PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin Rankings Top Ten (ELO_SCORE)

TUSK
11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
1-Bammer
2-Oregon
3-Baylor
4-Miss State
5-FSU
6-Mississippi
7-Auburn
8-Georgia
9-TCU
10-Ohio State

the AU/UGA ranking has me a bit befuzzled, but I've not seen the algorithm...

I'd also be interested what (if any) outside metrics the committee members rely on to help them decide...

Johnson85
11-17-2014, 03:49 PM
the AU/UGA ranking has me a bit befuzzled, but I've not seen the algorithm...

Seems pretty straightforward if you're looking at performance over the season: Auburn has wins over KSU and UM and USCe (who beat UGA) and losses to MSU, Auburn, and UGA. UGA has wins over Auburn and CLemson and Mizzou, and??? and losses to Florida and USCe. The head to head obviously does and should mean a lot, but I don't think that's enough to override the fact that Auburn has better wins and not as bad of losses.

If you're looking only at who is better right now and not how people have performed over the season, it does seem that Auburn has either taken a step back or been figured out.

sleepy dawg
11-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Not sure if you care, but just to be clear the ELO_SCORE is not exactly what was used for the BCS. At that time he was using his ELO_CHESS rating system. ELO_SCORE is the same with the exception of an additional parameter which is obviously score. According to Jeff, this is more indicative of future performance, but I disagree. I think the old formula was more accurate since it purely focused on wins and schedule.

TUSK
11-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Not sure if you care, but just to be clear the ELO_SCORE is not exactly what was used for the BCS. At that time he was using his ELO_CHESS rating system. ELO_SCORE is the same with the exception of an additional parameter which is obviously score. According to Jeff, this is more indicative of future performance, but I disagree. I think the old formula was more accurate since it purely focused on wins and schedule.

all of that is correct.