PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd and Dave Bartoo back MSU in top 4

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Cowherd said we are the biggest team in college football, played poorly at Alabama, but still had a chance to win. Said we did what we needed to do at Bama.

Bartoo is a data driven analyst, and has MSU at #2 in his rankings and said he would be shocked if we were lower than 3 in the playoffs.

This is good for us that a respected "Eye test" guy in Cowherd and a respected "data driven" guy in Bartoo, both have us in the top 4.

Again, if we win out, we are in. We just need to worry about playing better and winning out.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Actually Cowherd doesn't have us in the top 4. He thinks we are one of the 4 best teams, but not in the top 4. Not sure how that works.

DLGDawg
11-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Wacky math indeed....ha.
You're one of the top 4 teams...just not in the top 4. WTH

Actually Cowherd doesn't have us in the top 4. He thinks we are one of the 4 best teams, but not in the top 4. Not sure how that works.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-17-2014, 12:40 PM

Cause everyone needs a trophy...we will get screwed because they want to include everyone and get rid of the SEC bias.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Cause everyone needs a trophy...we will get screwed because they want to include everyone and get rid of the SEC bias.

Problem is, it's actually reverse bias. They would be punishing MSU for being in the SEC. Any other team, from any other league, gets in the playoff with our resume. Is that even debatable?

GTHOM
11-17-2014, 12:48 PM
if we win out we will be in. having somebody lose would be great but the only team that would threaten us would be a conference champ ohio state

Statefan
11-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Hope they take into account that we have to play @lsu, @bama, and @um and we also did not lose to an unranked VTech team at home

Political Hack
11-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Ohio State would have to beat Wisconsin, and even then the SEC West has already dismissed Wisconsin. We win, and we're in. no way to deny the SEC two one-loss teams after the division has beat everyone else it's faced outside the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Both College Football Live guys put us in the Top 4, including Jason Seahorn, who hasn't been the biggest fan of us. I expect tomorrow night to be a formality of us being ranked 4th. Win out and we are in, unless we look like garbage against Vandy. Although, a win vs Ole Miss would likely cancel that out.

codeDawg
11-17-2014, 01:45 PM

Cowherd hates small market teams. If I had to guess his top 4:

1. FSU
2. Bama
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State

And you can just keep this list for every year in the future. You might want to swap USC and Notre Dame in there every now and then to keep it interesting and Texas can join the rotation in a couple of years.

AlmostPositive
11-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Ditto for the guys on College Football Daily. Ole Miss is the only thing between MSU and history. (No offense, Vandy.)

GTHOM
11-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Ditto for the guys on College Football Daily. Ole Miss is the only thing between MSU and history. (No offense, Vandy.)

I wouldnt have it any other way. Beat ole miss in oxford to go to the playoff. Good...very good

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-17-2014, 02:11 PM
I'm surprised Cowherd would put us in his top 4. He was railing us during the game.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Problem is, it's actually reverse bias. They would be punishing MSU for being in the SEC. Any other team, from any other league, gets in the playoff with our resume. Is that even debatable?

Oh I agree with what you're saying I just think we won't get the benefit of the doubt in the end, but I hope I'm wrong. One thing that did make me feel better was listening to SVP and his interview with Mike Tirico (sp?) about MNF tonight. SVP asked him about what teams he trusted and Mike basically said "not to go off topic, but if you look at MSU in that game with bama, there was a point where bama could have landed a knock out blow and won by 30 points. MSU made some adjustments, fought like hell, won the second half, and left with a 5 point loss to bama. That tells me MSU is legit and can play with anyone left in contention."

bluelightstar
11-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Remarkably, the CFBLive guys didn't even really debate State being the #4 team in their "Who's #4 segment". I'm telling you, if we win out, I think we get left out at 11-1. Assuming they all win out, it would absolutely be Alabama, FSU, Oregon, and Ohio State.

ETA: Brad Edwards has State at #4. Kannell at #6.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Brad Edwards just had us in the top 4 for this week, but thinks Ohio State and Baylor will have a chance to over take us in the last week because Ohio State will be in the Big 10 Championship game and Baylor will be playing K State

thunderclap
11-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Remarkably, the CFBLive guys didn't even really debate State being the #4 team in their "Who's #4 segment". I'm telling you, if we win out, I think we get left out at 11-1. Assuming they all win out, it would absolutely be Alabama, FSU, Oregon, and Ohio State.

Those guys are morons. They are farther off from week to week than anybody because they are trying too hard.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Brad Edwards just had us in the top 4 for this week, but thinks Ohio State and Baylor will have a chance to over take us in the last week because Ohio State will be in the Big 10 Championship game and Baylor will be playing K State

And OSU even being considered is a joke. They're one quality win is against Mich State who got blown out by the 2 decent teams they played. Plus, the other quality win they could end up with is wisconsin who lost to LSU...

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 03:48 PM
And OSU even being considered is a joke. They're one quality win is against Mich State who got blown out by the 2 decent teams they played. Plus, the other quality win they could end up with is wisconsin who lost to LSU...

And they only beat Minnesota by 7 points. MN hasn't beaten anyone with a pulse this year

Political Hack
11-17-2014, 03:50 PM

Care to wager?

LC Dawg
11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Oh I agree with what you're saying I just think we won't get the benefit of the doubt in the end, but I hope I'm wrong. One thing that did make me feel better was listening to SVP and his interview with Mike Tirico (sp?) about MNF tonight. SVP asked him about what teams he trusted and Mike basically said "not to go off topic, but if you look at MSU in that game with bama, there was a point where bama could have landed a knock out blow and won by 30 points. MSU made some adjustments, fought like hell, won the second half, and left with a 5 point loss to bama. That tells me MSU is legit and can play with anyone left in contention."

I enjoyed hearing him say that. It was totally unsolicited and Tirico has no agenda to push which makes his statements mean more to me than a lot of the college football talking heads.

Jack Lambert
11-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Those guys are morons. They are farther off from week to week than anybody because they are trying too hard.

Edwards had bama beating state by at lest 14.