PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if Mullen hire Muschamp if Collins left for a HC job?

Jack Lambert
11-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Miss. Stake
11-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Ecstatic

jumbo
11-17-2014, 04:13 PM
I'd be ok with it. Muschamp is a good defensive coach. Some guys just aren't cut out to be head coaches.

Covercorner2
11-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Home run

SDDawg
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
It would be a rock solid hire, but I think if we paid Collins the way we'd have to pay Muschamp to take the job we can just keep our guy. I like the "juice" and would like to keep it going, it's making a difference.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2014, 04:19 PM
He said if Collins left for a HC job. I'd feel like somebody from somewhere ponied up a helluva lot of cash because I think it's going to take north of $1mil/yr to get Muschamp.

EnterpriseDawg
11-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I'd rather pay up to keep Collins, but if he does jet I hope we go after Muschamp. It would take good money to get him from other schools though.

FlabLoser
11-17-2014, 04:21 PM
You folks overestimate the head coaching value of a coordinator with 1 or 2 good years under his belt.

Todd4State
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
IF Collins left, yeah- I'd be fine with Muschamp as our DC.

I'd probably go- BOOM!

Todd4State
11-17-2014, 04:28 PM
He said if Collins left for a HC job. I'd feel like somebody from somewhere ponied up a helluva lot of cash because I think it's going to take north of $1mil/yr to get Muschamp.

At some point we need to start treating our football program like we do our baseball program. Both are nationally elite and have proven to have legit chances at the NC. You get what you pay for- if you pay 200K or whatever you get Chris Wilson. You pay 1 million you get Muschamp.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Don't disagree with you just saying it's going to take that type of commitment to land a Muschamp.

ETA: I'd gladly pay the $600-700k we are now if it keeps us with a Collins type DC.

LC Dawg
11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
I've thought about this but I think there would be a good chance that Muschamp has a job before we would find out that Collins is leaving.

codeDawg
11-17-2014, 04:33 PM
I would like to keep Collins, but I realize he will have opportunities. Hiring Muschamp in that position is as good a hire as anyone could make, but we won't get him with what we are willing to pay for that position. Muschamp will get a premium and MSU philosophically doesn't pay premiums.

Jack Lambert
11-17-2014, 04:35 PM
I would like to keep Collins, but I realize he will have opportunities. Hiring Muschamp in that position is as good a hire as anyone could make, but we won't get him with what we are willing to pay for that position. Muschamp will get a premium and MSU philosophically doesn't pay premiums.

The one thing that will help is the 6 million buy out. Florida I imagine will have to pay the difference from what we pay him to make up that 6 million. He just might see MSU as a way back into coaching and being at a good school.

SDDawg
11-17-2014, 05:45 PM

I know what he wrote, what I'm saying is if we pay Collins he won't leave for CUSA/Sun Belt coaching job so the hypothetical won't matter. He's better off here building experience in an emerging SEC program. But yes, Muschamp would be a great replacement for Collins if we had that opportunity.

Johnson85
11-17-2014, 06:07 PM
You folks overestimate the head coaching value of a coordinator with 1 or 2 good years under his belt.

I think he'll get opportunitites this year. It may just be my impression, but it seems like the quicker route to become head coach at a major conference school now is to be head coach at a smaller school rather than make the jump from Coordinator at a big program. So I'm not sure he really improves his options by staying at MSU several years. He'll get some offers this year and then next year, provided he performs, he'll get some better offers but still mostly of teh CUSA, Sunbelt variety. I'm not sure how likely it is he gets a major conference HC offer by sticking around 3 or 4 more years.

Goat Holder
11-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Muschump is 2 Natty Lites away from eating a bullet.

No thanks.

raymond21
11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
He will get close to $1mm for a DC job, thats why we don't get him

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2014, 06:38 PM
The one thing that will help is the 6 million buy out. Florida I imagine will have to pay the difference from what we pay him to make up that 6 million. He just might see MSU as a way back into coaching and being at a good school.

Muschamp is getting the full $6.3mil no discount when he gets another job. He'll be getting $2.1mil/yr for the next 3 years plus whatever he gets from his next gig.

ScoobaDawg
11-17-2014, 07:05 PM
He will get close to $1mm for a DC job, thats why we don't get him

I agree thats what it will cost. I disagree we cant afford that. Collins will be getting a big bump to stick around if we end up 11-1 and wherever that lands us (bowl game or playoffs).
Muschamp was at 900k at texas 4 years ago. I dont think he falls below that even though he just got canned as a HC. he is still a damn good defensive coach.

ScoobaDawg
11-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Muschump is 2 Natty Lites away from eating a bullet.

No thanks.

Once again..Goat being goat..freaking stupid. no way you pass on Muschamp.

Jack Lambert
11-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Muschamp is getting the full $6.3mil no discount when he gets another job. He'll be getting $2.1mil/yr for the next 3 years plus whatever he gets from his next gig.

I heard that on my way home from work. Dang alot of free money.

GTHOM
11-17-2014, 08:16 PM
that would be on a scale of 1 to 10 of badassness at least a 100

TrapGame
11-17-2014, 08:24 PM
I think Boom would make a really good DC, but I'd rather hire Orgeron. He'd be a good DC and even better recruiter.

rrog17
11-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Muschamp probably already has a DC job lined up at SC, Auburn or A&M.

War Machine Dawg
11-17-2014, 09:29 PM

It would be one hell of a hire. Couldn't do much better, truthfully. Guy may not be much of a HC, but he's a sho' nuff badass DC.

Bully13
11-17-2014, 10:22 PM

If we make it to the final 4, we may be able to pull something like that off. Muschamp is going to have a lot of high dollar DC $ to choose from at year's end. it would take a lot of cigar $ for MSU to land him for DC.

Pollodawg
11-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Would this be another Brewster scenario? A failed head coach turned coordinator who bolted at the first opportunity?