PDA

View Full Version : We must hire a ST coach this off season

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Mullen got skulldrug by Saban on Saturday because he had too much on his plate. Being responsible for Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams AND being the HC in charge of game management is TOO MUCH when facing an elite coach like Saban.

codeDawg
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Knox is special teams coordinator.

Todd4State
11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Knox is special teams coordinator.

Yes, but that's a title so that he can get more money because he does a good job with recruiting and coaching our running backs.

The truth is Dan coaches special teams too much- and he still has his little grad assistant doing the coaching like last year too. Making Knox the special teams coach was to please the fans being critical and to also pay him more as I said.

We need to move Sallach to the front office and hire either James Shibest or James Baxter who is actually currently available. Both coach TE's and ST's- so both would be a good fit. Shibest is my first choice because he is familiar with the south and the SEC having been on Nutt's staff at Arkansas and Ole Miss. Make Knox and Shibest co- ST coaches with Shibest doing the majority of the coaching.

Miss. Stake
11-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Sobiesk was 2/2 and Bell was a choke artist per usual. Make irrational statements all you want but that's not on Mullen sorry.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Sobiesk was 2/2 and Bell was a choke artist per usual. Make irrational statements all you want but that's not on Mullen sorry.

Our kick return game is though.

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 05:27 PM

We got abused in the field position battle. That's special teams. 1/3rd of the game and we are still at a bad CUSA level.

quickstrike2
11-17-2014, 05:32 PM
It was really disappointing watching our punter shank punt after punt. I guess it was nerves, cause both have the ability. You can sum the entire game with one play, almost blocking that punt, but instead he get it off for a field flipping punt. Our effort was there, the talent is there, but it just wasn't in the cards Saturday.

mic
11-17-2014, 05:34 PM
We got abused in the field position battle. That's special teams. 1/3rd of the game and we are still at a bad CUSA level.

So because the Bama punter had a great day that's Mullen's fault. .?
Yes Bell had a rough night punting.
Ross was very good in the return game..
Field position was for sure advantage Bama but no way that's on Mullen.

mic
11-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Mullen got skulldrug by Saban on Saturday because he had too much on his plate. Being responsible for Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams AND being the HC in charge of game management is TOO MUCH when facing an elite coach like Saban.

Skull drugged?
Mid way thru the 4th we are down by 6
Yes we played a very bad 1st half and it wasn't one of Mullen's better called games for sure.
But everyone makes it out like we lost by 21 and the game was never close..

RC3
11-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Painfully obvious. And it might have been the difference in the game Saturday. Could not flip the field and absolutely no threat to return a punt. It's been a glaring problem for a few years and should have been addressed prior to this season

CadaverDawg
11-17-2014, 08:05 PM
So because the Bama punter had a great day that's Mullen's fault. .?
Yes Bell had a rough night punting.
Ross was very good in the return game..
Field position was for sure advantage Bama but no way that's on Mullen.

How is that not on Mullen? He is the special teams coach and head coach. Look, I'm not saying "Fahr Mullins" or anything, but to act like none of that is on him is just simply False. He recruits these kids, and then he coaches the special teams units...yes, like the unit that has never had 2 competent return men back there at the same time. That is on Mullen, and that is part of our terrible starting field position. We can't even get to the damn 20 half the time. And how does every team in the country have a punter that can punt with a little pressure, yet we have TWO punters that shank every single punt in high pressure. Again, not saying Mullen sucks or anything, but to act like he doesn't play a part in poor special teams is ridiculous.

And to use Fred Ross as a bright spot doesn't help the Mullen argument one bit. We had to watch other punt returners muff punt after punt after punt after punt for 8 games before we FINALLY put Ross back there and he is doing a solid job. Mullen deserves no credit for taking 8 games to find a competent return man.

I know everyone wants to defend Mullen from bashers since it was only one loss....I'm cool with that....but Special Teams is hardly something that Dan should get a pass on.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Painfully obvious. And it might have been the difference in the game Saturday. Could not flip the field and absolutely no threat to return a punt. It's been a glaring problem for a few years and should have been addressed prior to this season

No threat to run a kickoff back either. Don't see the reason for Johnson being back there. One time Holloway hesitated before running it out and then got back to the 15, I think.

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Put Will Redmond back there on returns and we'll have a dangerous return man

mic
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;290542]How is that not on Mullen? He is the special teams coach and head coach. Look, I'm not saying "Fahr Mullins" or anything, but to act like none of that is on him is just simply False. He recruits these kids, and then he coaches the special teams units...yes, like the unit that has never had 2 competent return men back there at the same time. That is on Mullen, and that is part of our terrible starting field position. We can't even get to the damn 20 half the time. And how does every team in the country have a punter that can punt with a little pressure, yet we have TWO punters that shank every single punt in high pressure. Again, not saying Mullen sucks or anything, but to act like he doesn't play a part in poor special teams is ridiculous.

And to use Fred Ross as a bright spot doesn't help the Mullen argument one bit. We had to watch other punt returners muff punt after punt after punt after punt for 8 games before we FINALLY put Ross back there and he is doing a solid job. Mullen deserves no credit for taking 8 games to find a competent return man.

I know everyone wants to defend Mullen from bashers since it was only one loss....I'm cool with that....but Special Teams is hardly something that Dan should get a pass on.[/QUOTE

I'm not defending Mullen. But....
Bell has been solid for us all year punting.. He had a bad game.
Ross had the best game for us yet as punt returner this year IMO.
Our KOC has been solid all year and was ok sat night.
Sobiesk as much as we rip his ass is 8-9 in FG this year and 2-2 sat night.

The only thing I disagree with is rojo and holloway back there on KOR...
And again all I said it isn't CDM fault that Bama kept us backed up deep in our zone the whole first half..

Special teams has not cost us a game this year and it didn't cost us the game sat night.. We didn't fumble a punt or have one blocked or miss a FG.. Ect...
Bama's punter had a great game.. Period....