PDA

View Full Version : Why with first and goal at the 1 are we in the shotgun? Put your 235 lb. Heisman...

IMissJack
11-16-2014, 06:08 PM
contender under center and dive 4 times for a touchdown. Even if we didn't get it, they are pinned at the one. We let the linemen sit in their positions too long while Day looks over the D, until one of the linemen rocks and moves us back to the 6. Just walk up under center and say go... It seems like coaches make things too difficult sometimes.

TUSK
11-16-2014, 06:13 PM
contender under center and dive 3 times for a touchdown. We let the linemen sit in their positions too long while Day looks over the D, until one of the linemen rocks and moves us back to the 6. Just walk up under center and say go... It seems like coaches make things too difficult sometimes.

I thought and said the exact same thing, Jack...

even though MSU's OL was over matched in that game, you gotta man up and give it a try... esp with such a big QB... at least once.

sleepy dawg
11-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Because we don't play under center, and probably aren't practicing it. Maybe we should, but we don't.

thf24
11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
That 235 lbs. does him a hell of a lot more good in the shotgun where he can get some momentum, while it's practically not a factor under center. The shotgun also gives him a better chance to locate and hit a hole. The only factor involved in a QB sneak from under center is the o-line winning the push battle, and that's not a good bet against Bama. Plus, our offense is run exclusively from the shotgun. If we change up what we do on a situational basis, we're much more likely to make mistakes (as evidenced by other facets of the game last night). In short, it would have been stupid to line up under center and run a QB keeper in that situation.

IMissJack
11-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Looking over the stats I'm not sure how they were overmatched any more than Bama's OL (prior to the last drive). But, I will admit it was tough to run inside, but you would think Prescott's odds of getting 1yd was as good as any other play.

IMissJack
11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
I disagree, but everyone has an opinion.

TUSK
11-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Looking over the stats I'm not sure how they were overmatched any more than Bama's OL (prior to the last drive). But, I will admit it was tough to run inside, but you would think Prescott's odds of getting 1yd was as good as any other play.

I didn't mean to infer that Bama dominated both lines of scrimmage.

IMissJack
11-16-2014, 06:40 PM
I didn't mean to infer that Bama dominated both lines of scrimmage.

no problem

dawgs
11-16-2014, 09:18 PM
That 235 lbs. does him a hell of a lot more good in the shotgun where he can get some momentum, while it's practically not a factor under center. The shotgun also gives him a better chance to locate and hit a hole. The only factor involved in a QB sneak from under center is the o-line winning the push battle, and that's not a good bet against Bama. Plus, our offense is run exclusively from the shotgun. If we change up what we do on a situational basis, we're much more likely to make mistakes (as evidenced by other facets of the game last night). In short, it would have been stupid to line up under center and run a QB keeper in that situation.

Pretty much all of this. even if we occasionally practice taking snaps under center, last thing I want to see from us is a fumbled snap under center because we don't do it often/ever, especially with a Bama nose tackle over the center. And then as you pointed out, the weight is less of a factor without momentum.

tcdog70
11-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Maybe leave Dak in the Gun if we spread the field. Not if we come in tight and give him nowhere to run. Now if it is first and goal and less than a foot hell yes get under center and go on a silent count . Leaving you linemen down with a long snap count is asking for a false start.who here doesn't think that we score if Dak gets under center and sneaks the six inches?

thf24
11-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Maybe leave Dak in the Gun if we spread the field. Not if we come in tight and give him nowhere to run. Now if it is first and goal and less than a foot hell yes get under center and go on a silent count . Leaving you linemen down with a long snap count is asking for a false start.who here doesn't think that we score if Dak gets under center and sneaks the six inches?

It's not six inches. Even if the ball was spotted at the minimum distance it could possibly be without having been a touchdown on the previous play, when you take into account the distance between the ball and the center and the quarterback, it's at least a yard the quarterback has to travel. Without the QB putting the ball at risk, your center and one of the guards has to move whatever is coming downhill at them at least a yard straight ahead in the other direction, and as I already said, that's just not a good bet against Bama in a goal line defense. Better to put Dak in the shotgun where he normally plays, run our normal blocking scheme, and let him find a hole and hit it. It didn't work out for us, but we probably wouldn't have fared any better trying to simply out-muscle a physically superior front.

NCDawg
11-17-2014, 01:14 AM
It's not six inches. Even if the ball was spotted at the minimum distance it could possibly be without having been a touchdown on the previous play, when you take into account the distance between the ball and the center and the quarterback, it's at least a yard the quarterback has to travel. Without the QB putting the ball at risk, your center and one of the guards has to move whatever is coming downhill at them at least a yard straight ahead in the other direction, and as I already said, that's just not a good bet against Bama in a goal line defense. Better to put Dak in the shotgun where he normally plays, run our normal blocking scheme, and let him find a hole and hit it. It didn't work out for us, but we probably wouldn't have fared any better trying to simply out-muscle a physically superior front.

I disagree. With all the noise and the delay in calling for the snap, we had a motion penalty by our left guard. I think if he would have gone up under center and the ball snapped on a quick count, Prescott could have scored. Think the ball was on their one-half yard line. I recall we had a QB sneak in our playbook a year or 2 ago, but we haven't used it lately. JMO.

sbcmortgageman
11-17-2014, 05:39 AM
We couldn't do it four plays under center against USM. What makes you think we could do it against Bama.

thf24
11-17-2014, 08:43 AM
We couldn't do it four plays under center against USM. What makes you think we could do it against Bama.

Bingo. Our blocking scheme isn't designed and our o-line isn't built to push the defensive front in the other direction. Maybe we could have run a quick sneak and caught them in some confusion before they were ready, but if they were on point, it wouldn't have gone well for us. Better to stick to what we do instead of something we're not used to in a hurry-up situation in which Bama has the physical advantage. Just not a winning bet in my opinion.

C222
11-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Yep and alot of people bitched because we got under center.

DawgInMemphis
11-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Yep and alot of people bitched because we got under center.

People are going to complain regardless.

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 10:56 AM
I think complaining is in order when you have the ball first and goal from the half yard line and **** it up. Any NFL coach will tell you to get under center with your 235 # QB and sneak the ball when it is first down. leaving your OL down for 15 seconds is a cluster waiting to happen. But everyone has their opinion.

bluelightstar
11-17-2014, 10:59 AM
The major problem was the long count -- not the formation.

We are who we are. That's a power spread.

tcdog70
11-17-2014, 02:58 PM
when we take a knee are we in the spread? So take a direct snap must not be a problem. I'm talking a direct under the center snap when it is half-a yard and first down on the goal line. If that don't work then on 2nd down run your jump pass***

Liverpooldawg
11-17-2014, 03:01 PM
A

This.