coach that excels in running the ball, offers a much higher floor. Passing offenses requires execution and good QB play, which isn't a lock for anyone, no matter your recruiting level.

Grundy, Briles, and Holgerson are all sexy hires, but Bielema has the highest chance for consistent success.

Bielema is a gray fit at Arkansas. Horrible for at UF.

Dallas_Dawg
11-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I think that Bob Stoops is the logical choice. I have been telling my OU buddies for couple years now that Bob needed a change of scenery. They said then "no way, Bob is our guy."
Now fast forward to this season. The natives are getting restless. at the baylor game, they said you could hear a pin drop. Big time donors leaving early.
He's not an offensive coach but he's a big enough name to restore excitement in Gator nation

1bigdawg
11-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Gundy is 5-5 with a good chance at going 5-7, possibly doing worse than Muschamp. Ok St may be ready for him to go and his agent is pushing, but Florida is not going to hire him. Repeat, he is 5-5 in the Big 12. His agent is talking to the media and they are spinning. I have no idea why any informed ED poster would repeat that BS. 5-5 in the Big 12.

TUSK
11-18-2014, 04:13 PM
I think that Bob Stoops is the logical choice. I have been telling my OU buddies for couple years now that Bob needed a change of scenery. They said then "no way, Bob is our guy."
Now fast forward to this season. The natives are getting restless. at the baylor game, they said you could hear a pin drop. Big time donors leaving early.
He's not an offensive coach but he's a big enough name to restore excitement in Gator nation

TUSK votes for ^this^.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 04:31 PM

Why?

Johnson85
11-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Why?

I think Florida's advantage is in having tons of skill and defensive players in their back yard. I'm sure they have tons of big offensive linemen too since just because of the size of their population, but it seems like the advantage in finding OL isn't as big. Arkansas's natural recruiting footprint seems to be in an area that is more likely, per capita, to produce the huge OL Beliema wants as well as the stable of backs to run behind them, whereas maybe it's not so easy to find the burners that made UF so dangerous when Spurrier and Mullen were there

basedog
11-18-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm guessing Florida fans wouldn't like "smash mouth" football, The Ole Ball coached style is what they want, entertainment!

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm guessing Florida fans wouldn't like "smash mouth" football, The Ole Ball coached style is what they want, entertainment!

So, it's more important to look good than win?

Saban and Miles have enjoyed winning this way for a long time with their superior talent.

Dawgcentral
11-18-2014, 05:05 PM
So, it's more important to look good than win?

Saban and Miles have enjoyed winning this way for a long time with their superior talent.

Didn't Foley say the fans wanted an offensive minded coach? I don't think he had "Grind it out" football in mind. Of course wins are what look good, but I get the sense Florida fans would prefer the Fun and Gun.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2014, 05:05 PM

Agree. He is the PERFECT fit at Arkansas. I doubt he's leaving. They are going to be hell to deal with next year and then beyond.

Coach34
11-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Fla is not about to hire a guy that lost his 1st 14 SEC games- I promise you that

Covercorner2
11-18-2014, 05:29 PM
UF isn't hiring a guy that runs a pro-style offense, either...

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Fla is not about to hire a guy that lost his 1st 14 SEC games- I promise you that

So they would rather hire a Big 12 coach that's having a bad season like Gundy?

its seems as though it's Chip Kelly or bust then.

Would you rather have Bielema or Freeze coaching your team? I think Bielema is twice the coach.

DancingRabbit
11-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Gundy is 5-5 with a good chance at going 5-7, possibly doing worse than Muschamp. Ok St may be ready for him to go and his agent is pushing, but Florida is not going to hire him. Repeat, he is 5-5 in the Big 12. His agent is talking to the media and they are spinning. I have no idea why any informed ED poster would repeat that BS. 5-5 in the Big 12.

He's won 9+ games five of the last six years, the other being 8 wins. He's an OK State alum, so he may prefer to stay there, but if T. Boone is riding him hard he might listen.

One losing season (as is likely this year) in 9 years at OK State isn't bad. Oklahoma, Texas and aTm get the cream of the crop out there and now TCU and Baylor are probably getting a few guys that would have gone to OK State.

That said, I'd go after Stoops first, then look at Gundy and Jim McElwain.

Fred Garvin
11-18-2014, 06:09 PM
What about David Cutcliffe???

Coach34
11-18-2014, 06:16 PM
So they would rather hire a Big 12 coach that's having a bad season like Gundy?

its seems as though it's Chip Kelly or bust then.

Would you rather have Bielema or Freeze coaching your team? I think Bielema is twice the coach.

Bielema is 1-13 as an SEC coach. He has no chance

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Bielema is 1-13 as an SEC coach. He has no chance

Your are likely correct, but that's short sighted IMO and truly a conducive process to finding the best coach.

Schultzy
11-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Art Briles + Florida talent = HOLY FREAKIN' HELL!

I agree, but am predicting Stoops from Oklahoma.

MabenMaroon
11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
What about David Cutcliffe???

I don't think they were terribly impressed with their new OC this year who was mentored and groomed by Coach Cutcliffe.

Ralph
11-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Prolly Gundy