PDA

View Full Version : I think we're better off with Arkansas beating Ole Miss

Quaoarsking
11-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Ole Miss will still be in the top 25 (although not high) at 8-4. But if Arkansas beats Ole Miss and Mizzou, they'll be a top 25 team too. That will give us 4 top 25 wins in the final Playoff Poll, along with Auburn and presumably the LSU/A&M winner.

That should give us more than Baylor, TCU, and Ohio State.

BulldogBear
11-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Been mulling this over as well.

On the one hand, Ole Miss will be top ten if they win, making the Egg Bowl "look" better, making for a better resume in theory.

On the other hand, If Arkansas does win out it will be very impressive and as noted above by QK, they could be top 25 at that point.

I might add though, that if Ole Miss beats Arkansas and Auburn beats Bama, then the winner of the Egg Bowl will go to ATL. Are we better off with Ole Miss out of it already or in it, making the game bigger and thereby a good quality win?

Bucky Dog
11-17-2014, 10:06 PM
On the other foot if OM loses and knows we have a chance for Atl and playoff then they will go all in to try and ruin our season.

But on the other foot if they win they we both have nearly as much to gain or lose

Realistically we want OM to lose therefore decreasing the crowd turnout, especially from their students, and opening more seats for Dogs. Go Hogs!!

AlmostPositive
11-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Ole Miss is going to lose in Fayettevillle whether it suits our ranking or not.

Homedawg
11-17-2014, 10:29 PM

Coming off an open date, I like the rebels straight up. I wouldnt lay any points though

msstate7
11-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Coming off an open date, I like the rebels straight up. I wouldnt lay any points though

Tunsil questionable and treadwell out = OM has some question marks on offense going against a very underrated defense

msstate7
11-17-2014, 11:24 PM
90% chance of rain as of now. If it rains, hogs roll

MSUDawg4Life
11-17-2014, 11:41 PM

This.

It's out of our hands.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Ole Miss may not get the ball but a few times in that game. It will be the LSU game all over again for them, but I think Arkansas' offense is actually better than LSU's

Todd4State
11-18-2014, 12:27 AM
As long as we win, I don't think it matters much where Ole Miss is ranked. If we win out, we're not going to drop from where we are.

So, that would make me tend to believe that Arkansas winning would benefit us more.

You have to consider the whole body of work, and if Arkansas finishes strong and beats Ole Miss and Mizzou, and finishes 6-6 or 7-5, that looks better because I think the committee would look at an 8-4 or 9-3 Ole Miss team about the same. Especially since it looks like Kentucky is going down in flames and will finish 5-7.

IMO, this is what would be our best case scenario:

USM- Losing season no matter what, they don't matter
UAB- We need them to beat USM and become bowl eligible at the very least and if they upset Marshall, it would help us out a lot.
South Alabama- If they upset South Carolina, it would be huge for us, but it's not likely. If they beat Navy it would help us because it makes them more likely to go to a bowl.
LSU- They and Texas A&M can't help us out much at this point other than what they have already done. One is going 7-5 and the other 8-4.
Texas A&M- See above.
Auburn- We need them to win out and go 9-3 with a win over Bama.
Kentucky- We need to them to upset Louisville on the road to get to 6-6 and give us another bowl team on our resume.
Arkansas- We need them to win out over Ole Miss and Mizzou.
UT-Martin- Can't help us.
Alabama- We need them to not lose to Western Carolina and to lose to Auburn, although if they do beat Auburn, it won't hurt us that much as far as the playoffs.
Vanderbilt- They can't help us much.
Ole Miss- Need them to lose to Arkansas to give make Arkansas a better win and then lose to us.

TUSK
11-18-2014, 12:41 AM
as a data cat that has done this "what if?" game a long time, my opinion is yall need OM to be as highly ranked as possible, especially at this time of the year...

assuming yall beat OM in the EB, if they lose to ARKIE, they won't likely finish in the top 25 having finished the season 1-4 and 0-4 in the conference... a fluke win over Bammer can only take a team so far.

Arkie would have to BOTH smoke OM and win @Mizzou to go 3-5 in the conference and finish 7-5 overall.

I'm down with wanting a rival to lose, but I'll root for Auburn or Tennessee if it helps Bammer.

Todd4State
11-18-2014, 01:01 AM
as a data cat that has done this "what if?" game a long time, my opinion is yall need OM to be as highly ranked as possible, especially at this time of the year...

assuming yall beat OM in the EB, if they lose to ARKIE, they won't likely finish in the top 25 having finished the season 1-4 and 0-4 in the conference... a fluke win over Bammer can only take a team so far.

Arkie would have to BOTH smoke OM and win @Mizzou to go 3-5 in the conference and finish 7-5 overall.

I'm down with wanting a rival to lose, but I'll root for Auburn or Tennessee if it helps Bammer.

Well, it depends on how much value the committee places on how a team finishes vs. how they look at the entire season. You may be right- but we just don't know. My guess based on how they have done things thus far is they are going to look at the entire body of work rather then emphasize how a team finishes. But at this point we don't know because we don't have anything to go off of.

I think football is a little bit different than basketball in that a team can be better or worse at different times of the same season. For example, I think Texas A&M and Auburn were better when we played them than they are now and they have regressed- but I don't think we should be penalized because for that.

I think Alabama is better now than they were when they played Ole Miss.

I don't think Arkansas will smoke anyone in the SEC, but I do think that they can beat Ole Miss, and believe it or not, I do think they can beat Mizzou.

I also think that the committee will look at the entire body of work rather than what a team just does against the top 25 or just the top 10. But we'll see what happens.

msstate7
11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
I think we need lsu to beat aTm. We beat lsu on the road. I think beating a ranked team on the road will carry more weight esp if Wisconsin wins the big 10

Dawgtini
11-18-2014, 08:58 AM
I don't think it matters either way. OMU will be higher ranked if they win. Ark and OMU will both be ranked if they lose. Win and we're in.

jumbo
11-18-2014, 09:08 AM
I want OM to lose always at everything they do. I don't see us making the playoff unless we get into and win the title game anyways.

Political Hack
11-18-2014, 09:17 AM
90% chance of rain as of now. If it rains, hogs roll

that's big.

GTHOM
11-18-2014, 11:58 AM
If we win out we will be in. I hope ole miss loses every game they play ever so im gonna be pulling for the hogs in the junction pre game. i hope they beat em down, an already beat up ole miss team even more beat up after getting ran on again helps us tremendously

DownwardDawg
11-18-2014, 12:05 PM

^^^This^^^^.

Jack Lambert
11-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Arkansas would be 6-6, would that get them into the top 25?

Jack Lambert
11-18-2014, 12:16 PM
If we win out we will be in. I hope ole miss loses every game they play ever so im gonna be pulling for the hogs in the junction pre game. i hope they beat em down, an already beat up ole miss team even more beat up after getting ran on again helps us tremendously

and have a few key injuries.

msstate7
11-18-2014, 12:17 PM
I think we need lsu to beat aTm. We beat lsu on the road. I think beating a ranked team on the road will carry more weight esp if Wisconsin wins the big 10

Arkansas would be 6-6, would that get them into the top 25?

7-5 and very possible

Jack Lambert
11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
7-5 and very possible

I was thinking they were 4 and 6.

whosyourdawgy
11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
With A&M, LSU, and Auburn all losing and falling in the polls, we need the Rebs in the top 10 for another quality win for the committee to ponder. It shouldn't matter really because if we win out, we should be in but beating number 8 Ole Miss would be hard to pass us up for

TrapGame
11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
This will be the most physical game OM has played thus far this season. If they win it will be by the skin of their teeth. Arkansas is going to pound them on both sides of the ball. A few more players may get hurt during this one.

BulldogBear
11-18-2014, 02:01 PM

I think so too. Just mulling over what I ought to wish for. Without a truly compelling argument for either case, I say we pull for Arkansas. We'll enjoy that a lot more. And then we can watch the circus because y'all do realize that to Bear nation, Arkansas has about as much chance of beating Ole Miss as Presbyterian.

defiantdog
11-18-2014, 02:09 PM
This isn't a good game for OM. They won't be able to score the ball that often since Arkansas will control the clock. And Arkansas will run the ball at least 40 times in the rain as well. I don't think OM's defense can handle being on the field that long this late in the season. Look for them to constantly have their hands on their hips. No matter what OM fans say, depth is going to be an issue in this game. Besides, Arkansas is dangerous now since they got the monkey off their back.

Dawgtini
11-18-2014, 02:30 PM
because y'all do realize that to Bear nation, Arkansas has about as much chance of beating Ole Miss as Presbyterian.

Exactly. And the feast of the bear tears will be glorious on thanksgiving weekend after we send them to 8-4. Making the playoffs will be in the hands of the committee (and Aubrun). We will have done all we can do, which is win out.

Political Hack
11-18-2014, 03:22 PM
we need a showdown in Oxford IMO. I want them as highly rated as possible with all eyes on the game between two top 10 teams. That single win to end the season will mean more than a close win over a POTENTIAL #24-25 ranked team and a #20-type team with 4 losses that absolutely imploded late in the year.

Also, the game could have major SEC implications depending on who wins that and the Iron Bowl. Those 4 teams will be the center of the media discussion headed into that last week, which will be good for us.

All that said, I fully expect Arky to roll them.