msstate7
11-16-2014, 07:57 PM
When is his return targeted for?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Mid December is what I heard.

Coach34
11-16-2014, 08:11 PM
We turned Jamont Gordon into a PG when he clearly wasnt. I think doing the same thing with Sword is a smart move for him and our team

msstate7
11-16-2014, 08:14 PM
We turned Jamont Gordon into a PG when he clearly wasnt. I think doing the same thing with Sword is a smart move for him and our team

I don't think we have a choice. Bloodman is just a backup and ready can't be counted on.

Excited to see sword tomorrow

Dawg61
11-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Stansbury turned Gordon into a PG not Ray and JG had the ability to make decisions as the floor general. Sword can drive to the basket but what else can he do? Now he's being asked to run the team and make the decisions. Not just normal decisions. Now they are decisions for all 5 players. Hope he can do it but it's no small task he's being asked to do.

Coach34
11-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm well aware who turned who into what. I have more faith in Ray coaching up a player than Stands. I think Sword will do well at PG by the end of the season.

Percho
11-16-2014, 09:54 PM
What's our record so far this year?

tcdog70
11-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm well aware who turned who into what. I have more faith in Ray coaching up a player than Stands. I think Sword will do well at PG by the end of the season.

What? Name one player Ray has "Coached Up". Stans had at least one AllSec player or more every year He coached. Name one all Sec player under Ray. He can't keep a point guard healthy much less coached up.

BulldogBacker
11-16-2014, 11:01 PM
What? Name one player Ray has "Coached Up". Stans had at least one AllSec player or more every year He coached. Name one all Sec player under Ray. He can't keep a point guard healthy much less coached up.

You obviously are still carrying some personal baggage over Rick Stansbury leaving. Instead of criticizing, you should go watch the team. Everyone is better. This is Rick Ray's 3rd year as coach. Coach Stansbury had lost control of the program. His "out of control" players were embarrassing Mississippi State.

Dawg61
11-16-2014, 11:18 PM
I have more faith in Ray coaching up a player than Stands.

Call a spade a spade. You're just going off your gut feeling because Ray hasn't shown he can develop anyone and he has no track record of doing it before MSU. Only thing Ray has shown us is that he's the worst coach of the 3 big sports in the last twenty years at MANAGING his roster. Also the worst at keeping it healthy. Stansbury had an awful Strength & Conditioning program but at least his team's where always in the CONDITION to be able to play. Ray doesn't seem to understand that injured players are in no type of CONDITION to play.

engie
11-16-2014, 11:21 PM
What? Name one player Ray has "Coached Up".

Do I really have to run these numbers for you for at least the 7th or 8th time?

engie
11-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Call a spade a spade. You're just going off your gut feeling because Ray hasn't shown he can develop anyone and he has no track record of doing it before MSU.
I've done the numbers game for you 10 times. LITERALLY every stat calls this line bullshit and stupid.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20141117-gjbc-59kb.jpg
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20141117-2uwf-64kb.jpg
Improvement literally everywhere but blocking. And you can damn near go across the board showing improvement in individual players. So damn busy pushing negativity that you never bother reviewing the actual facts.

Only thing Ray has shown us is that he's the worst coach of the 3 big sports in the last twenty years at MANAGING his roster.
You forgot about Cohen's first 2 years.

Stansbury had an awful Strength & Conditioning program but at least his team's where always in the CONDITION to be able to play.
Injuries are part of playing hard in basketball. Have yet to see it conclusively as a Ray problem. In reality, we've had ONE ACL/season-ending injury in 2 years now. At some point, 3 years ago is an outlier.

Dawg61
11-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Players naturally develop. Have a cardboard cutout of John Wooden as a coach and any player would have a slight progression in their skills if they practiced basketball 4 hours a day every day. Ray doesn't get credit for natural progression any maturing player would already incur with or without him.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Players naturally develop. Have a cardboard cutout of John Wooden as a coach and any player would have a slight progression in their skills if they practiced basketball 4 hours a day every day. Ray doesn't get credit for natural progression any maturing player would already incur with or without him.

that's not true- or at least it wasnt under Stands- there are plenty of examples to show it as well. I'll start with Barry Stewart:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/32035/barry-stewart

chef dixon
11-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Jamont was already natural with the ball in his hands. Sort of if you asked a small Lebron to be point guard. Sword is not a natural dribbler/ball handler so I see it as a much tougher transition. I realize we don't have much of a choice, but Bloodman doesn't play poorly, he just isn't anything special.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Jamont was already natural with the ball in his hands. Sort of if you asked a small Lebron to be point guard. Sword is not a natural dribbler/ball handler so I see it as a much tougher transition. I realize we don't have much of a choice, but Bloodman doesn't play poorly, he just isn't anything special.

Seriously? Jamont averaged 4 turnovers per game for his career. As bad as Sword was his Freshman year, he still had less turnovers than Gordon his Freshman year....some of you guys need to check actual stats instead of going off failed memories

thedawg
11-17-2014, 08:53 AM
We are improved this year... go to games support... stop being a piss ant.. I went to ten games rays first year as miserable as it was and about 10 last year... went the other night... we are improved in every way even without Sword and Ready.. when we get them back we have a chance to be a scrappy NIT challenging team.. if we arnt we can all get out the pitchforks.. until then support them or shut up

Coach34
11-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Well, if they show up and support the team- which would give us a home court advantage- it might allow Ray to start winning some games and make an NIT push. If he does that- that can't throw it in stricklin's face or admit they were wrong.

So if Ray is gonna do it- he's gonna have to do it without crowd support

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Well, if they show up and support the team- which would give us a home court advantage- it might allow Ray to start winning some games and make an NIT push. If he does that- that can't throw it in stricklin's face or admit they were wrong.

I go to the games--do you?

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
that's not true- or at least it wasnt under Stands- there are plenty of examples to show it as well. I'll start with Barry Stewart:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/32035/barry-stewart

Life always has exceptions to the rule. Barry came in as a pretty mature player already. For every Barry Stewart you pull up I can pull up a Winsome Frazier, Ravern Johnson, Kodi Augustus, Ben Hansbrough, Jarvis Varnado, Timmy Bowers.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Life always has exceptions to the rule. Barry came in as a pretty mature player already. For every Barry Stewart you pull up I can pull up a Winsome Frazier, Ravern Johnson, Kodi Augustus, Ben Hansbrough, Jarvis Varnado, Timmy Bowers.

ok- I now present Gary Ervin- http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/15508/gary-ervin

I can add more also if you want?

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 02:12 PM
ok- I now present Gary Ervin- http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/15508/gary-ervin

I can add more also if you want?

Another player that came in already mature. For your Gary Ervin there's a Charles Rhodes, Mario Austin, Phil Turner, Brian Bryant, Derick Zimmerman, Romero Osby. I'm adding six to your one.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Another player that came in already mature. For your Gary Ervin there's a Charles Rhodes, Mario Austin, Phil Turner, Brian Bryant, Derick Zimmerman, Romero Osby. I'm adding six to your one.

But you said "everybody" gets better naturally....and yes "everybody" did under Ray....but unfortunately, not "everybody" did under Stands

Coach34
11-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Another- Jamont Gordon...stats went down from his Soph to Jr year

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4378/type/college/jamont-gordon

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 02:33 PM
But you said "everybody" gets better naturally....and yes "everybody" did under Ray....but unfortunately, not "everybody" did under Stands

Stans has 14 years to pull anomalies from. Ray is on year three. So far the only player I see that's imoroved noticeably is Ware and that's because of his work in the weight room and his improved shooting. I'll give Ray some credit for Ware although I still think Ware makes the same improvement regardless who the coach is. Answer one question for me. Does the average player improve between the ages 18-22 when they play basketball for four hours a day?

msstate7
11-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Dawg61... Do you pull for ray or Om when they play? Seems you're really against our basketball program

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Dawg61... Do you pull for ray or Om when they play? Seems you're really against our basketball program

maybe He pulls for MSU--Being negative about Ray doesn't mean you want our team to lose. I guess you were all positive for Croom ? Until Ray proves different I hope he is fired as soon as possible. Just like I wanted Croom's ass gone. Does that mean I am not for the Dogs to win. Please RR prove me wrong.

Coach34
11-17-2014, 02:46 PM
So far the only player I see that's imoroved noticeably is Ware and that's because of his work in the weight room and his improved shooting.

Engie posted the numbers- everybody improved. It cant be argued- and the fact that you are shows some real bias against Ray

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 02:47 PM

please run your stats. I really enjoy them****

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Seriously? Jamont averaged 4 turnovers per game for his career. As bad as Sword was his Freshman year, he still had less turnovers than Gordon his Freshman year....some of you guys need to check actual stats instead of going off failed memories

for every turnover Jamont made he got two rebounds and more assists. Jamont was an All SEC player--Lets see ole RR coach up a player to that level

engie
11-17-2014, 02:50 PM
please run your stats. I really enjoy them****

Already did. The boundlessness of your ignorance in both well-known and expected this argument though.

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 02:51 PM

well you gonna answer? do you go to the games? or just preach about how other people should go?

preachermatt83
11-17-2014, 02:54 PM
well you gonna answer? do you go to the games? or just preach about how other people should go?

arguing with Engie is a waste of time. Trust me. He thinks everyone who does not agree with every word he says is just an idiot. Im anxious to see how he feels when RR bombs again this year. Im sure he will make some excuse for him.

preachermatt83
11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
maybe He pulls for MSU--Being negative about Ray doesn't mean you want our team to lose. I guess you were all positive for Croom ? Until Ray proves different I hope he is fired as soon as possible. Just like I wanted Croom's ass gone. Does that mean I am not for the Dogs to win. Please RR prove me wrong.

nailed it!!

engie
11-17-2014, 03:07 PM
arguing with Engie is a waste of time. Trust me. He thinks everyone who does not agree with every word he says is just an idiot. Im anxious to see how he feels when RR bombs again this year. Im sure he will make some excuse for him.

You forgot -- when Rick Ray "bombs" this year -- I'm not talking basketball anymore here. In reality, that's going to be you. And after your laugher of a baseball bet, you'll be done talking anything on here outside of football.

What you fail to understand is -- it is possible to argue against the merits of Rick Ray without saying anything totally stupid to posterize yourself. A number of people here do that daily. All 3 of you in particular say stupid shit that isn't even remotely shrouded in any form of reality -- and when I show the stats calling it stupid -- you keep right on chugging along and say the same stupid shit again next week. THAT is why I think you are an idiot. Not because you don't like Rick Ray -- because you can't argue your position without making a fool of yourself in ignorance and outright lies.

preachermatt83
11-17-2014, 03:13 PM
u still think that Ray wins more than 17 games this year in the regular season? DUde you gonna be done talking basketball very soon on this board. what did I bet on Baseball? I know I said we would be lucky to win 30 games but don't remember betting. pretty sure I didn't

engie
11-17-2014, 03:18 PM
u still think that Ray wins more than 17 games this year in the regular season?
He has to win 17. Not more than 17. And that'll be it for you.

DUde you gonna be done talking basketball very soon on this board.
We'll see.

what did I bet on Baseball? I know I said we would be lucky to win 30 games but don't remember betting. pretty sure I didn't
You did. Everyone saw it -- and I have it quoted and bookmarked, so don't bother trying to crawfish on that one or otherwise trying to pull a Will James late edit. It's there -- and it's preserved.

Goat from MSU
11-17-2014, 03:23 PM
engie I am going to try to help you out here ,Guys we should win 20 games here due to the fact we have 5 guys with at least 800 min. of SEC play .Remember I want Ray gone because I did not like this hire to begin with. He has improve this team so as I said before let it play out . engie is your degree in E.E at State ?
You forgot -- when Rick Ray "bombs" this year -- I'm not talking basketball anymore here. In reality, that's going to be you. And after your laugher of a baseball bet, you'll be done talking anything on here outside of football.

What you fail to understand is -- it is possible to argue against the merits of Rick Ray without saying anything totally stupid to posterize yourself. A number of people here do that daily. All 3 of you in particular say stupid shit that isn't even remotely shrouded in any form of reality -- and when I show the stats calling it stupid -- you keep right on chugging along and say the same stupid shit again next week. THAT is why I think you are an idiot. Not because you don't like Rick Ray -- because you can't argue your position without making a fool of yourself in ignorance and outright lies.

msstate7
11-17-2014, 03:34 PM
I just don't understand the complaining now. Maybe there will be deserved criticism tonight, but not yet. Give Ray a shot. If he blows that shot, then rip em

Coach34
11-17-2014, 03:37 PM
for every turnover Jamont made he got two rebounds and more assists.

Jamont had 484 assists to 403 Turnovers...that's not exactly real good

Dee Bost on the other hand- a true PG- had 533 to 379 in 4 seasons to Jamont's 3. Less total turnovers while playing an extra season.

MadDawg
11-17-2014, 03:46 PM
I just don't understand the complaining now. Maybe there will be deserved criticism tonight, but not yet. Give Ray a shot. If he blows that shot, then rip em

After living with year after year after year after year of relentless, unending and a lot of times unwarranted criticism of the basketball program, it's hard for some to move back into a frame of mind that we should give the coaches and players every benefit of the doubt possible, even suspending rational thought and reason if necessary. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Hell, to a lot of folks that's what being a fan is all about. But we were conditioned otherwise. We were taught to be extremely critical and to pounce on any perceived weakness. We were taught to set the bar high, and to fall short meant you sucked. We were taught winning 20 games was for pussies and means you suck to the point of needing to be fired. We were taught being only behind Kentucky and Florida in SEC wins was a joke and didn't mean anything. We were told that making the NIT was NEVER acceptable. Ever.
It's hard to shake that, for some.

msstate7
11-17-2014, 03:52 PM
After living with year after year after year after year of relentless, unending and a lot of times unwarranted criticism of the basketball program, it's hard for some to move back into a frame of mind that we should give the coaches and players every benefit of the doubt possible, even suspending rational thought and reason if necessary. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Hell, to a lot of folks that's what being a fan is all about. But we were conditioned otherwise. We were taught to be extremely critical and to pounce on any perceived weakness. We were taught to set the bar high, and to fall short meant you sucked. We were taught winning 20 games was for pussies and means you suck to the point of needing to be fired. We were taught being only behind Kentucky and Florida in SEC wins was a joke and didn't mean anything. We were told that making the NIT was NEVER acceptable. Ever.
It's hard to shake that, for some.

Haha... Point taken

Still think everyone (myself included) should support ray as much as possible this year. I know I've been terribly guilty of not showing up for games. I think we have a decent shot at being a much improved team and land a program changer in Newman. That said we can't possibly expect to get him screaming "fire ray" and not supporting our team with attendance. You think our team is fired up to play in an empty hump? You think Malik wants to play in that environment?

MadDawg
11-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Haha... Point taken

Still think everyone (myself included) should support ray as much as possible this year. I know I've been terribly guilty of not showing up for games. I think we have a decent shot at being a much improved team and land a program changer in Newman. That said we can't possibly expect to get him screaming "fire ray" and not supporting our team with attendance. You think our team is fired up to play in an empty hump? You think Malik wants to play in that environment?

I'm certainly on board with giving Ray a chance. How ever long that takes. What other choice is there? I've pretty much decided to take a "wait and see" approach. The rules are different now. It's a different program. Different direction. Different expectations. Different goals. I'll wait to see how this plays out.

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 04:13 PM

I'm not against our program. I'm frustrated with our AD and Pres. I was screaming for us to hire Bruce Pearl last year. Pearl would have us in the NCAA tourney THIS YEAR.

Dawg61
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Jamont had 484 assists to 403 Turnovers...that's not exactly real good

Dee Bost on the other hand- a true PG- had 533 to 379 in 4 seasons to Jamont's 3. Less total turnovers while playing an extra season.

Dee Bost wasn't a PG in high school. He was a star QB and a SG and Stan's converted him to a PG.

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Already did. The boundlessness of your ignorance in both well-known and expected this argument though.

Engie, you might be the biggest dick head on message boards. You sit back and call people names and all you can offer is some dumb ass selective stats. hell if you look at stats of the game Sat . you would think we won. Stats are for people who don't have enough sense to recognize what they are watching. here is what I see, a HC over His head that has in a short time set a bench mark for all time loses. he can't recruit a PG. But He has you to provide stats telling us how great we are doing. I wish you could see me face to face and tell me about my boundless ignorance. Have you ever played basketball, coached basketball --what make you such the end all know all of MSU basketball. How bout you believe what you believe and I will believe what I believe and let's both try not to be assholes.

engie
11-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Engie, you might be the biggest dick head on message boards.
Thx

You sit back and call people names
I'll offer you examples from your own single post of how I reach such assessments of dumbassery.

all you can offer is some dumb ass selective stats.
EX 1: What was "selective" about the stats I offered in this thread? I offered full-year stats -- ALL meaningful individual player stats across the board -- for the entirity of Ray's 2-year tenure. There is nothing "selective" about that -- and calling it "selective" after making an all-inclusive comment that flies in the face of the statistical reality = you being a dumb ass.

Fact is, you'd struggle to show me a "selective stat" that showed where ANY single player actually regressed from year 1 to year 2 -- and team wide, you can't make the argument on any level whatsoever. But I'm the one being "selective" -- while you aren't? In reality, there isn't anything for you to "select" statistically to support your agenda.

hell if you look at stats of the game Sat . you would think we won.
No joke? So, you are trying to reduce the facts shown in whole-year stats to a single game? Fact -- I can tell you all 5 of Mullen's teams on paper -- and I can accurately rank them based on those year-long stats.

Stats are for people who don't have enough sense to recognize what they are watching.
EX #2: Almost a whole paragraph before the "I'm smarter than the across-the-board, all-inclusive stats" statement. And you are seriously asking why I don't hold your opinion in high regard?

here is what I see, a HC over His head
In what way do you actually see this? Tangible explanations only, please.

that has in a short time set a bench mark for all time loses
EX #3: Not learning from past screw ups. Again spouting bs, historical untruths as fact. You need only look back only TWO basketball coaches to find one that started worse than Rick Ray. You may or may not remember his name(given your supposed complete lack of apparent knowledge in MSU basketball history given the statement made) -- as the guy who eventually led us to the final 4.

he can't recruit a PG.
EX #4: If we are so terribly regressive at PG -- why did our assist count improve 20% from year 1 to year 2 -- and our turnover ratio go down 20% from year 1 to year 2? I forgot -- your eyes are smarter than stats are**

But He has you to provide stats telling us how great we are doing.
EX #5: I never talked about "how great we are doing". I simply called your bs out on "how terrible we are and how we've got no hope" and backed my position with numbers. Something you obviously can not do. What should I call the inability to shroud one's opinion in anything tangible -- if not what I've already called it?

I wish you could see me face to face and tell me about my boundless ignorance.
EX #6: The internet threat. I have to believe you are smarter IRL than you are in computer debate, because you've managed to escape Darwinism thusfar. IRL, it's easy to disassociate with dumb people. Here, it's quite a bit more difficult.

Have you ever played basketball, coached basketball
EX #7: Questioning the background of others without providing any context of your own qualifications.

No. Dunno how I ended up with these 2 overall state championship rings. Nor how my mentor ended up winning pretty big in the college ranks at multiple levels.

--what make you such the end all know all of MSU basketball.
EX #8: The straw man argument when you begin to realize the flaws of your overall position.

I don't think I am. Pointing out that you are a basketball dumbass doesn't mean that I think I am a basketball genius. There is probably a quarter-to-half dozen posters here who are better basketball minds than I am -- and a half dozen individuals who are infinitely more attached to the current basketball program and booster structure than I am. I'm smart enough to listen and learn from those people and relay what I get from them. I happily accept that and have never claimed otherwise.

How bout you believe what you believe and I will believe what I believe and let's both try not to be assholes.
Ok.

If you want to olive branch this -- here is how. Believe however/whatever you want to believe -- and I won't have any problem with it. Just don't make dumb, inclusive statements that fly in the face of reality and can be easily disproven as ridiculous with a couple of screen grabs. There is PLENTY of ways to not "believe" in Ray without saying anything ridiculous. Cadaver, Hack, Ennis and many others here that I respect somehow manage to do a pretty good job with that -- because they take a logically negative approach and leave it at that. Even Maddawg and a number of the known most hardcore Stans supporters have figured out how to have this conversation over time -- and I respect their opinions and approach. If you would do the same, I would respect yours also.

chef dixon
11-17-2014, 08:13 PM

You are blind if you can't just watch both of them play and not tell that Jamont was just much more fluid and comfortable handling the ball.

Homedawg
11-17-2014, 08:18 PM
for every turnover Jamont made he got two rebounds and more assists. Jamont was an All SEC player--Lets see ole RR coach up a player to that level

Jamont was a top 30 player in the country out of high school, he should be all sec! Stansbury should get credit for signing him, yes, coaching him up- not so much.

preachermatt83
11-17-2014, 10:00 PM
He has to win 17. Not more than 17. And that'll be it for you.

We'll see.

You did. Everyone saw it -- and I have it quoted and bookmarked, so don't bother trying to crawfish on that one or otherwise trying to pull a Will James late edit. It's there -- and it's preserved.

ok, not saying I didn't , I just don't remember it. I recall the exact wording of the basketball one but what was the baseball one?

Coach34
11-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Wow Engie...what a ****ing beatdown. You should have played the 1B's to get some experience and not have run the score up so high. Shit that was bad

Homedawg
11-17-2014, 10:25 PM
ok, not saying I didn't , I just don't remember it. I recall the exact wording of the basketball one but what was the baseball one?

Paraphrasing- we won't win 30 games.

preachermatt83
11-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Paraphrasing- we won't win 30 games.

oh I know I said something along those lines and still feel that way... I sure hope im wrong tho but I am asking what the bet was? if I recall I agreed to the basketball one but refused the baseball one. The reason I know this is bc I was ridiculed for betting "against us" when I bet we wouldn't win 17 games in basketball but yet refused to bet on the baseball deal

BiscuitEater
11-18-2014, 11:34 AM

But ONLY comparing player stats from one year to the next without looking at 'all' variables is TOTALLY BOGUS analysis. Yea, players numbers were better in year 2 BUT there are other factors that HAVE to be considered ... well like SOS, level of competition and 'who' we played.

Like ... We swapped a lot of year one 'North Carolina, Marquette, Texas & Providence' type teams for way more 'Prairie View, Kennesaw State, Mississippi Valley State, & Jackson State' type teams in year two. One would hope our numbers went up when the level of OOC competition plummeted. Thus, a casual observer would note that our OOC record went from a losing 6-8 in year one to a winning 11-4 in year two... that shows improvement .. right?

But look how we fared in SEC competition... 4-14 in year one to 3-15 in year two. Improvement? Guess we will see in year three.

engie
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
But ONLY comparing player stats from one year to the next without looking at 'all' variables is TOTALLY BOGUS analysis. Yea, players numbers were better in year 2 BUT there are other factors that HAVE to be considered ... well like SOS, level of competition and 'who' we played.
You are welcome to incorporate them however you like -- if you think you can or will actually paint a different picture. You'll struggle to do so without some pretty advanced math -- hence why what I gave was the most macro overall view of our team that is easily available. If you can find me an "adjustedstats" site for College Basketball, I'd thank you greatly for it, because I've yet to find anything decent in that regards...

Like ... We swapped a lot of year one 'North Carolina, Marquette, Texas & Providence' type teams for way more 'Prairie View, Kennesaw State, Mississippi Valley State, & Jackson State' type teams in year two.
SOS:
yr 1: 122 - 7rpi top 50 games(1w), 20RPItop200(2w), 8-4 vs 201+ teams
yr 2: 158 - 5rpi top 50 games, 23 RPItop200(5w), 9-1 vs 201+ teams
Hardly a truly defining scheduling difference...

My point has always been that if we see the same statistical improvement again -- this becomes a "good" MSU team...

One would hope our numbers went up when the level of OOC competition plummeted.
Numbers don't really support that it plummeted. While we didn't play elite OOC teams in year 2, we didn't play as many totally terrible ones either.

Thus, a casual observer would note that our OOC record went from a losing 6-8 in year one to a winning 11-4 in year two... that shows improvement .. right?

But look how we fared in SEC competition... 4-14 in year one to 3-15 in year two. Improvement? Guess we will see in year three.
Which is why you have to look at the whole picture...as individual pieces can more easily be skewed to fit whatever narrative...

Again, I'd love a good adjustedstats basketball site. The more SOS-independent data is out there, the better...