PDA

View Full Version : Any remote chance that when Mullen

starkvegasdawg
11-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Was alone with his thoughts after that loss that he realized the 1a 1b concept needs to be at the very least tabled the rest of this season?

We need to treat every game from here on out like it is the national championship. Now that we have a loss we are no longer protected. All we are now is just one of many one loss teams. These last two games we need to do something to separate ourselves from the pack. That starts by stomping a mud hole in Vandy and then rinsing and repeating against the bears. If we then backdoor into the SECCG then great. We need to do that against UGA. If not, then we need to be the most impressive 11-1 team out there and we do that by putting our best 11 out there all game. To hell with the subbing. A starter doesn't come out unless he's injured or sucking wind so bad he just puked on the field.

Dawg4Life
11-16-2014, 03:17 PM
I've been saying this for weeks. After yesterday, I think the 1b's are here to stay. I agree that we need to separate ourselves from the others. I think if we win out we will be in the top 4 but there's no guarantee. I think the 1b's cost us a blowout win against UK which hurt our perception with some of the talking heads. I'm with you, we need to win these last two games convincingly.

Smitty
11-16-2014, 03:23 PM
I think the 1b's cost us a blowout win against UK which hurt our perception with some of the talking heads.

Made LSU close, made A&M closer, made UAB closer, could have cost Bama….

1B units have failed. Mass substitutions was an idiotic idea from the get go.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 03:23 PM
I agree. At this point there is no reason to "pace" ourselves or develop more depth. We have to win out, and it's that simple.

Saltydog
11-16-2014, 03:26 PM
player or two and rotating those subs on each series but subbing the whole unit is hurting us. You have to remember though, Mullen is hard headed. He's not going to change it. Wait and see.

C222
11-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Made LSU close, made A&M closer, made UAB closer, could have cost Bama?.

Yeah, I can't believe how bad of a season we are having. Damn 1b's.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2014, 03:33 PM

I've been OK with it because we needed to develop depth in order to stay healthy and pace ourselves through the season. However, at this point, an injury mean little and there is no longer a reason to pace ourselves. We need to SPRINT to the finish line, and that includes playing our best players till they pass out.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Having a 1a and 1b is actually a lazy concept. Coach Calipari at UK has already scrapped the concept 1 1/2 games into this season.

defiantdog
11-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Landon Collins never left the field for Bama. I've never understood why we don't keep our best players in unless they bring themselves out (in the big games). B. Brown, McKinney and Wells should be in the game 90% of them time. I'm at a lost with our safeties..... they just give me a headache. Ryan Brown and Preston Smith should have been in the game as much as possible too..... they were in the backfield every chance they had (C. Jones is not a DE..... sorry, he may be a good end in a 3-4 but not in Collins system).

Smitty
11-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I can't believe how bad of a season we are having. Damn 1b's.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 03:57 PM
This is why I say Dan lacks common sense sometimes. You want to play 1B's against UAB, South Alabama, heck even Kentucky? OK- fine. But to do it against Alabama is stupid. And yes, I understand that these guys can't go all 80 plays or whatever, but why not sub in a couple of guys on each unit rather than do NHL style mass subs?

I fully expect the 1B's to cost us a TD or two against Ole Miss. Nikoe on Moncrief.

bluelightstar
11-16-2014, 04:06 PM
This is why I say Dan lacks common sense sometimes. You want to play 1B's against UAB, South Alabama, heck even Kentucky? OK- fine. But to do it against Alabama is stupid. And yes, I understand that these guys can't go all 80 plays or whatever, but why not sub in a couple of guys on each unit rather than do NHL style mass subs?

I fully expect the 1B's to cost us a TD or two against Ole Miss. Nikoe on Moncrief.

Alabama only ran 64 plays, so I think we could've let a lot of our 1A guys play way more snaps.

TUSK
11-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Alabama only ran 64 plays, so I think we could've let a lot of our 1A guys play way more snaps.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned... I think State had 88 plays to Bammer's 63...

thank god for quality depth...

Coach007
11-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Made LSU close, made A&M closer, made UAB closer, could have cost Bama?.

You can not blame this loss on our 1bs. I ask that you or anybody else present where the issue with them was yesterday.

The mass substitutions has allowed:

1- our starters to be healthy at this point.
2- Thank God that we have all season, because next year we would stink it up with little experience returning.
3- If Dak and Josh return NEXT year, they will need a strong defense at the beginning of the season for a OL to gel.

Mass subs has not cost us one.. NOT ONE dang thing. We were #1. How did that cost MSU? We limited BAMA at BAMA. 211 passing yards! Who else has limited bama to 335 yards at their place?

BTW.. When the score 19-13 and bama drove the field, it was against the 1a group they did it on.
Out of the 335 yards allowed by our defense, that accounted for 76.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 05:44 PM
WVU allowed 538
FAU 620
USM 547
Uf 672
A&M 602

That's what teams gave up to bama at home.

GreenheadDawg
11-16-2014, 05:51 PM
You can not blame this loss on our 1bs. I ask that you or anybody else present where the issue with them was yesterday.

2- Thank God that we have all season, because next year we would stink it up with little experience returning.
3- If Dak and Josh return NEXT year, they will need a strong defense at the beginning of the season for a OL to gel.

Mass subs has not cost us one.. NOT ONE dang thing. We were #1. How did that cost MSU? We limited BAMA at BAMA. 211 passing yards! Who else has limited bama to 335 yards at their place?

BTW.. When the score 19-13 and bama drove the field, it was against the 1a group they did it on.

I see that your name is Coach but obviously you don't know dick about dick. If you honestly think that the 1B secondary is worth a shit I don't really know what to say to you. And yeh they did cost us. They cost us about 10 points. And I don't give a **** if they get 10,000 reps if they don't have the talent to play in the SEC then getting reps is not gonna change that. I'm fine with subbing in a couple guys at a time to get some people some rest but the whole entire defense subbing is just ****ing stupid

MSUDawg4Life
11-16-2014, 06:01 PM

You're absolutely right, but trying to explain it to these people is a waste of time. Once the peanut gallery gets hold of an idea, they won't let it go no matter how wrong they may be. Let's just be thankful none of them are our coaches.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Then lay your penis on the table and tell me where they cost us 10. Show me where that 10 was more costly than the 7 at the end of the game on our 1a group.

Then let's take your last ignorant comment to task about talent. We have to grow our talent. According to most people, we should not be competing at the level we are now.

GTHOM
11-16-2014, 06:10 PM
I think there is an obvious difference in the 1As and 1B secondary. Just about every big play that has been given up this year, outside of love getting beat against LSU a few times have been on the 1B secondary. the safeties in particular. i believe they can do it because they have made plays as well but i think our 1As should stay in as much as possible these last 2 games. Especially the safeties. The D line and LBs are solid on the 1B. But they are even better on 1A. For the life of me i dont understand why we dont use ryan brown, chris jones, preston smith, and kaleb eulls all at the same time. we have studs on the d line no doubt but knowing that we have to win out i say that the BEST PLAYERS should stay on the field as much as physically possible

missouridawg
11-16-2014, 06:18 PM
You're absolutely right, but trying to explain it to these people is a waste of time. Once the peanut gallery gets hold of an idea, they won't let it go no matter how wrong they may be. Let's just be thankful none of them are our coaches.

No kidding. It's almost like they are OM trolls who agree upon talking points each week to rile up our message boards at the slightest whiff of something gone wrong.

Morons gonna moron.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 06:22 PM
I think there is an obvious difference in the 1As and 1B secondary. Just about every big play that has been given up this year, outside of love getting beat against LSU a few times have been on the 1B secondary. the safeties in particular. i believe they can do it because they have made plays as well but i think our 1As should stay in as much as possible these last 2 games. Especially the safeties. The D line and LBs are solid on the 1B. But they are even better on 1A. For the life of me i dont understand why we dont use ryan brown, chris jones, preston smith, and kaleb eulls all at the same time. we have studs on the d line no doubt but knowing that we have to win out i say that the BEST PLAYERS should stay on the field as much as physically possible

There has been some differences. Some of it is due to the lack of playing too soft due to a lead. It's a young thing, not a talent issue. I'm thankful we have been able to play as much as we have.have. We lose alot on defense.

I understand the point of play the best from here out to secure the wins. I would love to see the break down of time in the Bama game between the groups.

The overall point here is people are upset about a loss. They need to blame it on something.. this just isn't the thing to complain about. It's not why we lost.

GreenheadDawg
11-16-2014, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=Coach;289857]Then lay your penis on the table and tell me where they cost us 10. Show me where that 10 was more costly than the 7 at the end of the game on our 1a group.

Then let's take your last ignorant comment to task about talent. We have to grow our talent. According to most people, we should not be competing at the level we are now.[/QUOTE

Why does my penis have anything to do with football. Thanks but I'm married.

Anyway, back to football. So after 10 games and the 1b secondary and LB haven't gotten any better in coverage and continue to look clueless. what does that mean? We have to "develop" their talent. Not every 2 star from small town MS turn out to be McKinney or banks. We will just agree to disagree on this point. I think you put your best on the field and sub 1-2 guys out at a time, not entire unit. Do you honestly believe we have 2 ****ing SEC caliber defenses? There is a reason Landon Collins never left the field. Their is a reason prewitt and Conner never leave the field. There is a reason McKinney "should " rarely leave the field

GTHOM
11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
There has been some differences. Some of it is due to the lack of playing too soft due to a lead. It's a young thing, not a talent issue. I'm thankful we have been able to play as much as we have.have. We lose alot on defense.

I understand the point of play the best from here out to secure the wins. I would love to see the break down of time in the Bama game between the groups.

The overall point here is people are upset about a loss. They need to blame it on something.. this just isn't the thing to complain about. It's not why we lost.

Im not saying its why we lost, we lost because we did not play or coach our best game, but the big plays bama got in this game the pass to fowler down the middle and coopers catch to our 1 were both on the 1Bs. Kentucky got some big plays on them as well, every secondary gets beat so im not jumping on their case. I would just like to see our best players get more snaps now that we absolutely have to win and win big

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 06:31 PM

I understand the need to develop talent and get experience. I do not understand why we have to put all of the back-ups in at the same time rather than mixing and matching. This isn't the NHL.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 06:41 PM
You were the one talking dicks.

Again.. please show me where out of the 335 yards we gave up that the 1b unit cost MSU the game. Right now, I see a 1a unit with 3 opportunities to stop bama on 3rd downs early in the 4th quarter in a scoring drive, and they did not do it.

GTHOM
11-16-2014, 06:46 PM
You were the one talking dicks.

Again.. please show me where out of the 335 yards we gave up that the 1b unit cost MSU the game. Right now, I see a 1a unit with 3 opportunities to stop bama on 3rd downs early in the 4th quarter in a scoring drive, and they did not do it.

I dont have a dog in this fight but the 1bs were out there when fowler had his big catch down the middle as well as cooper. they also ran it on our 1BS a lot better. Kentucky got some big plays on us against them too. Im not against rotating on D at all. You have to do it to have a chance but i dont agree with all 11 coming out

Coach007
11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't see an issue with it when you are ahead by 21.. 14. Let them play.... cause they will have to next year and this experience is valuable.

The complaint I see is we lost and people need a reason.

AROB44
11-16-2014, 06:50 PM
We lost because Bama was the better team on Sat. That is it.....nothing else. Another day we may be the better team. We weren't Sat.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I understand you are not saying it's why we lost. The 1bs were out there, they gave up yards. But it was on a rested 1a team that bama drove 76 yards on and it was mainly on the ground when they did it. 124 yards rushing gave up. That last 76 yard drive, 66 (unless I'm reading this wrong) was in rushing yards. That means up until that drive, whoever was on that field only gave up 58 yards on the ground.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't see an issue with it when you are ahead by 21.. 14. Let them play.... cause they will have to next year and this experience is valuable.

The complaint I see is we lost and people need a reason.

Well, why do you think we lost? I honestly don't think it's because we're significantly worse than Alabama. I think we could have and had we played better, we should have beaten Alabama. I wouldn't say it was just because of the 1B's. I think it was several factors on all sides of the ball.

But it's not like we played as well as we could and they were just more talented and better overall.

Todd4State
11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
I understand you are not saying it's why we lost. The 1bs were out there, they gave up yards. But it was on a rested 1a team that bama drove 76 yards on and it was mainly on the ground when they did it. 124 yards rushing gave up. That last 76 yard drive, 66 (unless I'm reading this wrong) was in rushing yards. That means up until that drive, whoever was on that field only gave up 58 yards on the ground.

Our 1B's allowed a key TD. They may not have given up a lot of yards- but that was probably because we sucked at punting the ball and gave them a short field. Had the 1B's not been out there, Bama doesn't get that key TD and the TD late in the game doesn't matter.

Regardless, there were any number of things that had we done any of them better, we probably win. Whether that's punting, running Robinson more, not making a penalty at the one yard line, not throwing an INT, etc.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh heck no. We are better than bama.

Our QB did not manage the game. 3 turnovers by Dak and 2 were not forced by Bama. You take what you can get and let your defense hold. It was the biggest game of his career. He lost focus. It happens. Not worried about Dak or this team though.

The other thing, just opinion here, is the last drive of the half. So many errors there. 1st and goal at the 1... penalty and now 1st and goal at the half yard. You gotta score there. Instead OL jumped(and we could blame and complain about that call had we played a perfect game) and now we are 1st and goal at the 6. It changed the play calling.

Coach007
11-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Our 1B's allowed a key TD. They may not have given up a lot of yards- but that was probably because we sucked at punting the ball and gave them a short field. Had the 1B's not been out there, Bama doesn't get that key TD and the TD late in the game doesn't matter.

Regardless, there were any number of things that had we done any of them better, we probably win. Whether that's punting, running Robinson more, not making a penalty at the one yard line, not throwing an INT, etc.

I don't think we can really say that. Market was in position on the play. Second, if the 1a unit is giving up points, we can't say that they would have stopped that play. We don't know. What we do know is we had a shot at 19-13 to make the come back and our 1a unit, rested... didn't make the plays.

Remember Hughes gave up a TD to cooper. Market was in better position than Hughes was.

War Machine Dawg
11-16-2014, 07:21 PM

No kidding. It's almost like they are OM trolls who agree upon talking points each week to rile up our message boards at the slightest whiff of something gone wrong.

Morons gonna moron.

http://i.imgur.com/T40NzdX.gif

EngineerDawg
11-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Raise the magnifying glass.

whosyourdawgy
11-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Having a 1a and 1b is actually a lazy concept. Coach Calipari at UK has already scrapped the concept 1 1/2 games into this season.

And 5 guys on a basketball court is so comparable to a 11 man defense on the football field

bulldawg28
11-16-2014, 09:57 PM
The 1b defense entirety isn't the problem. The problem is we don't have 1 Safety that plays disciplined enough to stay deep as the deepest man that's 7th grade football. Our safeties blow on both groups. The 2nd group lacks another playmaker Lb with Richie Brown and a safety that can touch a ball while it's in the air.