PDA

View Full Version : Does MSU have a chance?

justwin
11-17-2014, 11:59 PM
at him being a Bulldog on Thursday?

That time has come for Javon Patterson. He is set to announce his decision this week...

We know it will be an SEC school for Javon Patterson, but which it will is what he will announce this week.
Thursday November 20 Patterson will commit to Auburn, Mississippi State, or Ole Miss. He is down to those three and he is ready to tell all if he is a Tiger, Bulldog, or Rebel.
"About a week ago I knew where I was going," said Patterson. "I will have three hats on the table, then pick one on at 10am CT November 20."
No coaching staff knows the good or bad news yet. The winning staff should know Wednesday, the day before the No. 7 offensive guard in the country tells all.
The 6-foot-3, 313 pound senior out of Petal (Miss.) has visited each of his finalists at least once this season for a game and he likes the same things about each.
"All [three] have the same type of atmosphere, each has the same type of program, and I feel comfortable at each as a student.
"I am just ready to commit. There is nothing special about November 20 -- I just feel ready."
The Scout 100 prospect is an Army All-American and the No. 85 overall prospect on Scout.
Patterson is planning to graduate in December, then enroll at the school of his choice in January.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2014, 12:02 AM

That time has come for Javon Patterson. He is set to announce his decision this week...

We know it will be an SEC school for Javon Patterson, but which it will is what he will announce this week.
Thursday November 20 Patterson will commit to Auburn, Mississippi State, or Ole Miss. He is down to those three and he is ready to tell all if he is a Tiger, Bulldog, or Rebel.
"About a week ago I knew where I was going," said Patterson. "I will have three hats on the table, then pick one on at 10am CT November 20."
No coaching staff knows the good or bad news yet. The winning staff should know Wednesday, the day before the No. 7 offensive guard in the country tells all.
The 6-foot-3, 313 pound senior out of Petal (Miss.) has visited each of his finalists at least once this season for a game and he likes the same things about each.
"All [three] have the same type of atmosphere, each has the same type of program, and I feel comfortable at each as a student.
"I am just ready to commit. There is nothing special about November 20 -- I just feel ready."
The Scout 100 prospect is an Army All-American and the No. 85 overall prospect on Scout.
Patterson is planning to graduate in December, then enroll at the school of his choice in January.

No, Rosebowl conceded him to the Rebs tonight. He's been going to OM games his whole life. Was just too much to overcome.

It just sucks to always lose out the same position. That being said though, we put up 430+ yards of offense on Alabama Saturday with 2 and 3 star linemen. For some reason, losing these O-line recruits don't effect us like you would think.

It's so strange IMO, that the Rebs out recruit us more on the offensive line than any other position on the field, but their O-line stinks and ours doesn't. It's odd

msstate7
11-18-2014, 12:07 AM
We lose this guy. I just hope we beat them for rankin

justwin
11-18-2014, 12:32 AM

that sucks.

got me thinking about our OL inventory

I see the four commits we have are relatively tall across the board:
Tommy Champion @ 6'5" probably a tackle
Darryl Williams @ 6'4"
Harrison Moon @ 6'5" tweener
Trey Derouen @ 6'3.5" guard or maybe center

Patterson is 6'2" so probably a guard all the way. Can he play center?

Rankin is 6'4" from Juco. Is he enrolling early? Seems too short be a tackle...what's his deal? Whose in contention besides MSU?

looking back to MSU's most recent class that included:
Jocquell Johnson 6'6" and redshirting. I'm thinking guard now that Senior's solidified RT? Maybe a LT battle next year with Cole Carter?
Jenkins 6'4"...guard?
Calhoun 6'3"...center candidate?
Cochran 6'5"....is he the next Clausell?

Todd4State
11-18-2014, 01:04 AM
I suspect that we will go after another high school o-linemen and I don't think it has much to do with Rankin at all one way or the other. I guarantee you it will be someone that no one is talking about that will be a two star guy but we'll develop them into an All-SEC guy.

Todd4State
11-18-2014, 01:10 AM
that sucks.

got me thinking about our OL inventory

I see the four commits we have are relatively tall across the board:
Tommy Champion @ 6'5" probably a tackle
Darryl Williams @ 6'4"
Harrison Moon @ 6'5" tweener
Trey Derouen @ 6'3.5" guard or maybe center

Patterson is 6'2" so probably a guard all the way. Can he play center?

Rankin is 6'4" from Juco. Is he enrolling early? Seems too short be a tackle...what's his deal? Whose in contention besides MSU?

looking back to MSU's most recent class that included:
Jocquell Johnson 6'6" and redshirting. I'm thinking guard now that Senior's solidified RT? Maybe a LT battle next year with Cole Carter?
Jenkins 6'4"...guard?
Calhoun 6'3"...center candidate?
Cochran 6'5"....is he the next Clausell?

Daryl Williams will be a C, Champion will be a LT (and a darn good one), Derouen be a G, and Moon will either be a G or a T.

Rankin will probably come down to MSU/Ole Miss.

Calhoun in a C, but he will be behind Clayborn next year.
Elgton Jenkins and Cochran will probably be Tackles.
I don't think Jocquell Johnson is 6'6", but he's either a RG and I bet he ends up replacing Malone.

I think we will probably move Senior to LT next year and then have Cole Carter and Rufus Warren compete for the RT spot. Damien Robinson might be back as well, but who knows how healthy he will be?

Todd4State
11-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Next year, I think this is what we will have on the o-line:

C- Clayborn; Calhoun
RG- Malone; Johnson
LG- Desper; Thomas/Flowers
LT- Senior; Jenkins
RT- Warren; Carter

If we get Rankin, he will compete for a tackle spot, probably RT if I had to guess.

NCDawg
11-18-2014, 02:09 AM

I thought Patterson had already committed to Ole Miss, anyway. Guess he wants to go the drama route with the caps for publicity purposes.

Todd4State
11-18-2014, 02:27 AM
I thought Patterson had already committed to Ole Miss, anyway. Guess he wants to go the drama route with the caps for publicity purposes.

Yes, as we all know the hats are a dead give away about what is going to happen. We just need to wish him well and move on.

chainedup_Dawg
11-18-2014, 09:25 AM

This told me everything I need to know

Coach34
11-18-2014, 09:58 AM
We have a better chance of signing Billy Brewer's grandson than Patterson

quickstrike2
11-18-2014, 10:19 AM
I really never thought we were in this one. Seemed pretty much like a bear the whole process. Figured he would have already been committed.

defiantdog
11-18-2014, 10:45 AM
No, Rosebowl conceded him to the Rebs tonight. He's been going to OM games his whole life. Was just too much to overcome.

It just sucks to always lose out the same position. That being said though, we put up 430+ yards of offense on Alabama Saturday with 2 and 3 star linemen. For some reason, losing these O-line recruits don't effect us like you would think.

It's so strange IMO, that the Rebs out recruit us more on the offensive line than any other position on the field, but their O-line stinks and ours doesn't. It's odd

The star system rarely works for OL's coming out of high school. You get a few that you know are gonna be great at the next level. But the majority of them need to be developed in the worst way..... plus a lot of them still haven't grown into their body yet. I'm not saying Patterson isn't gonna be a stud, but a lot of our 2 and 3 star guys have developed into 4 star guys. Hell, even Alabama have some 3 star guys playing OL.

jumbo
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
OL is probably the hardest position to evaluate/rate/project

DawgHouseUnited
11-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Isn't winning the press conference one of OM's top priorities?

justwin
11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
good stuff. thanks Todd

Daryl Williams will be a C, Champion will be a LT (and a darn good one), Derouen be a G, and Moon will either be a G or a T.

Rankin will probably come down to MSU/Ole Miss.

Calhoun in a C, but he will be behind Clayborn next year.
Elgton Jenkins and Cochran will probably be Tackles.
I don't think Jocquell Johnson is 6'6", but he's either a RG and I bet he ends up replacing Malone.

I think we will probably move Senior to LT next year and then have Cole Carter and Rufus Warren compete for the RT spot. Damien Robinson might be back as well, but who knows how healthy he will be?

justwin
11-18-2014, 12:39 PM
nice.

So, looks like we'll have a ton of sophomore & juniors next year. I think the only seniors will be Malone, Damien Robinson, & Warren so that bodes well for 2016 when Staley & Fitz take over.

Will Jake Thomas emerge next year? possibly compete for RT or is he a guard for sure?

For anyone, how has Cole Carter done this year? I see he's played some LT in backup time...he's huge @ 6'6".

I'm intrigued by Jenkins.

C- Clayborn; Calhoun
RG- Malone; Johnson
LT- Senior; Jenkins
RT- Warren; Carter

If we get Rankin, he will compete for a tackle spot, probably RT if I had to guess.

maroonmania
11-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Wish we could have gotten him but he is definitely an interior lineman from all I've heard which we seem to be in pretty good shape with on the roster. Would have hated it worse if he was a Tackle. Is Rankin an OT?

msstate7
11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Wish we could have gotten him but he is definitely an interior lineman from all I've heard which we seem to be in pretty good shape with on the roster. Would have hated it worse if he was a Tackle. Is Rankin an OT?
Pretty sure he is

msstate7
11-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Rankin needs to look at this situation. He can come in and block for a heisman candidate qb on an offense loaded or go to OM and break in a new qb

Ifyouonlyknew
11-18-2014, 02:09 PM

C- Clayborn; Calhoun
RG- Malone; Johnson
LT- Senior; Jenkins
RT- Warren; Carter

If the season started say in January I think Joq Johnson would be our starting RT.

gravedigger
11-18-2014, 02:32 PM
I think its stange how people see the proof they dont outrecruit us and turn right around and say they do.