PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't gonna mention this till Egg Bowl week...

BulldogBear
11-17-2014, 08:33 AM
...but since Bounds brought it up I will.

We better freakin' RTGDF against Ole Miss, especially if the Hogs run over them. If Arkansas runs rougshod all over them, we better see 70/30 run. I know we all wonder about it. We've seen it before. Mullen likes to run to set up the pass. I think that's great except I kind of tend to think, "Why pass when you don't need to?" How many times have seen us running the ball down someone's throat and then kill drives with cute plays or 3 incomplete passes in a row or for that matter 11 pass attempts in a row. I hope against hope that if we are running OLe Miss into the ground that we will not feel the need to "Show off" the passing game.

msstate7
11-17-2014, 08:38 AM
We'll run the ball.

Statefan
11-17-2014, 09:06 AM
We need to play like Relf is the QB

starkvegasdawg
11-17-2014, 09:13 AM
I had wondered if Mullen was calling more pass plays in an attempt to pad Dak's stats for the Heisman. Now that his Heisman chances have been drug out behind the house and shot execution style maybe he will go to a more power run heavy game plan the rest of the way out. Let him try for the Heisman again next year.

Jack Lambert
11-17-2014, 09:41 AM
I had wondered if Mullen was calling more pass plays in an attempt to pad Dak's stats for the Heisman. Now that his Heisman chances have been drug out behind the house and shot execution style maybe he will go to a more power run heavy game plan the rest of the way out. Let him try for the Heisman again next year.

I think he understood that Bama has better atheletes on their team and running on them was going to be tough.

DownwardDawg
11-17-2014, 09:46 AM
We need to play like Relf is the QB

This!!! Maybe not quite that run heavy, but close. The thing is, Dak is so accurate usually. If we go extremely run heavy against a team like ole miss, our receivers will be wide open when Dak does throw.

DownwardDawg
11-17-2014, 09:48 AM
I think he understood that Bama has better atheletes on their team and running on them was going to be tough.

I agree about the Bama game. I actually think we should have thrown a lot more short passes in the 1st half. I thought we were going to target Lewis and our tight ends multiple times early.
It needs to be the opposite against ole miss.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 09:51 AM
You have to be who you are on offense. It's that simple. We are a 60+% running team per game for the season

Saturday we threw 48 passes to only 38 runs. We lost the only game we threw more passes than called runs. Tells me alot

maroonmania
11-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Against Bama you have to throw a good bit or you will find yourself in a lot of 3rd and longs. Bama run D is just a different animal. In fact, I was OK with the run/pass call ratio in that game I just think more of the runs that we did call should have gone to JRob and less to Dak. JRob is able to get more when no hole is there than Dak can. JRob can leverage the pile and squirm away to get yards when yards aren't really there to get. I've said before that OM has scored more on Bama than any other team this year and they don't even have a running game to speak of. But now for Vandy and OM we should be able to establish the run in a much more consistent way.

BulldogBear
11-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Against Bama you have to throw a good bit or you will find yourself in a lot of 3rd and longs. Bama run D is just a different animal. In fact, I was OK with the run/pass call ratio in that game I just think more of the runs that we did call should have gone to JRob and less to Dak. JRob is able to get more when no hole is there than Dak can. JRob can leverage the pile and squirm away to get yards when yards aren't really there to get. I've said before that OM has scored more on Bama than any other team this year and they don't even have a running game to speak of. But now for Vandy and OM we should be able to establish the run in a much more consistent way.

Yes, you almost always see him twist and fall forward on his back or side for an additional 1.5 to 2 yards.

Jack Lambert
11-17-2014, 10:03 AM
You have to be who you are on offense. It's that simple. We are a 60+% running team per game for the season

Saturday we threw 48 passes to only 38 runs. We lost the only game we threw more passes than called runs. Tells me alot

Not disagreeing but three interceptions with two being just bad passes and one a tip with a few over thrown balls to open receivers did not happen the strategy would have worked. Better pay from the QB we win that game. Take back just two of any of those plays and we win.

drummerdawg
11-17-2014, 10:17 AM

yea but how many of those passes came on that last drive while we were in a hurry to get down the field and score? Besides that last drive I think it was pretty balanced with run/pass plays.

Percho
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM

And about a third of those runs were QB wildcat runs, which I basically hate. Dak should make more designed runs that look like pass plays, or run pass option plays.

Maroonthirteen
11-17-2014, 10:32 AM
What Lambert said. Winning the Egg Bowl will come down to Daks passing. Sure we will and should run the ball. But OM will stack the box. When we get in 3rd and long, it will come down to if Dak is hitting our guys or theirs between the numbers. We had some drive and momentum killing picks in both UA games.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
We stayed on long situations all day because of incomplete passes. You run to set up the pass. You have to have a run prescence to hold the LB's inside and keep them out of the passing lanes underneath.

Our gameplan was shit- Auburn ran for 300 yards vs Bama last year. You have to be who you are

dawgpound
11-17-2014, 10:42 AM
With Bama we had no choice but to start passing the ball. They were stuffing our run and if we wanted to get back in it we had to pass the ball which we did relatively well except for the picks but with ole miss, they wont be able to stop our run so we will continue to ram it down their throat.

GTHOM
11-17-2014, 11:33 AM
After seeing what auburn lsu and hoping what arkansas will do to them we should be able to run for 200 250 maybe more. I wanna see how they play without treadwell on offense too, their offense hasnt been anything special in SEC play anyway, but no treadwell makes it even harder for them. they will have to find someone else to throw bubble screens too

cheewgumm
11-17-2014, 11:50 AM
This X 10000

we better be running , running then running some more. Next 2 games.

No getting cute now.

GreenheadDawg
11-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Not disagreeing but three interceptions with two being just bad passes and one a tip with a few over thrown balls to open receivers did not happen the strategy would have worked. Better pay from the QB we win that game. Take back just two of any of those plays and we win.

I hate to say it but Dak is the biggest reason we lost that game. But he is also the biggest reason we are 9-1

I seen it dawg
11-17-2014, 12:31 PM
They weren't stuffing our run because we didn't run the damn ball. Slamming Dak into the line in empty set is not running the ball. JRob not getting touches was the killer. The whole game changes if he gets 12 touches in the first half.

fishwater99
11-17-2014, 12:58 PM
They weren't stuffing our run because we didn't run the damn ball. Slamming Dak into the line in empty set is not running the ball. JRob not getting touches was the killer. The whole game changes if he gets 12 touches in the first half.

I agree, Mullen did not have a good game-plan in the 1st half, but that safety changed the game. Bama got the mometum and kept it until halftime.
Bell's bad punting didn't help either.

SDDawg
11-17-2014, 01:08 PM
I agree on the run focus. We got behind early and stopped running which prevents JRob from getting into a rhythm. Yes, he's going to get pounded and on 10 carries may only net 2 yards a carry for 7 or 8 of those. Yes, you may even have a 3 and out because of it. But those carries then set up the play that he can break for 15+ yards. Then you keep them honest with play action passing mixed in (you have to complete a few) but keep going back to the running game. Then take a shot or two in the passing game once the run is established and they're forced to defend it. This is the formula for our team. We're not going to win championships throwing the football with this group, even though Dak has a great arm and we have some really good receivers. It's just now who we are as a team.

SDDawg
11-17-2014, 01:12 PM
I agree, Mullen did not have a good game-plan in the 1st half, but that safety changed the game. Bama got the mometum and kept it until halftime.
Bell's bad punting didn't help either.

We lost the game on three plays: 1) the safety- huge emotional letdown plus the field position impact from the free kick, 2) Bell's shanked punt, again kills you on field position and momentum, 3) Dak's pick in the end zone when he targeted Bear (2nd of the game). If those three plays don't happen, I think we win on Saturday. But they did and we didn't.

drunkernhelldawg
11-17-2014, 01:15 PM

I agree, but the plays seemed more complicated than they had to be. A lot of defense reading and checking off at the line seems to hurt more than it helps. Basically, I think a more straightforward approach would have given our players a better chance to succeed. I don't like the same plays that you don't like: The run call that got us the safey, the series that started on the one, the shot on first down in the third quarter, the fade passes in the endzone . . . I'd rather have Dak go through progressions and choose the open receiver on all of these plays. But you're right, we did have a chance to win. Those third down conversions on the Bama td drive were more than we could overcome. 4 or five chances to stop them and can't get it done . . . But overall the D played great. The skill players on offense missed a lot of plays.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 01:15 PM
With Bama we had no choice but to start passing the ball. They were stuffing our run and if we wanted to get back in it we had to pass the ball which we did relatively well except for the picks but with ole miss, they wont be able to stop our run so we will continue to ram it down their throat.

This myth needs to stop

JRob had 4 carries in the 1st half- after the safety debacle- he had runs of 4, 4, and 7. How is that "stuffing the run"????

I seen it dawg
11-17-2014, 01:19 PM
We tried about 18 different ****ing things in the first half instead of sticking with what we do. Pound the damn rock with JRob. It opens our entire offense. We called plays as if the pounding the rock had already happened. We skipped that part.

thunderclap
11-17-2014, 01:23 PM
We tried about 18 different ****ing things in the first half instead of sticking with what we do. Pound the damn rock with JRob. It opens our entire offense. We called plays as if the pounding the rock had already happened. We skipped that part.

Yup.