PDA

View Full Version : The committee was a horrible idea

cheewgumm
11-16-2014, 11:16 PM
And the politics of it is disgusting. You have the sports networks all jockeying, conferences jockeying .

It's going to get really bad in future years. They should go as much computer as possible. People can't be relied on to make a fair assessment.

SDDawg
11-16-2014, 11:17 PM
If we are in, I am in full support of it. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!!!

msstate7
11-16-2014, 11:17 PM
People can't be trusted feeding the computer

TUSK
11-16-2014, 11:20 PM
And the politics of it is disgusting. You have the sports networks all jockeying, conferences jockeying .

It's going to get really bad in future years. They should go as much computer as possible. People can't be relied on to make a fair assessment.

whoa, Gumm... extrapolate, please...

(I likely have similar thoughts)

JohnnyQuid
11-16-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm scared of it getting into a situation where they try to force diversity into it - having all 4 teams from different conferences or different regions of the country.

cheewgumm
11-16-2014, 11:36 PM
I honestly thought the point of it was to end SEC dominance, until I heard somehow that Slive was involved. However, I think the reason Slive was involved was
Because of 2004 when Awwwwbarn got shafted. ( I hate
Them so I'm glad but that's not
The point.)

When the computers were heavily
Involved ( last 10-12 years or whenever the BCS came into full fruition, the SEC is in it every year because it's obvious our schedules are tougher. It's
Not close. It explains Bama Beating out Ok State that year. They were the better team. If we had had this committee, LSU would have prison raped Ok State for the title.

I think this is going to lead to more "balance" due to political pressure on the committee. The country is sick of the SEC and the committee is going to fix it in time. It's just a travesty to me and i predict it ends up hurting the SEC. Soon Oklahoma and USC will be playing for the title with undefeated LSU watching deo
The sidelines because Condi Ricw "thinks " USC is better.

Sorry, on
Phone so may be a little scrambled.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 11:36 PM

It's only a horrible idea if the committee gets political. To this point they haven't and that bodes well for us.

If the committee gets political, then I think there will be a short life span to it. Putting a 1 loss MSU in the playoff may piss some people off, but you can't argue it from an objective standpoint. MSU would simply have the best wins and best loss of any other 1 loss teams, and the committee can stand behind that and justify it.

They can't justify putting in Ohio State, Baylor, or TCU just because they are the Big 10 champ or Co-Big 12 champ, when their resume wouldn't compete with MSU's. They can't do this because of Notre Dame and BYU not having conferences. How would they treat them in the future? Should MSU be punished because they are in a conference?
Would Notre Dame be in the playoff if they had 1 loss at Alabama?

The point is there are many eyes on the committee, and, since this is the first year, they will set precedents for the future. If they choose a conference champion with a worse resume than MSU, then they've set a precedent that that's what they'll do in the future. Under those circumstances, we may as well just only take conference champs. The committee won't want to set this precedent, and that's why they will be objective and take the team with the best resume, which would be MSU if we beat Ole Miss.

What we all need to do is:STOP LISTENING TO THE BIASED TALKING HEADS THAT DON'T HAVE TO MAKE ANY DECISIONS OR HAVE SKIN IN THE DECISION MAKING PROCESS.

We need to give the committee a chance, because, at this point they've been objective, and it's only the biased talking heads that are speculating that they will screw someone. Until that happens, I think we should give them a chance and assume they'll do the right thing.

cheewgumm
11-16-2014, 11:43 PM
It will get really political. People
Can't help themselves.

I don't know what happens this year and I hope we get in, but I know Human nature so I know where it's going.

I will be surprised if we get in the year. I think even now they will try to diversify.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 11:49 PM
It will get really political. People
Can't help themselves.

I don't know what happens this year and I hope we get in, but I know Human nature so I know where it's going.

I will be surprised if we get in the year. I think even now they will try to diversify.

I understand the fear and I am worried as well, but, at this point, they have not been political, and I don't think we should assume that they will be.

IMO, they can't afford to be political if they want this playoff and their positions to last.

At this point, I believe it's an irrational fear to assume they'll be political when they've shown no such behavior up till now.

You can't listen to what the talking heads say because there are no consequences or blame for their decisions. People say all sorts of things until they actually have to make decisions that they will be held accountable for.

I look for the committee to do the right thing.

dawgs
11-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Take off the tin foil hats folks. It's gonna be fine, and the people on the committee are strong enough personalities and have enough self-respect that they aren't going to compromise their opinions because of some bullshit. How about letting it play out before we start calling it a failure.

cheewgumm
11-16-2014, 11:51 PM
I do think you should listen to the taking heads becaus if they think that then some on the committee do too. I think the SEC should take an FDR approach and pack the court. I'm half joking but think that is what it will come to. There is a lot of $$$ on the line. It will be worth jockeying for spots on the committee. Who chooses those
Anyway?

cheewgumm
11-16-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm not saying it's failing right now just that on time it is going to fail.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 11:57 PM
I do think you should listen to the taking heads becaus if they think that then some on the committee do too. I think the SEC should take an FDR approach and pack the court. I'm half joking but think that is what it will come to. There is a lot of $$$ on the line. It will be worth jockeying for spots on the committee. Who chooses those
Anyway?

I'm not saying it's failing right now just that on time it is going to fail.

Disagree, because the talking heads don't have to make decisions. Anyone that ever been in a decision making position would understand this. Many people have all sorts of "off the cuff" opinions, and will say whatever they want to fulfill their goal; i.e. Page hits, being a cult hero, etc... However, when you have to make actual decisions that you will be held accountable for, most people attempt to find the CYA move. The CYA move is usually the most objective move and the one in which the evidence most supports.

If MSU wins out, MSU will be the CYA move. Best wins and best loss. It would be easily justifiable. Many people would be pissed, but it would be the most justifiable position.

On your second statement, you may be correct, but at this point there is no evidence to support that they will fail or get political.

My own personal opinion is that the committee is a formality to make sure the right teams get in the playoff. I actually think their jobs are very easy. Their only job is to not over think it and stick to the data. I think they will.

Also, something to keep in mind, our resume took a hit last night, but it will get better by default.

LSU and A&M play. The winner will likely sneak back into the top 25. Auburn and Bama also play. If Auburn wins, it helps our win column and gets us to Atlanta, and if Bama wins, it helps our loss still be the best.

shoeless joe
11-17-2014, 12:09 AM
Up until now there is zero evidence that the committee will be swayed by media and talking heads. I guess that could change but at this point I think it's a waist of time to worry about it.

TUSK
11-17-2014, 12:14 AM
I thought the playoff (in some people's minds) would hurt the sec's dominance. In reality, it should help the SEC....

My fears were that the committee would go all "poli correct" and include undeserving teams based on conference championships, diversity or winning % solely.

As a selfish rat-bastard Bammer, I LOVE the idea that my team can choke a game (or two) and still play for all the marbles... Frick, if UA had made a playoff 09-14, there's a decent chance "we" could have 6 consecutive national championships....

Quaoarsking
11-17-2014, 12:14 AM
So far the Committee has been apolitical. Yes, I realize there is a possibility that the Committee could buckle to outside pressure and could, for example, place Ohio State instead of us in the last spot in the playoff. But there's no reason to expect that right now based on what we've seen.

Todd4State
11-17-2014, 12:16 AM
At this point we have no idea what the committee will or won't do because this is the first year of it. So far, it looks like it is working up to this point, so there is no reason for us to worry about anything other than winning our remaining games.

No matter what system is in place, there will always be debate over who should or shouldn't be in.

Todd4State
11-17-2014, 12:18 AM
I thought the playoff (in some people's minds) would hurt the sec's dominance. In reality, it should help the SEC....

My fears were that the committee would go all "poli correct" and include undeserving teams based on conference championships, diversity or winning % solely.

As a selfish rat-bastard Bammer, I LOVE the idea that my team can choke a game (or two) and still play for all the marbles... Frick, if UA had made a playoff 09-14, there's a decent chance "we" could have 6 consecutive national championships....

This was my fear too- that they would just pick four conference champs and let them go at it without regard for anything else.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 12:24 AM
This was my fear too- that they would just pick four conference champs and let them go at it without regard for anything else.

I don't think they do this because it sets a precedent and screws them if Notre Dame or BYU is in the conversation in the future.

If Notre Dame had our resume, would they be in the top 4? If your answer to this is "Yes" then the same should be and likely will be held true for MSU. The committee can't set that precedent.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 12:42 AM
All this being said, far more "talking heads" had us in the playoff today than out.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2014, 01:09 AM
One last thought:
While watching this play out, I am beginning to get excited about the SEC's new rule of having to play 1 power 5 team.

True, some SEC teams will lose, but, overall, the SEC will greatly benifit because we will destroy the cases of other conferences. We will be able to give them their loss and set the standard in college football.

Think how much Arkansas' win over Texas Tech, LSU's win over Wisconsin, and Auburn's win over K State, is helping our case right now. The new rule will make this even greater.

It should scare other conferences because it will likely lead to even more SEC teams in the final 4

bulldogcountry1
11-17-2014, 08:32 AM
To me, the committee is like a jury that is not sequestered, is free to roam around discussing the case for weeks on end, and everyone on the planet knows who they are. What are the odds of a fair trial? It will just get more and more political over time, like the NCAA did with the baseball host sites.

It's going to have to be moved to 8 teams to account for the forced diversity.

Political Hack
11-17-2014, 09:42 AM
To me, the committee is like a jury that is not sequestered, is free to roam around discussing the case for weeks on end, and everyone on the planet knows who they are. What are the odds of a fair trial? It will just get more and more political over time, like the NCAA did with the baseball host sites.

It's going to have to be moved to 8 teams to account for the forced diversity.

agree. we will see an 8 team playoff soon. that way none if the conferences can bitch about missing out. Having a 4 team playoff with five power conferences is about as dumb as you can get. Whoever though this was a logical long term solution sucks at math.

bluelightstar
11-17-2014, 10:09 AM
They don't have to have given the appearance of being apolitical yet, because conference championships haven't been played. They can put us at #4 and then change it in December once conference title games are played.

I feel really bad about this unless we go to Atlanta.